MFGG Forums
How often do you turn off your computer? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: How often do you turn off your computer? (/showthread.php?tid=1199)

Pages: 1 2

How often do you turn off your computer? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-25-2018

I only reset it when it starts to slow down. I’m not sure if that is what I am supposed to do or if I should turn it off more often, but that’s usually the only time I remember to do so since it affects my usage.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - VinnyVideo - 07-25-2018

My laptop goes into hibernate/sleep mode if I won't be using it for a while. I usually shut it down before I go to bed. However, Windows 10's "shut down" option doesn't really restart the computer's kernel, so if you're running Windows, it's important to restart your computer every week or so. Windows isn't always good about handling memory, and your computer's performance won't be as good if you go too long without restarting.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Q-Nova - 07-25-2018

Before I go to bed, I make sure that I shut down my computer first (there a few times where I forgot to do it or didn't have time to do it, though).

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Mariotroid - 07-26-2018

I'm hardly ever on my computer

#cellphonelife

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Mario - 07-26-2018

I'm on a laptop so whenever I'm not going to be using it for longer than a half hour or so I guess. When it comes to desktops I shut them off when I'm not using them too though.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Amine Retro - 07-26-2018

I put it to sleep mode when i do short errands and come back to it when i finish, but i rarely ever leave it on. At night it sometimes boots itself and it scares me so i shut it's power off

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Cruise Elroy - 07-26-2018

Recently I've only ever turned it off if I run into one of two problems: either my computer will miraculously not connect to the WiFi anymore, or if something else on it breaks, such as me not being able to save files with Paint anymore. It's been cooperating a lot more on average now, though, so I hardly ever shut it off anymore.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Retriever II - 07-30-2018

(07-25-2018, 07:27 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: My laptop goes into hibernate/sleep mode if I won't be using it for a while. I usually shut it down before I go to bed. However, Windows 10's "shut down" option doesn't really restart the computer's kernel, so if you're running Windows, it's important to restart your computer every week or so. Windows isn't always good about handling memory, and your computer's performance won't be as good if you go too long without restarting.

With a decent workcenter PC I've never seen this to be a problem.  My record uptime with Windows 7 was 9 months and my record uptime with Windows 10 was 11 months.  Said uptime was broken by a hardware upgrade and moving houses, respectively.  Actually the only reason 10 was able to run that long is I'm pretty sure the update service got hung otherwise it would have run forced updates long before then.

So how often do I restart my computer?  Only when Windows calls my bluff when I've been saying "I'll run the updates tomorrow" for 3 months.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - DustinVG - 07-30-2018

I tend to every night, but I sometimes leave it in sleep mode and forget.

Doesn’t seem to cause many issues if I don’t, but Legacy GM games will start to run unbearably slow for... some reason.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Yakibomb - 07-31-2018

I turn it off every night before bed.

I would like to turn it off an hour before I sleep (and on the flip, turn it on an hour after I wake up), but I know that hasn't happened. It's mentioned by someone somewhere that it's recommended for healthy productivity/energy level/sleep regulation schedules.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Beatrice - 08-12-2018

Not so much; I turn it off like...one or two times every month.

I mostly put it to sleep mode.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - HylianDev - 08-13-2018

I'm one of those people who religiously turns off / restarts my devices, including my phone, even though there's evidence to suggest it's not necessary.

(07-25-2018, 07:27 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: My laptop goes into hibernate/sleep mode if I won't be using it for a while. I usually shut it down before I go to bed. However, Windows 10's "shut down" option doesn't really restart the computer's kernel, so if you're running Windows, it's important to restart your computer every week or so. Windows isn't always good about handling memory, and your computer's performance won't be as good if you go too long without restarting.

Shut Down doesn't restart the kernel??

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - VinnyVideo - 08-13-2018

@HylianDev This is my understanding of how Windows 10's Shut Down feature works:

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - СМБХфан - 08-13-2018

Only after every update. I usually just use the sleep function.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - HylianDev - 08-14-2018

(08-13-2018, 07:57 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @HylianDev This is my understanding of how Windows 10's Shut Down feature works:

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

Fascinating. Alright

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - littlelum - 08-18-2018

I turn it off whenever I'm not going to use it for more than an hour (so pretty much every day)

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - jas - 11-20-2018

this is the hard-hitting s*** i'm looking for!

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Syaxamaphone - 11-20-2018

I restart usually once a week. If I know I won't use my PC for more than a day, I'll shut it off. Otherwise its always running.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - Thunderbro - 11-20-2018

Nowadays I rarely ever shut down my computer. I used to shut it off every night, but I now constantly keep game servers up and running on it. If things start getting slow, I'll do a reboot, but otherwise it always stays on now. My current up time is at 11 days, it usually goes a week or two between reboots.

RE: How often do you turn off your computer? - lean - 11-21-2018

i enter to pc everyday. after eating, i'm 2 hours on it and then i turn it off. at night i turn it again for 30 minutes.. :p

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.