MFGG Forums
Age Rating on Fangames - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Age Rating on Fangames (/showthread.php?tid=1091)

Age Rating on Fangames - Gate - 06-20-2018

So I thought fangames on MFGG could have some sort of Age-Rating system.

Then I came up with these:
[Image: qE5JK0V.png]

[Image: amQX2cY.png]

[Image: hCFoRoE.png]

For example, The Shroom Project by Hello would receive a M rating due it includes blood, gore and disturbing imagery.

Discuss if you want this to happen Wink

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - mrpin355 - 06-20-2018

Yes, kids nowadays join MFGG, so for their safety, we can add ratings!

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Gate - 06-20-2018

Added a poll and a PEGI based rating image set

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Syaxamaphone - 06-20-2018

imo you shouldn't use either of these systems as they COULD potentially be mistaken for actual ratings from their respective boards.

Definitely not a bad idea to introduce content ratings to games but I think we should use our own system and icons that can't so easily be confused with the real thing.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Honey Saucer Gengar - 06-20-2018

(06-20-2018, 02:35 PM)Gatete Wrote: So I thought fangames on MFGG could have some sort of Age-Rating system.

Then I came up with these:
[Image: qE5JK0V.png]

[Image: amQX2cY.png]

[Image: hCFoRoE.png]

For example, The Shroom Project by Hello would receive a M rating due it includes blood, gore and disturbing imagery.

Discuss if you want this to happen Wink

Can you alter M and AO to avoid copyright infringement? 
Make M 16+ and AO 18+

I can take Blood and gore

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-20-2018

I wouldn't mind seeing them altered to be a bit more "Mario" styled. So like, if it's for younger audiences then it's Bowser Jr, if it's for everyone it's Mario, teen could be Luigi, Mature would be Rosalina or something and Bowser is Adults Only. Obviously this is something that people would choose themselves when submitting a game, like a dialogue box that says "what audience is your game for?" or something.

With the next iteration of MFGG, some or most of this could be done with tags, like a tag for "mature", or more specific tags like "blood" which would probably suit the website better than a ratings system.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - VinnyVideo - 06-20-2018

I agree with @Kritter that if we added such a system, it should look more Mario-ish. I don't see any need to include a rating comparable to EC or AO - MFGG has very few games that would get an EC rating, while AO games wouldn't be accepted at all. Having something similar to an Everyone-Teen-Mature scale could be useful, but I'd rather have a tag system that simply explains what's in the game - for example, some of the Charisma games might have a "Brief Strong Language" tag, or The Shroom Project might have tags for "Blood" and "Drug References". This way, if someone didn't want to see any games containing swearing or blood, they could set a filter to hide games with content they're not comfortable with.

I should also note that such a system can't happen until lumaSMS is finished - splicing new features onto the existing system, even high-priority ones like adding a Hacks section - is a nightmarish task.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Mario - 06-20-2018

I agree more content specific ratings would be ideal; I think a good balance is broad content categories with easy to read ratings images and then content tags for getting more specific. My proposal on the Discord was:

- Baby Mario - Games with pretty much no objectionable content
- Mario - Games with just about what you'd expect in a modern cartoon for kids, nothing too much more than that.
- Gun Mario - Games a bit too high on the violence scale
- Sexy Mario - Games a bit too high on the horny scale (that yoshi girl vore game is a good example here LOL)
- Waluigi - delete this

Tweak as needed of course, but that's the idea. I think MFGG should try and be 'all ages' as best it can, so age-specific ratings are probably not ideal.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Yrr - 06-21-2018

we should just rate games by whether or not theyre good

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-21-2018

That's what reviews are for.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Pedigree - 06-21-2018

I'd prefer specific tags that state what's in the game like "Blood/Gore", "Drug References" etc.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Yoshin - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 02:56 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I'd prefer specific tags that state what's in the game like "Blood/Gore", "Drug References" etc.

PEGI has you covered!
https://pegi.info/page/what-do-labels-mean

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Mario - 06-21-2018

(06-21-2018, 03:09 PM)Yoshin Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 02:56 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I'd prefer specific tags that state what's in the game like "Blood/Gore", "Drug References" etc.

PEGI has you covered!
https://pegi.info/page/what-do-labels-mean

I wasn't aware of the PEGI content descriptors, pretty interesting. ESRB has content descriptors as well described here. Regardless of what we decide to have I think content descriptors are a must

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-21-2018

I think it's confirmed that the new system will likely have a tagging system which would cover all the bases as far as I'm concerned. I'm planning on working on a mockup to pass by HylianDev that'll show how I imagine it could look.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Honey Saucer Gengar - 06-24-2018

ESRB should be the age rating system 
Early childhood should be Bowser JR 
Everyone should be Yoshi 
E10+ should be Mario
Teen should be Rosalina 
Mature should be a Boo 
Adults only should be Bowser

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-24-2018

ESRB isn't universal though, Australia has its own classifications for games, as do other countries such as the PEGI ratings system. I'd rather see an original system using some of the more Mario-based ideas above.

Anyway, it's already been stated that it's too difficult to add to the current website and the new website (whenever that happens) will have tags which are much more focused and specific.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-24-2018

Here's a quick mockup of how tags and indeed a page on MFGG with LumaSMS might work. I referenced a few websites such as NexusMods and OcRemix in its design, both of which are quite a lot more modern and mobile friendly than our good old MFGG website.

Also tagging @HylianDev and @VinnyVideo I suppose

I imagine tags can be submitted in colour-coded categories when you upload a game. So perhaps category sections would be:

- Game descriptor tags such as age rating, translation, tags such as "large filesize" etc. I suppose this is where you'd also mention things like "Blood", "Adult Language" etc
- Gameplay info tags such as the genre of the game, whether it's single or multiplayer, gameplay features etc
- Functionality tags such as whether it uses online in any way, joystick or mouse or keyboard etc

Regarding tags, it'd be better if tags could be user submitted as well, or at least users could submit a tag from a chosen set, hence the "+Submit a tag" button.

This is severely just a WIP mockup so keep that in mind. I'm happy to refine the idea further.

Full screen view here

[Image: uCW1MB8.png]

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Pedigree - 06-25-2018

I'm really liking that and hope we end up going with such a system. Nice work, Kritter!

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Kritter - 06-25-2018

There's lots I can do with it, but the basic idea is there. I might start a topic for general MFGG LumaSMS discussion soon for this kind of thing because I don't want to hijack topics.

RE: Age Rating on Fangames - Q-Nova - 06-25-2018

I also feel like a tagging system would work better for describing the game's content than a rating system would, as it, like Kritter said, is more focused and specific. I think what Kritter has shown in his mockup looks great and should be the definitive direction.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.