MFGG Forums
Driving - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Driving (/showthread.php?tid=1206)

Driving - VinnyVideo - 07-29-2018

If you drive a car, do you find it to be an enjoyable experience that gives you the freedom to go where you want whenever you want? Or do you find it to be something you do because you have to, since modern cities (at least in most of the United States) tend to be very car-centric? If you're not driving, do you think you'd enjoy it?

I'm asking because I think we're in the middle of a cultural shift - a lot of younger people are less excited about driving and owning a vehicle.

I think driving can be fun in rural areas with little traffic, but driving in urban and suburban areas is pretty scary, especially if it's a place I haven't been before. Plus, owning and maintaining a car can be expensive, and car-centric urban planning might not be the best thing for society as a whole.

What do you think?

RE: Driving - Syaxamaphone - 07-29-2018

Once you get used to it, driving is p easy. Where I live its pretty much mandatory since more often than not you'll be pretty far from anything worthwhile (or even from basic services like grocery or a restaurant). Transit isn't very good and you're often waiting 15-30 minutes or even an hour before the next bus. A monthly bus pass will be about the same as insurance if your driving record is decent so you're really only paying for gas.

Being without a license is probably a lot more viable in more densely populated areas that can afford the infrastructure.

RE: Driving - Hyper - 07-29-2018

Vinny and some other MFGGers knows that I'll be posting here. Anyways, as a car enthusiasts I enjoy driving but not inside a big city since other drivers can be obnoxious. When I am stressed, I usually drive to the countryside while listening to music to ease my mind. I do have a dream owning a mid budget sports car someday. I prefer driving across the country than riding airplanes, I like having in control with my traveling plus there are some nice sceneries to catch. 

In addition, I have a passion of repairing my car.

RE: Driving - Kritter - 07-29-2018

I hate driving through busy cities but in Australia if you drive 10 minutes away from a city you're basically in the country and I love that. Had a lot of good times doing a good couple hour drive to some random country place. I used to live 2 hours away from any major city as a kid so I'm used to the long drives. Chuck some good music on, put your brain on auto-pilot and enjoy it.

RE: Driving - Retriever II - 07-30-2018

Someone totaled my car a couple weeks ago and I had to replace it.  Talk about expensive...

Where I live driving is a necessity.  I don't particularly enjoy it but whatever.  Right now I've been enjoying being able to walk to work every day so I've been less dependent on it.

RE: Driving - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-30-2018

It depends on where I am driving. I hate driving where I live because I live in a big city full of absurdly crazy and aggressive drivers. I like to drive in areas less populated or at nighttime when the traffic is not nearly as severe. Driving during rush hour where I live is very stressful because in order to get where you want to be you must be very aggressive. 

I don't think I see less people being excited about driving now than they used to be. Almost all the boys in my high school were very fond of their cars and loved to drive, but maybe that's just the culture of where I am from.

RE: Driving - Friendly Dictator - 07-30-2018

driving stresses me the hell out and i also dont want to pay for it
usually i take the bus or ride my bike

RE: Driving - Andy Journey - 07-30-2018

I never even bothered to get a license.

RE: Driving - Cruise Elroy - 07-31-2018

I've got a license and can drive down somewhere simple like the gas station, but I have yet to really go anywhere more than a mile long by myself. I also don't have my own car so I never really had an excuse to drive all that much.

RE: Driving - fireball3k - 08-02-2018

i love and hate driving at the same time. i like to cruise about in my volvo, but the problem is that i apparently drive far too slow for people. in my experience, the average driving experience for me is that i'm driving behind some decrepit old man doing 40 in a 55 while some far-more-successful-with-women-than-me chinstrap douche rides my ass because he wants to do 120 in the same zone

RE: Driving - Kritter - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 12:57 AM)fireball3k Wrote: i love and hate driving at the same time. i like to cruise about in my volvo, but the problem is that i apparently drive far too slow for people. in my experience, the average driving experience for me is that i'm driving behind some decrepit old man doing 40 in a 55 while some far-more-successful-with-women-than-me chinstrap douche rides my ass because he wants to do 120 in the same zone

This happens all the time to me.

I NEVER drive above the speed limit and it apparently annoys a lot of people. I take a lot of joy in slowing down when people tailgate me because I refuse to drive 80km in a 60km zone, or simply just sticking right on the speed limit and refusing to budge. 

Best part is when people ZOOM out from behind you and take off like a rocket, then you catch up to them at a red light up ahead a few minutes later and overtake them again.

I'm a ass, but one who obeys the law.

RE: Driving - Hyper - 08-02-2018

You're not alone. I am facing the same issues driving in the cities as well. Especially in Texas things are far worse. Out of anywhere I've been to, Texas has the rudest drivers in the world. If you are 1 mph slower than their speed (even if you were going slightly faster than the speed limit), they will tailgate you like a madman. Then they'll passes you and give you the bird. In some cases, they will pass you and then cut in front of you just to break checking against you almost to a halt. I have heard stories of driver shooting other driver on the road in Texas just because one driver is driving slower than the other driver.

Please help me!

RE: Driving - VinnyVideo - 08-02-2018

@Kritter Yep. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person on the road who's not trying to emulate Jimmie Johnson!

Also, drivers here apparently do not believe in using turn signals.

RE: Driving - fireball3k - 08-03-2018

(08-02-2018, 04:46 AM)Kritter Wrote: I NEVER drive above the speed limit and it apparently annoys a lot of people. 

it's not that i never speed, but usually i go only five miles an hour above the speed limit or so. i was told by my dad that most cops would let that slide, but idk if that's actually true or no

RE: Driving - Cruise Elroy - 08-03-2018

I do that a lot and I've never had any problems, so you should be fine

RE: Driving - Mariotroid - 08-03-2018

(07-30-2018, 05:13 PM)Andy Journey Wrote: I never even bothered to get a license.

Same here. I'd get mad road rage and kill a b****.

RE: Driving - Pea - 08-08-2018

I have a license and I even have a car, but I rarely use it. Mainly for going to the grocery store, which is not even 2 minutes away from home. No point in taking my car to the city: Traffic is impossible to get through, way too hectic to deal with.

RE: Driving - Miles - 08-09-2018

I really quite hate driving. Way too stressful, I tell you.

My reaction time and sense of distance and placement are pretty bad, and in places with high population density traffic can be downright insane. I recently had to drive in Durham, NC to take my dad to a specific hospital. Six lanes (3 per side), each one with tons of people going anywhere from 6 to 20 mph over the speed limit. Your options are to either speed with everyone and drive super aggressively if you need to be in a specific lane or potentially cause a wreck by trying to drive lawfully. There really are no other options; too many tightly spaced vehicles going fast, so you have to go with the flow. And this isn't even that bad in comparison to other places, apparently. I feel like an accident waiting to happen, especially in traffic situations like that. So yeah, driving is not for me.

Unfortunately it can't be done without because of where many important places are. Otherwise I'd opt to not renew my license without a second thought.

RE: Driving - Fun With Despair - 08-10-2018

I don't have anything against driving but it's just too expensive for me to own a car. Can't really justify spending as much as gas and insurance costs when transit is so much cheaper.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.