MFGG Forums
Add a badge guide - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Add a badge guide (/showthread.php?tid=1284)

Add a badge guide - Q-Nova - 09-03-2018

I remember that in the phpBB era of the MFGG forums, there is a stickied topic that explains what badges are, what kinds are there, and how they can be gotten. Seeing that there isn't a badge guide on the current era is rather weird to me. I think it would be nice if someone in the staff made a badge guide; I remember that the guide from the phpBB era had helped me out quite well and made me want to the join MFGG even more, so I think a badge guide on these forums could do the same for some people.

RE: Add a badge guide - VinnyVideo - 09-04-2018

This would be a good thing to bring back.

RE: Add a badge guide - Pedigree - 09-21-2018

I think before we did this, we will have to look at what badges we are currently using and which are just grandfathered in from events we no longer do.

We could start smaller with the competition badges and work from there for now but for things like the Super Submitter badge... I think the priority should be to get that badge working again, as it did on phpBB.

RE: Add a badge guide - VinnyVideo - 09-22-2018

@Pedigree I ran an SQL query, and only seven badges are not in use:
  • Super Tutorial Submitter: A potentially useful badge that's never been used
  • Super Sprite Submitter: We should implement this!
  • Super Game Submitter: Also potentially useful, but we'd need to figure out the criteria for giving it out
  • Super Audio Submitter: Another unused badge
  • Tusk Buck: Test badge
  • DJ Yoshiman: A special badge just for a certain admin
  • Grammar Game Winner: @Couch Tomato made an account just two days ago, so I owe him his phpBB badges!

Automating the submitter and Happy Heart badges would be good, but that requires a bit more PHP skill than I possess. There might be someone else who's able to do this, though!

RE: Add a badge guide - Vitiman - 09-22-2018

I know it's fairly low on the totem pole, but it would be nice to fix how the badges display as well. Currently, there is no spacing between badges (the images touch each other from all directions), and they align from the center instead of from left to right, which looks incorrect when you have an odd amount of badges. It would be nice to restore how they're drawn on the mini profile from the phpBB forums, since that would fix both of these fairly minor issues.

RE: Add a badge guide - Q-Nova - 09-22-2018

@Pedigree The badge guide could split into sections like the phpBB one, except that there would be a deprecated badges section in addition to the existing staff and user badge sections. It might be good to figure out which ones are unlikely to be used anytime soon, though (who knows, maybe someone wants to do another Easter egg hunt). A few badges that come to mind are the Special Competition badges and the Event Winner badge. I say that they're rather similar (badges that go to participants in a unique competition), so I think we should select one kind to use and abandon the other kind.

I do agree that it'd be nice if we can get the submitter and Happy Heart badges working like how they did back in the phpBB boards again one day.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.