MFGG Forums
The end of a cartoon era. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The end of a cartoon era. (/showthread.php?tid=1289)

Pages: 1 2

The end of a cartoon era. - Damarioman - 09-04-2018

I don't know how many of you out there watched the show Adventure Time, but I did and seeing as the series ended recently and that there wasn't a topic about it, I decided to make one.

Adventure time was a special show. A true to life one of a kind. It had a certain magic about it. It was able to weave silliness and seriousness in a profound way. I may have had a preference for the more lore-heavy episodes but I saw the value in the levity of the other episodes.

The characters of the show grew as we grew with them. There'll never be another Adventure Time I don't think.

What are your thoughts now that the show has ended?

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - rollerC - 09-04-2018

I'm sad. I don't know what else to say. I grew up with that show; it meant a lot to me.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Damarioman - 09-04-2018

Every time I watch an episode now, there will be a sort of melancholic undertone.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Mariotroid - 09-08-2018

It was a great show. I watched it with my ex girlfriend. I agree that it did manage to tackle heavy themes and had a heart. Too bad it's over.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Kirby's Adventure - 09-08-2018

I was never really fond of Adventure Time. I have some friends that are, though. They seemed to like the callbacks to previous episodes during the finale.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - rollerC - 09-09-2018

Highly recommend listening to this outside of the context of the final episode, because it'll make you appreciate it much more. It perfectly encapsulates the nostalgic feeling of something that felt like a regular part of your life but is gone now.

Time Adventure (embed video is not working for this so here's a link instead)

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - The Dark Warrior - 09-10-2018

I see the title "end of a cartoon era" to be "end of TV's dominance over animated media" thanks to the Internet being a much more consumer-friendly platform over television. Look at statistics on tv subscriptions and also this - https://moneyinc.com/want-proof-tv-dying-one-stat-trumps/.

Shows like Adventure Time and the like ending also I see to part of CN's continued spiral to irrelevance. A shame (because genuinely good shows are also being drowned out by the s*** such as TTG), but that is something to get over soon.

You can safely say that im less than enthused to care about this show nowadays, because its part of a broader context which I said above.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Kritter - 09-10-2018

It was a fun and quirky show in the first bunch of seasons, got a bit big for its britches in later seasons and took the route of adding too much story and lore and lost a bit of the random fun, though some of those stories were amazing despite. Haven't watched it in a while but I'm interested in catching up on what I've missed in the last few seasons. I'm sure it was ready to go though, it's been around for long enough.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Damarioman - 09-11-2018

It ended at an ok time. I feel that if it had gone on much longer it may have outstayed its welcome. I'm, of course, bummed out about it, but it left its legacy in the other shows that came from its production. Shows that otherwise may not have been made.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Shadow Administrator Drei - 09-14-2018

I'm glad it came, and sad it's gone. I wish people didn't follow K's calarts terrible critique meme for The Iron Giant and apply it to AT and other shows, especially as they're almost all better story telling than what the last few decades have had in cartoons.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 09-14-2018

Adventure Time was Okay IMO But it Aint The BEST Cartoon Network Show, I think Uncle Grandpa is Better

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Razz - 09-14-2018

I didn't watch a ton of it, but I remember the hype when it was revealed that the original short from Nickelodian was becoming a full TV show. That was wild.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - lean - 09-14-2018

it's sad to know adventure time ended.. one of my fav cartoons along regular show and gravity falls. i didn't watch the finale from adventure time yet but i will. for now, i'll say, 
thanks pendleton ward for this show. 8 long years which made some of my childhood.

ps: it seems adventure time came as a funny cartoon and ended as a mystery/'serious' one, which caught me a bit more.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Syaxamaphone - 09-16-2018

Hearing fact that people grew up with this show makes my ancient corpse-body shrivel up and turn into dust.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - HylianDev - 09-17-2018

(09-10-2018, 03:12 PM)The Dark Warrior Wrote: Shows like Adventure Time and the like ending also I see to part of CN's continued spiral to irrelevance. A shame (because genuinely good shows are also being drowned out by the s*** such as TTG), but that is something to get over soon.

I don't think CN's in much of a spiral to irrelevance. I'm sure the internet has done a number on it, but they've got a significantly better reputation now than they did in 2009.

The new 2010 shows -- Adventure Time, Regular Show, and even stuff that didn't survive long like MAD -- really kicked them back into shape, and they've continued to have shows that range from pretty good (Clarence, We Bare Bears) to masterpieces (Steven Universe, Over The Garden Wall).

They're probably one of the most watched networks these days.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Evil Yoshi Toes - 09-17-2018

I watched some of the earlier episodes. I don't think it's my type of show but I could tell it was good quality. It's great that people seem generally satisfied with how the show ended. It's hard for a popular show's ending to satisfy its fans, but this seemed to do that pretty well judging by people's reactions.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - lean - 09-17-2018

gotta agree with hylian here. Thumbs Up
since 2009 or i don't remember when, live action shows were killing the original purpose of cartoon network as well as decisions from managers (? i didn't like shows such as level up.. omg. however, in 2010 they went up with those cartoon shows.

i think cn adapted kinda well to new generations (except several shows ofc. not all is good, such as uncle grandpa). we had our favorite shows at those times and kids today must enjoy their favorite ones.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Damarioman - 09-17-2018

It's kinda funny, when the commercials for shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe started to pop up on TV, they turned me off of the shows. I only started watching the shows because I watched an episode when there wasn't anything else on.

For Adventure Time, it was Puhoy that drew me in. For Steven Universe, it was Rose's Scabbard.

It only goes to show that you shouldn't judge a show by its commercials.

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - rollerC - 09-17-2018

I like Steven Universe, but let’s not go so quick as to call it a masterpiece. It certainly took a lot of risks, but sometimes you can’t tell what’s more inconsistent—the animation or the pace of the plot. By this time and[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText] this many seasons, you’d think that we’d actually get somewhere with the plot in SU. But we still haven’t. They just drop a lot of key mystery words that please the fanboys/fangirls but never really do anything crazy, meaningful, or conclusive with the world and plot they’ve set up so far. I still don’t really know where the show is supposed to go. Yes, we’ve had a few arcs close, but they took way too much time compared to other cartoon arcs.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]I say that as someone who loves all these shows, I just think calling SU a perfect or masterful work is not true or fair to other cartoons.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]sorry for weird formatting i really tried to fix it rip[/font][/font]

RE: The end of a cartoon era. - Shadow Administrator Drei - 09-17-2018

"that's it. this is cn's death. the end of the end is near. this terrible lolsorandumb with no character growth excuse of a show is over, and is heralding the death of the network. just look at what's next.

beanfaced thundercats.

they're ruining thundercats. the very popular, well regarded, and very lengthy history franchise thundercats."

- some loser making youtube rants, probably

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.