MFGG Forums
Questions about LumaSMS. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Questions about LumaSMS. (/showthread.php?tid=1339)

Questions about LumaSMS. - OssieTheOstrich - 10-01-2018

When will the LumaSMS main site and forums enter beta testing?

Will it be having more then just Mario fan-games? (e.g: Nintendo fan-games)

How would the main site and forums be merged? How would that work?

Will the Discord be integrated in someway? (Like in the SMBX forums?)

Will the Wiki (the old one or a new one) be integrated in someway?

What will happen to the current main site and forums when LumaSMS is released?

Will there be more options for skins, submissions, and pre-made avatars?

Will there be not only text based game reviews, but video ones as well?

and will the Quality Control have a mind set of quality over quantity when approving submissions?

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - Pedigree - 10-01-2018

Quote:and will the Quality Control have a mind set of quality over quantity when approving submissions?
Quality Control will not be changing. Quality Control is there to make sure the game runs, doesn't break any rules and doesn't contain viruses.

That's all I know.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - Mario - 10-02-2018

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: When will the LumaSMS main site and forums enter beta testing?
When it's ready. That's not a snarky answer, that's all we have to go off of at this time.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: Will it be having more then just Mario fan-games? (e.g: Nintendo fan-games)
LumaSMS is being built for MFGG but as it is open source it will be available to others to use for their own purposes. Unless you're asking if MFGG will host other projects? That's not really of the scope of LumaSMS, feel free to make a suggestions thread asking about that though.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: How would the main site and forums be merged? How would that work?
Main site accounts will be carried over 100%. Not sure if we'll be carrying over the current forums and their data- MFGG is no stranger to a forum wipe so it's not out of the question to just leave it out. But it would be possible to port the forum data over as well, hardest part will be linking accounts to their correct main site account; hopefully we can have MyBB set up to link accounts and encourage everyone to do that before LumaSMS is complete and ready to transfer over data.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: Will the Discord be integrated in someway? (Like in the SMBX forums?)
No plans for integrating Discord exist at this time. Might be something we'll add in after launch though. Mainly want to focus on getting a new main site up; anything else isn't high priority.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: Will the Wiki (the old one or a new one) be integrated in someway?
Same as above really. Personally I'd like it if the main site got rid of any need for a wiki.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: What will happen to the current main site and forums when LumaSMS is released?
Assuming we port over the data 100%, the main site will simply be replaced. If we can't, the old main site may be up on a subdomain for a bit until we can get all the data over. If we can port the forums over 100%, they'll be removed, but otherwise they'll just be archived like all the other old forums MFGG archives.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: Will there be more options for skins, submissions, and pre-made avatars?
Hopefully!

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: Will there be not only text based game reviews, but video ones as well?
It's possible, but we wouldn't be hosting the videos ourselves and it's really up to the staff if they want to deal with moderating video reviews or not. Personally for the most part I'm not a fan of video reviews but I can see how they'd be useful.

(10-01-2018, 01:31 AM)AnOstrichmakingMarioGeneration Wrote: and will the Quality Control have a mind set of quality over quantity when approving submissions?
I think the MFGG staff focus more on the site being an archive of works, whereas reviews handle the curation of them.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - VinnyVideo - 10-06-2018

These are all good questions! I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Just keep in mind that most of this is not set in stone - the lumaSMS dev team, the rest of the MFGG staff, and the MFGG community will all play an important role in deciding which features get added and how the system is implemented. If you have suggestions, comments, or concerns, please step right up.

When will the LumaSMS main site and forums enter beta testing?
We're not sure - that's dependent on the people who are developing it. Everyone here is a volunteer - they're giving generously of their time and talents to help make this happen, and we can't commit to a firm release date. I hope it happens sooner rather than later, though.

Will it be having more then just Mario fan-games? (e.g: Nintendo fan-games)
Making a "Nintendo Fan Games Galaxy" is certainly something to discuss. We could simply start accepting more non-Mario Nintendo content, or we could make a set of parallel sites linked to a single sign-on - you could log in to your MFGG account and be able to post on/submit to a ZeldaFGG, KirbyFGG, etc., each with their own unique skin.

How would the main site and forums be merged? How would that work?
What will happen to the current main site and forums when LumaSMS is released?
Everything on the current mainsite will be transferred to the new system (although we might make improvements to the way content is organized.) Once beta testing is complete, the release will probably be a direct changeover - if both the old and new systems run in parallel, it wouldn't be for a long time.

The forums are iffier. Ideally, lumaSMS would combine the mainsite and forums into one system, so you'd only need one account to use both parts of MFGG. If this happens, we could archive the current forums and start fresh, or someone (such as myself) could write a script to move current topics and posts into the new system. This wouldn't be too difficult, especially if we can get all mainsite users to include their phpBB user IDs in their profiles (there's a reason I added that field!).

Will the Discord be integrated in someway? (Like in the SMBX forums?)
I don't know much about plugins for Discord integration. Currently, there are no plans to add this feature, but it's something we could discuss in the future.

Will the Wiki (the old one or a new one) be integrated in someway?
This is beyond the scope of the current lumaSMS project, but in a future phase I'd love to see a way to integrate wiki-like functionality into the mainsite. (If this happens, this would increase the odds of us archiving the current MFGG Wiki.)

Will there be more options for skins, submissions, and pre-made avatars?
More skins are always nice - if someone wants to make more, that would be awesome indeed. As for having more submission types, we plan to separate fangames and ROM hacks (this could conceivably happen even before lumaSMS gets finished). Premade avatars aren't used much, but it doesn't hurt to have some more.

