Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 
Author Message
 [us]
 Post subject: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
So, I was inspired by music competition #2 of this year, where the theme was composing music for a theme from a game where that theme doesn't exist, like in Mario Maker. Well, you know those nifty little remixes that play while you're making a level in Mario Maker? That's the theme. You can also include the melody that plays when blocks are being placed, if you'd like. The only rules here are that the music has to be from a main-series Mario platformer (options listed below) and it has to be music that's actually from that game. That's plenty of games, so you should have no problem finding a piece.
Deadline is Friday, December 2nd, so that should also be plenty of time. Let's get making! :thumbsup:


Last edited by Yoshi the Great on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:45 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well... I'll be honest. I'm rather disappointed. I never thought the 2nd music comp of this year was a good idea, actually. Picking themes that force you to make something in specific styles greatly limits the freedom because you have to stick to extra rules. I rather recommend picking themes that allow you to try your own style on things. For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me. So... I don't know if I'll be able to make something for this. I really wanna enter as many music comps as possible but this just sounds too off for me. I don't even play much games so I feel lost, like... I don't know if my entry would qualify because I don't even understand how this works. Also, you forgot to add a deadline ^^

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 pm 
User avatar
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

but thats not what the competition is about, the editor music from mario maker doesn't use a retro soundfont.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:01 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
mysteriousclown wrote:
For example, I would rather make something that doesn't sound like retro video games. I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

but thats not what the competition is about, the editor music from mario maker doesn't use a retro soundfont.

I would never know that because I don't even play games much... Not sure if you get my point but that's ok

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [zz]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:28 pm 
User avatar
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
was your point not that you don't want to enter this competition because you don't understand it? i was trying to help you understand but it doesn't really sound like you want to.

besides i don't see what your issue is with restrictions or challenges like this, sometimes doing things you don't want to do is necessary for artistic growth.

 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:35 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
mysteriousclown wrote:
was your point not that you don't want to enter this competition because you don't understand it? i was trying to help you understand but it doesn't really sound like you want to.

besides i don't see what your issue is with restrictions or challenges like this, sometimes doing things you don't want to do is necessary for artistic growth.

Hey, sorry, I didn't mean that. I appreciate that you're trying to help me. I will probably enter if someone helps me come up with something, someone that knows all those games mentioned... You know, because I'm so clueless about video games... Anyway, I just wanted to say my opinion on limited competitions, and hope people can respect it.

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:45 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
So, then, should I change the rules a bit? You can tell me what you think it should be. Also, just to be a bit more clear, since you said you don't understand:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfDD3v1atgc

I meant those remixes played in SMM. The goal is to compose a theme like that of your own, for music from SMB3, SMW, or NSMBU.

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 am 
User avatar
kirby's adventure made this avatar yo
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Hexyuu Yandere wrote:
I don't like video game soundfonts because they sound rather cheap to me.

mysteriousclown already clarified but I just want to say that the Mario Maker editor remixes are the furthest thing from a cheap retro game soundfont. They're actually performed on vintage synths (or rather, emulations of vintage synths I'd wager). It's more telling in some songs over others, like the SMB3 Airship remix.

Anyways, this is a cool theme! Might enter it if I get the time

_________________
scaled image
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:10 am 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
Also, the deadline is Friday, December 2nd. That means a little over three weeks to compose something.

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
I'm sorry for overreacting. It's just that... I had the feeling that I wouldn't stand a chance at this competition... Now I read all messages again and, I assume I have to make a remix of an existing song in older games? Not sure if I understand... but if I do, I probably know what to do this time. Please correct me.

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:41 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
Your goal is to make one of those remixes that are in SMM, such as the one that I linked to above (which is the Super Mario Bros. overworld theme), of music from Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or New Super Mario Bros. U, other than overworld, underground, airship, castle, or ghost house. This is the clearest that I could say this, so I hope that you understand.

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
So, a remix but with many exceptions? I'm not sure if I can come up with something that is not an exception... What other options are available?

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:40 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
They're exceptions because they've already been done before in SMM itself. Maybe I should change the rules so that you can do it for any game and not just the three listed? :think:

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:45 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yoshi the Great wrote:
They're exceptions because they've already been done before in SMM itself. Maybe I should change the rules so that you can do it for any game and not just the three listed? :think:

Oh man, I would love that! I wanna make a remix of a SMRPG song.

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:22 am 
User avatar
It's time to d-d-d-duel!
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Yoshi the Great wrote:
They're exceptions because they've already been done before in SMM itself. Maybe I should change the rules so that you can do it for any game and not just the three listed? :think:

That kinda loses all the integrity in the theme. You may as well remove the comp theme entirely.

_________________
Forum Games stink!
By Kirby's Adventure:
Spoiler:
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:47 am 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
Not really. The theme is still to make a remix that sounds like the remixes used in Mario Maker, and just not any generic remix. I'll wait for more responses, and then change the rules to whatever the people want.

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:48 pm 
User avatar
kirby's adventure made this avatar yo
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
Gonna have to agree with Willsaber here. There are plenty of other musical themes in the games SMM uses that aren't remixed for the editor, it's not like there's a limited selection to choose from. If you want, you could throw in the other 2D Mario games, like the Mario Lands or SMB2 as options to give people a wider selection choice. That's where I'd draw the line, though.

_________________
scaled image
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
Alright. The theme is to make a remix like the ones in Mario Maker, of music from any main-series Mario platformer game. This includes the original four, SM64, the NSMB series, 3D World, and 3D Land. (Oh, and the SML games too) That should be enough games.


Last edited by Yoshi the Great on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
 [cl]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:12 pm 
User avatar
I'm 18 and I have 2 daughters~
Member
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

[*]
Well I don't really know much about SMM at all so I can't tell which remixes haven't been already made... Also, will you allow SM64?

_________________
Spoiler:

Image
When you walk away, I count the steps that you take~
 
Top
Offline 
 User page at mfgg.net
 
 [us]
 Post subject: Re: Music Comp #5-2016
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 pm 
User avatar
Why is there a max limit of 38 charact
Member
[*]
[*]
The only remixes that have already been made are the SMB, SMB3, SMW, and NSMBU overworld, underground, airship, ghost house, and castle themes. (If you don't know already, SMM composed new ghost house and airship themes for the games that didn't already have them) Anyway, I don't personally consider SM64 to be a "platformer", but why not? :thumbsup:

_________________
<span style="color:#1FB425;">It takes minds to make millions. It takes Trump to make billions.</span>

I wanted that to be my title but the code is too many characters. Oh, and I just realized that it doesn't even work anyway either. What sort of witchcraft does this site use, using [color=___] instead of <span style="color:___;">???
 
Top
Offline 
 
 
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.Forum locked 


Who is online

Users browsing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group