MFGG Forums
Programming Help Thread - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Programming Help Thread (/showthread.php?tid=106)

Programming Help Thread - smbmaster99 - 11-28-2017

Figured we could use a programming help thread like the old forums had :p Post questions/ask for help regarding programming here! Try to keep us up-to-date whether any help or recommendations resulted in success, that way we will know and possibly be able to help people who run into similar problems Smile

RE: Programming Help Thread - Pedigree - 11-28-2017

I personally don't like megathreads for help questions, I think people should just make their owns threads and go in depth on their questions. If there are frequently asked questions, we can make a FAQ thread imo.

But perhaps this is fine for quick and short answers.

RE: Programming Help Thread - VinnyVideo - 11-28-2017

I'm not a fan of megathreads either. I'd rather people make dedicated topics for this, unless people are super-shy about actually creating topics for some reason.

RE: Programming Help Thread - Willsaber - 11-28-2017

I like megahelp threads, because normally a single coding issue only takes up two-five posts, so it's most efficient to put it all in a single place.

RE: Programming Help Thread - Zero Kirby - 11-28-2017

I'm actually okay with the megathread, though if we get dedicated threads to complex issues, maybe linking to them in the megathread's first post would be pretty good. With a detailed description, of course.

Though personally, I want to see more detailed tutorials showing up before people need the help, so that they're here when they do. Megathread could be good for those as long as it has a Table of Contents that's well-maintained.

RE: Programming Help Thread - VinnyVideo - 11-29-2017

Single threads are a lot more convenient for people finding this through Web searches.

RE: Programming Help Thread - Xander - 11-29-2017

I think Megathreads are antithetical to forums. They can be useful where the topic is always the exact same, like a Welcome thread. But for random programming problems, they'd be a really bad choice.

Searchability for solutions to programming problems is very important. With individual threads, you also know whether someone's question has been answered, less so when 3 people post their problem in a megathread. To me, the whole point of this place is to be able to share and collaborate, which I believe is much better served with individual threads.

Unless threads are falling off the first page in the same day, you probably don't need to make a section more efficient. Although, that usually just means you need an additional section to handle the flow (not a megathread). But in general, I'm a fan of as few sections as are needed, but no fewer.

Plus, but having searchable threads, you are less likely to get repeated threads asking the same questions, since a search might have already resolved their problem.

RE: Programming Help Thread - Mandew - 11-29-2017

It's really not efficient if you have to sift through pages and pages of miscellenous content to find a question and answer again. It also heightens the uncertainty around a question being ignored.

That being said, I understand how this thread has come to exist. It's a very natural idea P:

RE: Programming Help Thread - smbmaster99 - 11-29-2017

I just made this thread cuz the old forums had one xP I can see both sides of the coin here though so if y'all would rather close this thread that's cool :p

RE: Programming Help Thread - Willsaber - 11-29-2017

Does this discussion count as de-railing a thread?  Laughing

RE: Programming Help Thread - Merit Celaire - 11-29-2017

Does this also include quick questions for help on Clickteam products still? Since I'm still using TGF for my existing stuff still under construction fangame project wise.

RE: Programming Help Thread - Pedigree - 11-29-2017

(11-29-2017, 04:39 PM)Merit Celaire Wrote: Does this also include quick questions for help on Clickteam products still? Since I'm still using TGF for my existing stuff still under construction fangame project wise.

Yes, some people still use Clickteam products around here. They're greatly outnumbered by GM users but they exist!

RE: Programming Help Thread - littlelum - 01-05-2018

Time to use this for what this is meant for:

I had a game for Gamemaker 8.1, but when I converted it to 8.0, in 8.0 it said
"an unexpected error had occurred while the game was running"

RE: Programming Help Thread - Saltman - 01-06-2018

I'm currently using Construct Classic because people said it was good for beginners. I don't really know if any member around here has ever used it, though?

RE: Programming Help Thread - smbmaster99 - 01-12-2018

(01-05-2018, 10:27 PM)littlelum Wrote: Time to use this for what this is meant for:

I had a game for Gamemaker 8.1, but when I converted it to 8.0, in 8.0 it said
"an unexpected error had occurred while the game was running"

did it occur the instant the game loaded and started playing, or at some other point as it was running? you could try converting again to see if the problem persists, and if it does, there's probably some sort of underlying issue that takes place during conversion

RE: Programming Help Thread - littlelum - 01-15-2018

@smbmaster99 It happened the instant it started playing, and I tried multiple times

RE: Programming Help Thread - littlelum - 04-14-2018

When testing my game in Gamemaker 8.1, I got an error stating it couldn't find valid runner data

RE: Programming Help Thread - Waluigi998 - 04-25-2018

Smbmaster u promiese us u will make smbo chapter 2 butt u never did!

and alos smbmaster99 make a game will u play as wario and waluigi
wario: fire flower (dragon hat) ice flower (blue dragon hat) hammer suit (hammer suit)
Waluigi fire flower (green waluigi) ice flower (pink waluigi) hammer suit (chargin chuck suit)
and make this game like ur last game super mario bros. oddesey

RE: Programming Help Thread - VinnyVideo - 04-25-2018

@Waluigi998 Welcome to MFGG! This isn't a topic for making requests for other people's games. Instead, this topic is for asking quick programming questions when you don't want to make a separate topic for them.

(Also, I'd suggest spell-checking your posts before you hit submit - this'll make it easier for us to understand you.)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.