MFGG Forums
A video sharing site for MFGG. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: A video sharing site for MFGG. (/showthread.php?tid=1012)

A video sharing site for MFGG. - OssieTheOstrich - 06-07-2018

Why not MFGG have a video sharing site, where you could post showcase of your fan-games, video reviews, streams, and more.
It's like YouTube, but you upload stuff about Fan-games.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - Yoshin - 06-07-2018

I think the short of it is, Youtube and Twitch exist and they do a damned good job of what they do
The work needed to make such a site is pointless when we have the sites stated above.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - Pedigree - 06-07-2018

This is a firm no.

The technical and financial investment required to host a video sharing community is not something we can do.

Especially not when there's existing video sharing options already available.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - VinnyVideo - 06-07-2018

We already have one. It's called YouTube. (And Twitch. And Vimeo, if you're into that.)

In all seriousness, hosting videos (and ensuring they load quickly for everyone) is a complex undertaking. MFGG has very little to gain from hosting our own videos. We're better off using our limited server space, bandwidth, and staff resources to work on other things and let YouTube handle all the grunt work of hosting massive video files.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - Mario - 06-07-2018

Why are we talking about hosting videos? The suggestion is a video sharing site. Hosting is a minor detail at best, pretty much all the major video sites allow embedding videos so it wouldn't be a problem at all for the hosting to be elsewhere and the real meat-and-bones of the site being the sharing. YouTube and Twitch aren't really the best at that part, and even if they were, there's surely some innovation to be had in that field.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a site for people to share videos about fangames with each other. I don't think it's too outside the scope of MFGG either; however, moderating videos is a real pain and I doubt anyone on the current staff really wants to do that. If you really believe in your idea though, maybe you can build it yourself or find someone else to help you out with it.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - VinnyVideo - 06-07-2018

@Mario Actually hosting the videos isn't feasible, of course, but it would be interesting to allow users to help maintain a list of LPs and streams of fangames. For example, if you clicked on the Psycho Waluigi page, you'd see a list of people who have uploaded video footage on YouTube or other video-hosting sites. This could be a fun feature, but the current mainsite software obviously doesn't support it, and it would take some work to moderate.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - HylianDev - 06-07-2018

Submitting let's plays to game pages is actually kind of a neat idea. I'm with it!

Having it show let's plays might be cool as long as inappropriate content on said videos can be reported and removed as needed.

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - Syaxamaphone - 06-07-2018

What if you could submit a youtube link of a game's trailer for a game page?

I like that idea too

RE: A video sharing site for MFGG. - Syaxamaphone - 06-08-2018

Maybe not just trailer but even something like a gameplay demo.

I think as long as it has gameplay it should be fine.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.