MFGG Forums
Status of Game of the Month awards - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Status of Game of the Month awards (/showthread.php?tid=1110)

Pages: 1 2

Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 06-25-2018

MFGG used to do Game of the Month awards, where the staff give attention to a game in each month (although there's been some exceptions) with a description, screenshot, and a cool banner. However though, the latest Game of the Month award was for July 2016, and it seems nothing has been said about it lately. So, I've been wondering how has it been going with Game of the Month stuff. If Game of the Month awards ever get resumed, will August 2016, all the way to May 2018, have their games chosen and given attention, or will all of that be skipped and we'll do either this month or even the previous one (since the gap is quite large, it could take a long time to catch up, and I'm not sure if it's worth bringing attention to games that are out for quite a lot of time at this point)?

If Game of the Month awards are gonna be brought back to life, one suggestion I have is to update the banner design to use the current design MFGG is using rather than the design from the previous MFGG main site skin. Maybe the banner design can use some inspiration from the level panels in SMB3.

What do you guys think on how Game of the Month awards should be handled right now?

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Pedigree - 06-25-2018

The issue with Game of the Month is that there isn't enough new stuff coming out game wise so you'd have to recycle older games.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Kritter - 06-26-2018

Maybe we should change Game of the Month to some kind of "Community Spotlight" where we look back through the archives and put the spotlight on a game (or you could do multiple, such as spotlighting a particularly good sprite), whether it's a month, or a year or more old. I'm sure there's plenty of hidden gems out there. Failing that, we could always do "Game of the Year" once a year.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Snessy the duck - 06-26-2018

(06-26-2018, 01:08 AM)Kritter Wrote: Maybe we should change Game of the Month to some kind of "Community Spotlight" where we look back through the archives and put the spotlight on a game (or you could do multiple, such as spotlighting a particularly good sprite), whether it's a month, or a year or more old. I'm sure there's plenty of hidden gems out there. Failing that, we could always do "Game of the Year" once a year.

I actually suggested something similar to this a while back

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 06-26-2018

If someone wants to revive the GOTM awards, that would be cool! I wrote most of the GOTM topics from 2010 to 2016, but when I started grad school, I no longer had the time to stay on top of them.

@Kritter Usually GOTM awards go to a game released that month, but in the past we occasionally had GOTM awards for games that had been released months or years earlier. So it could be a good way to highlight a fun overlooked game.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Cruise Elroy - 06-28-2018

...actually, we could probably modify it a bit and use it as a way to look back on some of those games that never got their hands on an award in the first place. I wouldn't mind being able to find out about an older but still good game every month or so.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Kritter - 06-28-2018

That's basically what I (and Snessy) suggested I think. We're certainly not getting enough completed games per month, so might as well shine some light on those that may have been overlooked.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 06-28-2018

I think what Kritter, Snessy the duck, and Cruise Elroy suggested sounds good to me; I'm sure there's quite a lot of good games out there that have been out for quite a long time, but didn't get the attention they deserved. I hope this is what the staff will decide to do for Game of the Month awards.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 08-27-2018

So, are we going to do anything about this? In the topic Snessy the duck linked to, there is a post by Pedigree that states how thinks this kind of thing should be handled:

(03-01-2018, 05:04 PM)Pedigree Wrote: I think the best thing to do is have members submit nominations for the featured games of the month and the staff will deliberate and pick 3 to feature from the nominations. Ideally a game that was already featured doesn't get featured twice, etc.

Yay/nay?

I think this sounds like a good way to do Game of the Month awards. It seems that this was even attempted back in late 2017, but it seems to have never went beyond the nomination phase. I think it'd great if we start doing this kind of thing in September and continue from there (I don't think there's much time to do it this in this month).

So, what do you guys think?

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 08-27-2018

@Q-Nova If somebody's up for writing GOTM topics, go for it!

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 08-28-2018

@VinnyVideo Uh, excuse me, but did you understand what I was saying in my last post? I'd love to see Game of the Month get revived in some form, as it's a good way to give members (especially newcomers) recommendations for good games that have appeared on MFGG, but a few here were thinking that perhaps it could be modified to put the spotlight on games that have been around for a long time but still hold up rather well to this day instead of only games that were released last month (kind of like what Snessy the duck had suggested some time ago and the Replay of the Month thing that was attempted back at late 2017), especially since there isn't as much new stuff coming out each month compared to long ago. I think it would even help us discover old gems that have been overlooked.

On the other hand, though, I do kinda like seeing new fangames get extra attention. I suppose doing games from the previous month might even motivate people a bit more as well, although I think MFGG Awards already does that. If there's quite a debate on how Game of the Month should be handled right now, then maybe we could set up a poll to see what does everybody think.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 08-29-2018

@Q-Nova Oh, I see! What if we did GOTM topics that rotated between the standard "choose a cool new game" format and the "nominate an overlooked older game" format?

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 08-29-2018

@VinnyVideo Hm, that sounds rather interesting. Would it be in a pattern or whatever we feel like? Maybe we can normally choose a cool new game, but if there's not much in the last month, we can instead nominate an older game that's been overlooked.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 08-30-2018

I was thinking something along the lines of this:

January: New game
February: Classic game
March: New game
April: Classic game

And so forth. We wouldn't have to follow this pattern rigidly, though.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 08-30-2018

@VinnyVideo I think that would work rather well. Since it's not too much longer until September, we could pick a new game for August 2018 Game of the Month in the beginning of next month. At some point during that month, we could open nominations for a classic game, and at the beginning of October, a topic for September 2018 Game of the Month can be created with the winner selected.This would then repeat for later months.

Anyway, though, I'd like to mention that it'd be nice if the GOTM banner design was updated someday to match the current MFGG design, as I stated in the original post.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 09-01-2018

Yeah, updating the GOTM banner design might be a good idea. I don't have the source code for the banner generator, though I could see if @DJ Coco still has it.

Alternatively, we could make a new generator.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Q-Nova - 09-05-2018

Here's what I think a new GOTM banner could look like:

[Image: mfgg_gotm_new.PNG]

What do you think about it?

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - Vitiman - 09-05-2018

Looking great! Mario Sunshine is definitely my favourite MFGG fangame.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - DustinVG - 09-05-2018

(09-01-2018, 02:07 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Yeah, updating the GOTM banner design might be a good idea. I don't have the source code for the banner generator, though I could see if @DJ Coco still has it.

Alternatively, we could make a new generator.

Well, if we use Q-Nova's and he gives us the source files, it should be a non-issue.

RE: Status of Game of the Month awards - VinnyVideo - 09-05-2018

@Q-Nova I'm digging that new banner.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.