Will there be not only text based game reviews, but video ones as well?
Hosting videos on the MFGG server isn't technically feasible, but there could be a way to add a section for each game for links to offsite LPs, video reviews, and so forth.

and will the Quality Control have a mind set of quality over quantity when approving submissions?
That's another discussion for another day, but probably not. Submitting to the lumaSMS will probably be more like posting a game topic on the forums. (Staff will always be monitoring game submissions to make sure that they run properly and meet other basic standards, though.)

Finally, just in case anyone is worried: No MFGG content, whether on the mainsite, forums, or Wiki, will be lost during this transition. If a current system is retired, we'll make sure that it's still accessible in a read-only state, and we'll be sure to keep some offsite backups as well.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - OssieTheOstrich - 10-09-2018

Thanks Mario and Vinny for answering me questions!

Though i have a few more.

What would MFGG3/LumaSMS MFGG look like?

When i meant main site and forums merging, i meant like you can both submit submissions and make forums posts. So will that be added?

Will there be a thing similar to the "Who's Online" page, but instead show you who got recently banned and when bans will end?

Will more options submission types? (e.g: Series type: Wario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Mario Party, Paper Mario, etc).

And will any bad fangames be carried over?

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - lean - 10-09-2018

no need for a public list of banned users tbh.

imo if forums will be merged, then create and upload options would be both there.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - Fun With Despair - 10-09-2018

(10-09-2018, 02:19 AM)Ostrich Wrote: And will any bad fangames be carried over?
All fangames currently on the site will be carried over, regardless of perceived quality.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - VinnyVideo - 10-09-2018

What would MFGG3/LumaSMS MFGG look like?
That's up to whoever's making the skin for it. We'll probably have several different skins available.

When i meant main site and forums merging, i meant like you can both submit submissions and make forums posts. So will that be added?
When lumaSMS is completed, that's what we'd like to have.

Will there be a thing similar to the "Who's Online" page, but instead show you who got recently banned and when bans will end?
Probably not - for reasons discussed in another recent topic, we're inclined to keep specific details of ban information out of public view. It would be good for banned members to know when their bans expire, though.

Will more options submission types? (e.g: Series type: Wario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Mario Party, Paper Mario, etc).
I'm not sure what you mean, but MFGG already accepts Wario, Yoshi, and DK stuff.

And will any bad fangames be carried over?
(10-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: All fangames currently on the site will be carried over, regardless of perceived quality.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - OssieTheOstrich - 12-29-2018

So i have few more questions to ask about MFGG3. (I was already typing this but then the power went out and i lost my post.)

Will LumaSMS/MFGG3 allow you to play fangames in your browser?

Will MFGG3's comment section look like making a post on the forums?

Will MFGG3 host flash games?

Will the main font of MFGG3 be the Super Mario 256 font?

How big will the maximum file size be for MFGG3?

Will MFGG3 host full versions (or cracked versions) of game making programs like Game Maker Studio 2?

Will MFGG3 bring back the Joke Game category?

Will MFGG3 have more game categories?

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - Mario - 12-29-2018

Don't have answers for all of these since some of them are more organizational kinda questions that I can't answer, but I'll answer what I can.

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will LumaSMS/MFGG3 allow you to play fangames in your browser?
If people submit games that can be played in the browser, we can support it. We can't build tools that make games made for windows or macOS or anything like that just magically work in the browser though, but if something like that ever exists it can be something worth looking into.

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will MFGG3's comment section look like making a post on the forums?
Ideally, yes, the comments and forum posts will look the same. If it ends up being weird from a user experience perspective plans could change.

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will MFGG3 host flash games?
I don't see why not, but with Adobe not interested in supporting it anymore I'm sure flash's days as supported in browsers are numbered.

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will the main font of MFGG3 be the Super Mario 256 font?
As far as I know, we're going to use MarioFontv3-Solid from this pack for titles and such, but it's not great for body text and that sort of thing. Not exactly sure what'll be used for that but it won't be much different from the font you're reading now- er wait, not comic sans but someone else's post.

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will MFGG3 host full versions (or cracked versions) of game making programs like Game Maker Studio 2?
Obviously, MFGG can't host anything illegal such as cracked programs or programs we're not allowed to distribute, but I'm sure we can host useful tools that are free to distribute.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - VinnyVideo - 01-05-2019

Seems I forgot to give @Ostrich a proper response. @Mario already answered most of the questions, but I'd like to add a few things:

(12-29-2018, 01:32 AM)Ostrich Wrote: Will LumaSMS/MFGG3 allow you to play fangames in your browser?
I'd love to see this - for HTML5 games, players could play them in their browser instead of having to download them to their PCs. Obviously, this won't work for all games, but support for HTML5 games is one of my most-wanted features.

Ostrich Wrote:Will MFGG3 host flash games?
I believe the mainsite already hosts some Flash games, but you have to download them instead of playing them in your browser. It would be cool if you could play Flash games directly in the browser, but I'm not sure how much longer browsers will support Flash.

Ostrich Wrote:How big will the maximum file size be for MFGG3?
This limit can be changed in the current software - it's just hard to find and requires admins to change a certain PHP file. Right now, space is a little tight on the server, so we might have to wait until we move to a different server before it's feasible to increase the file size limit for games. Admins can always override this limit by uploading files through FTP, though.

Ostrich Wrote:Will MFGG3 bring back the Joke Game category?
The current mainsite hosts a lot of joke games, but I don't think we've ever had a category just for joke games.

Ostrich Wrote:Will MFGG3 have more game categories?
The current mainsite software actually makes it easy to add new categories - it's just hard to add a whole new section like the Hacks section, which was a major headache. If the games list is missing something that ought to be there, please let me know.

RE: Questions about LumaSMS. - Gate - 01-07-2019

Quote:but I'm not sure how much longer browsers will support Flash.

According to this article from The Verge

All browsers will end supporting flash in 2020

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.