1. One stage per person. Pretty self-explanatory.
2. Teams of two are allowed to work on levels together.
3. Custom assets are allowed, but make sure to include all of them with your submission files.
4. Don't modify any existing objects without permission from the programmers/Pryo.
5. No NSFW content inside levels. If any of this is caught by the judges, your level will be disqualified.
6. You can have up to three energy elements in your level. When sending your level, tell Pyro how many your level has.
7. Make sure to title your room lvl(Level Name)_(Username) filling in username and level name with the relevant info. No parantheses. For example, lvlMushroom_CruiseElroy. If you have multiple rooms, just make it something like lvlMushroom_CruiseElroy_1, lvlMushroom_CruiseElroy_2, etc.
8. Suffix your custom assets with your username. For example, objMet_CruiseElroy.
9. Judging this time is supposed to be pretty much anonymous. Keep all level spoilers to #level-showcase on the Discord, or Private Messaging on the forums. If you leak your level, there will be score penalties.
More stuff might be added later.
1. There are no lives! In many people's opinions, lives really only serve to make you redo stuff you already beat, so they're gone. 1-Ups just give you a full health refill now.
2. This game will be featuring a new collectible, the Noble Nickel. You can have up to 5 in your stage, but you don't have to have any if you don't want to have them. Collecting all of these items will give a unique reward that has been decided on already.
3. Not all energy elements will be required to fight Wily; roughly 75% will be needed.
4. If your stage is too hard/obnoxious/long/glitchy/whatever that makes it super incredibly not fun to play, your level might be made skippable, with all energy elements and collectibles available in one special room. This (hopefully) won't happen to too many levels, though.
5. Make sure to test your level!!!
City War from the original is infamous for not being tested thoroughly!
6. Enemy variety is important! Please don't just make your level filled with Mets, Sniper/Hammer Joes, and Croakers! There's a ton of stuff to work with so don't just stick to the basics!
7. Place checkpoints frequently! No one likes having to redo a ton of stuff whenever they die!
HOW TO SUBMIT
1. Go to the top left, and click "File" and find the dropdown menu.
2. Select "Export Resources".
3. Create a .gmres for each type of resource separately, and name them based on what resource is inside. i.e., "CruiseElroy_Sprites.gmres", "CruiseElroy_Rooms.gmres".
4. Provide a text file with all object parents, selected sprites, and code for collision events because for some reason Game Maker screws these three things up.
5. Send all of these files to Pyro via a Discord DM (SnoruntPyro#9758) or email (pyroguy66666[at]gmail.com).
ACESpark has made an excellent tutorial series which will help you get your feet wet if you're new to the devkit.Tutorial 1 - Getting Started & Automated Collision Detection SystemTutorial 2 - Music & Tile AnimationTutorial 3 - Populating your Stages
Design - 15. Is it well-designed and thought through, or are the obstacles seemingly randomly placed? Does the level have a proper difficulty curve?
Fun - 10. How much fun was the level to play? How much fun do you think would it be for other people? Were there elements that made/ruined the experience for you?
Creativity - 15. Does the level make good and creative setups with the premade assets, or, if it makes its own assets, did it use them well? Does the level stand out and provide something unique?
Aesthetics - 5. Does the level look fine? Is the music good?
Functionality - 5. Does the level function properly? Are there no glitches with any custom assets? Are there broken screen transitions or camera stuff?
This all is for a total of 50
points. Leaking your level to the judges will be a -5
penalty to your final score. Late submissions will have their scores capped based off how late they were. -2
for each day, so for example a submission 5 days late can only get a max of 40 points.
The deadline will be February 13th, 2017
at midnight, EST.
SUBMISSION TRACKERAvailable here.
If you have submitted your level, your name will appear on the list, as well as if your level has been inserted into the main .gm81.