MFGG Forums
Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! (/showthread.php?tid=1108)

Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Almanich - 06-25-2018

Well, as the title indicates, this is a sprite sheet based off of Lou Albano's portrayal of Mario in the live action segments of the Super Mario Bros Super Show! I tried to keep somewhat realistic proportions, albeit still within a semi-cartoonish aesthetic.  

[Image: sheet.png]

And, here are some scaled up animated sprites, just to get a better idea of what they look like in actual motion.
[Image: image.png][Image: oie_animation.gif][Image: WalkGif.gif][Image: oie_animation.gif]

Of course, I'm not done yet with this sheet, as I plan to create at least jumping and falling animations, and, ideally, to recreate Mario's moveset from Super Mario Bros.
I'm also looking for critiques, hint or tips as to how I could make these sprites better, so don't hesitate to fire away if you have anything to say!

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Mario - 06-25-2018

Thanks, I love it.

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-25-2018

That's amazing

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Mariotroid - 06-26-2018

Yeah that's pretty beautiful. Well done.

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Syaxamaphone - 06-26-2018

Finally some proper marios that actually look like mario! It's been too long!

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Almanich - 06-26-2018

[Image: 6xKrWRM.png]
I'm conflicted regarding the eyes of the large head sprite. Which one do you guys think looks better?

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-26-2018

I'd say the first, though I like them both. Since the mustache covers the mouth I think the eyes should be more prominent like in the first one to show his expression more clearly.

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - VinnyVideo - 06-26-2018

These are awesome. I'd love to see a fangame that takes some inspiration from the Super Show.

Also, I prefer the first one.

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Mario - 06-26-2018

One thing that could be improved on but I'm not quite sure how to fix is the hands look kinda strange in them. The running is the most obvious where you can barely tell they're hands and kinda look like his hands have been chopped off.

(06-26-2018, 10:16 AM)Almanich Wrote: [Image: 6xKrWRM.png]
I'm conflicted regarding the eyes of the large head sprite. Which one do you guys think looks better?

I definitely like the first one more, but the second one gives off an old scooby doo cartoon kinda feel if you wanna aim for that.

Here's a first draft for a Danny Wells style Luigi mugshot. I'm not quite happy with it yet but I'm not sure on how to improve it, any tips?
[Image: 22VJmfF.png]

(06-26-2018, 04:48 PM)Mario Wrote: One thing that could be improved on but I'm not quite sure how to fix is the hands look kinda strange in them. The running is the most obvious where you can barely tell they're hands and kinda look like his hands have been chopped off.
Oh, yeah, I can definintely see it now. The hands look like nubs in the running animation, I'll try to fix that up.

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-26-2018

I think you should add a just a little bit of lighter value on the necks of both Mario and Luigi to show that tendon that protrudes when the head is turned. That could also help attach the head to the neck more.

[Image: RnPuBc2.png][Image: on9FLPg.png]

Something sort of like this?

[Image: cLLmwjP.png]
Started spriting Luigi! What do you guys think?

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - Beatrice - 07-07-2018

These look really cool so far!

RE: Hey, paisanos! It's some Lou Albano Mario sprites! - PixelatedIvan - 07-07-2018

Reminds me of this one Flash game I played around 7 years ago, I think it was an original Mario Bros. arcade remake that allows the option to play as a Lou Albano styled Mario. Great job on the sprites

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.