MFGG Forums
REJECTED Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: REJECTED Bring Back the phpBB Forums (/showthread.php?tid=1333)

Bring Back the phpBB Forums - SonicKade2048 - 09-26-2018

The old forums we had were one of the best parts of me being here in MFGG. What I want more than anything out of what I can get in MFGG right now is to have the phpBB forums be reopened for access again. Most of you may think that this is a dumb idea, that we have nothing left to gain from them and that we should keep them archived and/or locked away, but in my personal and honest opinion, the phpBB forums are better than these MyBB ones. I want to bring back memories and threads we've made (excluding the bad ones that caused trouble for example), looking back and quite possibly continuing old things we may have forgotten. Please, staff, I want to revisit the old phpBB forums once again. Unlock the chains holding them from being public, and allow us to post there again. Even if it's just for a day, I want to have them open.

This may seem like some sob story speech just to get something I want out of pity, but I really do want these old forums to be shown the light of day again. Some things over there have precious memories to some people, and not being able to access them would be bad, would it not? We won't have access to post in threads we may want to continue, such as Dustin's Super Ancient Keys thread. The "death" of the phpBB forums locked away so many threads that could've been/were still active.

TL;DR: I want the old forums unlocked for however long you think we should have them open for. I've wanted this for a while but never had the guts to say it out loud. Please, let us have access to the old forums so we can relive memories.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Kritter - 09-26-2018

I mean I had plenty of memories on the Ezboards but I don't want to see it return, mainly because 99% of the people on those old forums have moved on. You can bring back the old boards but you can't bring back the people who once posted on them and memories is all you've really got after that, which are already preserved.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Mario - 09-26-2018

You can still access them here: https://phpbb.mfgg.net/. Feel free to recycle any thread you'd want to see return over here, I'm sure If You Post It, They Will Come.

Also Welcome back, I see you've made a handful of posts since leaving.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - DustinVG - 09-26-2018

(09-26-2018, 07:41 PM)KirbyLover2048 Wrote: We won't have access to post in threads we may want to continue, such as Dustin's Super Ancient Keys thread.

There's a thread on the new forums, actually! It hasn't been terribly active, sure (somewhat my own fault), but it's there.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Vitiman - 09-26-2018

I remember when I was 16, I really wanted to bring back the IPB boards. So I did. Twice.

It wasn't a very good idea either time. Also, what Kritter said: as much fun as it would be to relive the "old days", the truth is you can't get it exactly. A lot of active posters even when the phpBB boards were nearing the end of their life are not around anymore, let alone the ones who were around when you were more active on there.

You don't have to accept all change blindly, but you have to acknowledge that some moments, some aspects of life as a whole, really can't be brought back.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Shadow Administrator Drei - 09-26-2018

Can we bring back the 08 MFGG board instead? I'd rather have activity and Kira Games.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - VinnyVideo - 09-26-2018

The phpBB archive is still around, so if you'd like to take a stroll down Memory Lane, you're always welcome to do so! If there's a good topic on phpBB that ought to be on MyBB, you can always recreate it here.

On the other hand, I don't see a point in reopening an archived forum. There's a reason we upgraded to MyBB - the old forums were running on software over a decade old, and it was nearly impossible to add any new plugins and features to the old phpBB boards.

I know you have some great memories from the phpBB era - we all did. However, time only flows in one direction, and it's impossible to return to the past even if you wanted to. MFGG has been through a few rough spots lately, but I still have hope that our best days are just ahead.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - HylianDev - 09-27-2018

You're having your first MFGG Nostalgia Crisis, which is a thing we probably all know very well but for some reason doesn't have a Wiki article.

Vim used dilapidated forum software to make her own sites. I begged Falcon to let me revive ZFGN (which went resoundingly well, ask anyone who knows). and I'm sure others have their own stories too.

It builds character.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Shadow Administrator Drei - 09-27-2018

Yeah, I was involved in a few Pixeltendo revivals or spiritual successors, and it's just something you learn to appreciate; the old and the gone. It's best to try and create what you want with what you have than live in the past.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - SonicKade2048 - 09-27-2018

(09-26-2018, 07:51 PM)Mario Wrote: Also Welcome back, I see you've made a handful of posts since leaving.
I'd like for you to see this topic which explains a bit more on how I'm not fully inactive/leaving, real life problems are keeping me away from MFGG as well.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - СМБХфан - 09-28-2018

The SJG is actually alive and well, yet it is not that active.

RE: Bring Back the phpBB Forums - Pedigree - 09-29-2018

Everything I could say has already been said. So I'm just going to move this to resolved as it has been overwhelmingly rejected.

Please feel free to browse phpbb.mfgg.net if you want to relive those moments.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.