MFGG Forums
Super Mario Battle - Developers and Spriters wanted! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Super Mario Battle - Developers and Spriters wanted! (/showthread.php?tid=1182)

Pages: 1 2

Super Mario Battle - Developers and Spriters wanted! - Heapons - 07-17-2018

[Image: 0.png]

Hello everyone! I'm proud to announce the fan-game I'm currently working on: Super Mario Battle!

This is a game based on SMB1/SMM2's physics where you'll have to fight against your opponents in various ways: stomp, grab, ground pound, shoot, kick, ...!
You'll be able to play as: Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, Toad, Goomba, and Bowser. Each with their own unique abilities!

I haven't got pretty much to say for now, but here are the planned features*:
- Level Editor
- Hats
- Local Multiplayer (obviously)
- Use-able/Ride-able Map Elements (Clown Cars, Kuribo Shoes, ...)
- Destructible Terrain
- Stuff from various Mario games (notably Super Mario Maker 2, SMB1/2/3, and SMW)

*Not all of them are guaranteed to make it in the final game. This is likely going to change with the time!

Note: Despite how similar it may be to Super Mario War, I do not intend to rip any game off. I'll make sure that my fan-game will be unique in its own way.
Note²: This is a non-profit project.

Want to join our development team? You can apply here!

Our Discord server:
https://discord.gg/cY8F4cb

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - strabiri - 07-17-2018

cool idea it sounds fun to play

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 02:10 PM)ItzTeal Wrote: cool idea it sounds fun to play
You won't regret it, believe me Wink

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Syaxamaphone - 07-17-2018

Do you have any designs or plans besides character lists? I think you'll have more luck getting programming help if you flesh out your idea more.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 02:12 PM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: Do you have any designs or plans besides character lists? I think you'll have more luck getting programming help if you flesh out your idea more.

Well... just imagine that you're playing Battle Mode from SMB3 but there's more maps and you can use power-ups.
If this is still unclear for you, just take a look at Super Mario Bros X (another fangame)'s battle mode.

Wait, i'm going to update the thread...

Updated the thread! Tell me if you need of additional informations.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Syaxamaphone - 07-17-2018

Ideally I shouldn't have to imagine it. You should be able to tell us exactly how it will work.

I'll update the thread as long there's people confused about how the game will look like (or when i have any news about the game).
Speaking of... i updated it (again).

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-18-2018

Added a link to my discord server for this fangame:
https://discord.gg/9epNSv5

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - PixelatedIvan - 07-18-2018

(07-17-2018, 12:11 PM)Heapons Wrote: - Online Mode
- Local Multiplayer
- Plugins, Custom Characters and Custom Maps
Especially by the fact that it does not seem like you made any games prior, you are making this too ambitious, since barely any Mario fangames have these, and the ones that do are created by people with at least 2 years of game development experience.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-18-2018

(07-18-2018, 01:17 PM)PixelatedIvan Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 12:11 PM)Heapons Wrote: - Online Mode
- Local Multiplayer
- Plugins, Custom Characters and Custom Maps
Especially by the fact that it does not seem like you made any games prior, you are making this too ambitious, since barely any Mario fangames have these, and the ones that do are created by people with at least 2 years of game development experience.

Maybe i could put these ideas aside? Also, i was thinking about coding it in Game Maker 8 for Plugins and some other features?

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - VinnyVideo - 07-18-2018

GM 8 can do most things that newer versions of GM can do, but I would recommend against using it for online multiplayer.

Online multiplayer is notoriously difficult to do well - in fact, even AAA games have a hard time making good online multiplayer. I'd recommend sticking with local multiplayer for now, unless you really know what you're doing.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - GamerInGeorgia - 07-18-2018

I would take Vinny's advice. The latest community project died because it was too ambitious and planned to have online multiplayer.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-19-2018

(07-18-2018, 07:46 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: GM 8 can do most things that newer versions of GM can do, but I would recommend against using it for online multiplayer.

Online multiplayer is notoriously difficult to do well - in fact, even AAA games have a hard time making good online multiplayer. I'd recommend sticking with local multiplayer for now, unless you really know what you're doing.

Yeah, you right i guess.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - bigpotato - 07-19-2018

I'd say build your core features first, then progressively add the more complicated bits as you go. That way, if something proves too difficult to make (or you just get bored of the project) you've still got a presentable game at the end.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 07-30-2018

I decided to make the game in GameMaker 8 instead of GameMaker: Studio 1.4

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 10-06-2018

Do you think that i should cancel this project or...?

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - lean - 10-09-2018

why do you want to cancel this project? looks promising enough, and liked bigpotato's suggestion since it works.. 
and i always worked like this. base first, additions later.

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 10-21-2018

(10-09-2018, 07:49 AM)lean Wrote: why do you want to cancel this project? looks promising enough, and liked bigpotato's suggestion since it works.. 
and i always worked like this. base first, additions later.

I'm gonna be honest, i made like a lot of sprites but i can barely code and that's why i made a thread here... because i'm looking for programmers. I'm litteraly a noob at coding (from scratch of course, i can edit existing pieces of code).

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Heapons - 10-28-2018

Alright, I won't cancel this project if you like it guys...

RE: Super Mario Battle - Need of developers and spriters! - Clobbah - 10-29-2018

(10-28-2018, 05:56 AM)Heapons Wrote: Alright, I won't cancel this project if you like it guys...

I'd suggest changing engines. Try Godot and probably try learning GDScript.