MFGG Forums
REJECTED Delete the Wiki - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: REJECTED Delete the Wiki (/showthread.php?tid=1212)

Delete the Wiki - Shadow Administrator Drei - 08-03-2018

Site history is pointless to archive. If there is anything to be saved like that, it is competitions, events, and staff history.

The wiki should be congruent to the purpose of Mario Fans and Games, not random user drama.

It's embarrassing.

RE: Delete the Wiki - SonicKade2048 - 08-03-2018

https://forums.mfgg.net/showthread.php?tid=369

I'm pretty sure we've already decided to not delete the wiki.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Pedigree - 08-03-2018

I vote yes on deleting the wiki because it's become too large and outdated with useless articles.

Save some of the history and news worthy fangames and retool it to be a game dev resource.

The fact that most of our traffic comes from the wiki is probably where our most dramatic members come from, given that the wiki is filled with drama.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-03-2018

The existence of the wiki doesn’t bother me a lot, but I would be totally for deleting it and starting a new one more focused on fangames and community events, like competitions. I can’t take the current wiki seriously because it’s full of drama I don’t care about and it’s really ugly.

RE: Delete the Wiki - VinnyVideo - 08-03-2018

No, we're not deleting the Wiki any time soon. It's certainly not perfect, but it still serves a vital purpose. The forums attract ten times as many visitors from Google searches as the forums do, and pretty much all of them are clicking on game pages.

I'd be totally OK with trimming out overblown chronicles of little-remembered drama, though. What's the best way to do that? I'm not sure.

RE: Delete the Wiki - DustinVG - 08-03-2018

Deleting it altogether is, and will likely remain, a hard no from me, BUT there’s merit to perhaps trimming down some of the community aspects and focusing harder on games.

RE: Delete the Wiki - rollerC - 08-03-2018

I don’t see any reason not to—at the very least—archive it and carry over the good pages. Both options of reform require a mass search of the entire wiki. Starting fresh and carrying over makes more sense to me.

Archiving the current wiki and starting fresh would be best.

Trying to restructure a wiki with hundreds of pages is a tall order, especially if staff doesn't support the direction we're talking about taking it.

Just to give an idea of what is on the Wiki, I hit the Random Article button a few times.

On the third time, I got Mit's article, which is...ironic, to say the least.
6th: An article about a user, which caused me to realize that there is no difference between mainspace and userspace.
8th: Another user page.
9th: Cutman's page, which led me to find a page called The Great Mistake, where I discovered that this was being held in the Event category, and in fact, this very large category which is listed on the homepage of the wiki hosts many an article related to drama.
14th: Another userpage
17th: Another userpage
20th: Another userpage
21st: Another userpage
23rd: Another userpage

I could go on, but it's basically the same thing. I saw good and useful information there, but there were too many stubs and userpages and drama pages, and the whole Events category hosts a slew of drama pages.

(08-03-2018, 07:02 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: The existence of the wiki doesn’t bother me a lot, but I would be totally for deleting it and starting a new one more focused on fangames and community events, like competitions. I can’t take the current wiki seriously because it’s full of drama I don’t care about and it’s really ugly.

I'm sure there would be people willing to add to the wiki, but these things make people shy away from it.

I don't think it should be deleted, but it would show growth if an effort was undertaken to make a new and better Fangame Wiki. I'm sure members of the forum would be willing to help with that.

I wanted to write some game dev stuff on there, but honestly thought it would just get missed in the sea of drama and user profiles so I never did so.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Mario - 08-03-2018

Yeah honestly I think we should start over with a new wiki and learn from the lessons of the past. All of the user pages and whatnot don't really have a place and I think they kinda glorify some bad behaviors honestly. Condense the MFGG history since that's only really us stroking our own egos; stuff like competitions and events have a place, site and staff changes do too, but beyond that I'm not sure what else really belongs.

We should work out a plan for how to organize the wiki from the start. Another thing that might not really have a place is strictly fan game pages- honestly any information about a fan game should probably go on its page on the main site (which we can think about things to add to LumaSMS while we're on the subject). The wiki would probably be most useful for tutorials and guides on game making in general.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Hyper - 08-03-2018

If we need to start off a new wiki. I think it would be good idea to install a new set of rules with Wiki Sysadmins moderating edits. Member pages can exists but only limited to very basic information and a list of projects they have created. Perhaps, maybe, we can implement wiki quality control?

(08-03-2018, 10:13 PM)Hypernova Wrote: Perhaps, maybe, we can implement wiki quality control?

Maybe...just maybe....

Anyway, I also think it would be really useful to make the distinction between userspace and mainspace. Mainspace should be about fangames and fangame creation, userspace can be dedicated to wiki editors or important fangame creators. Essentially, clicking "Random Article" should not land you in a userspace. I also don't think listing permaban information on main userpage is a good idea; discussion pages would be better, and absolutely no keeping record of drama through a userpage.

While I understand Vinny is not quite open to this change, I really think it would be beneficial to MFGG in its entirety, and won't make it seem just like an aside to the mainsite.

I'd like this thread to be kept open to deliberate more about it if possible, and only moved to Resolved Suggestions when there's a clear, full-staff agreement.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Kritter - 08-03-2018

Archiving the old crap sounds like it'd work.

If you're going to make a new wiki, these things need doing:

1. Decide on the focus of the content 100%. Will it have articles, will it have fangame information, will it serve a purpose other than reading about history such as written tutorials etc
2. "Hire" people to make content, it's not going to make itself and I doubt any current staff has the time or motivation to write articles for the wiki.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Shadow Administrator Drei - 08-04-2018

Thank you Kritter-san.

RE: Delete the Wiki - rollerC - 08-05-2018

Does anyone mind if I make a mega-thread for Wiki discussion? Seeing as it will likely be pretty important in the days to come, and not every member will open a thread that reads "Delete the Wiki".

RE: Delete the Wiki - VinnyVideo - 08-05-2018

@rollerC Yeah, that would be cool. We've always had a general MFGG Wiki megathread on previous iterations of the forums, even if they haven't always been incredibly active. I'd rather have a topic start with a more neutral tone that's conducive to constructive conversation.

RE: Delete the Wiki - Shadow Administrator Drei - 08-05-2018

Please don't imply me or my thread are not welcome to opposing views. That's a very sneaky sucker punch just because your inconsistencies of handling the wiki have driven me to think it should be removed entirely.

RE: Delete the Wiki - rollerC - 08-05-2018

(08-05-2018, 03:07 PM)GothGirlGangDrei Wrote: Please don't imply me or my thread are not welcome to opposing views. That's a very sneaky sucker punch just because your inconsistencies of handling the wiki have driven me to think it should be removed entirely.
(added emphasis)

He was trying to imply that a title like “Delete the Wiki” wouldn’t be very appeasing to people who didn’t outright agree with that statement. He worded it poorly, for sure, but he wasn’t trying to jab at you.

The bolded statement was not necessary.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.