MFGG Forums
Scyther Cosplay - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Scyther Cosplay (/showthread.php?tid=1406)

Scyther Cosplay - Retriever II - 11-02-2018

Well, this is the most ambitious "art" project I've ever taken on, but starting with initial research and planning in February, I embarked on creating a full suit Scyther cosplay to bring to MAGFest and other cons.

[Image: y4m2aQv_1rZkWkvqZc_7TB5f6vvbqZGBwP22SPlw...pmode=none]

I started the process with the Pokemon X/Y Scyther model uploaded at The Models Resource, and re-learned enough of Blender to break apart the pieces and rebuild them around a human model.  

I exported those models and learned how to turn them into to-scale, printable papercraft projects with the Pepikura software.  

I built those paper crafts, and then cut them back up again to make patterns.  

I learned how to foam craft with EVA and upholstery foam.  

I learned how to dye fabric.

I learned how to machine sew with Spandex.  And cover terrible shapes with it.

I learned how to make fursuit eyes.  

Lots of firsts in this project.  Lots of R&D, both successful and not, which is why this project took me about 8 months to complete.  But it was a pretty rad creative process to go through.

[Image: y4moVBROU0NeVp73_i6IRoUisFCxM2hlzBiicqbe...pmode=none][Image: y4mYOAb9-1lTAO5Jm-O8V1FcU-ZKOaQ1dmgDfF96...pmode=none]

The wings gave me particular frustrations and challeneges towards the end.  At 0.75 lbs each, they're not particular heavy, but they generate a lot of force when they're sticking out 3 feet.  

I eventually settled on a design that would hold up to those forces and allow me to mount the wings in either a raised or lowered position (just need my handler to whip out a screwdriver).  They can also swing back because they're hinged, just need to make some stoppers to keep them in a fixed position.

[Image: y4m06JNAnFBvmVuagzKHHbbeas5zoVTuwUSkHEge...pmode=none][Image: y4mPhsua_Yeq3rIysp7Wc5yRlycNI3cY76t1Slc6...pmode=none]

I put this costume through its first test run on Halloween by walking around with the downtown trick-or-treaters.  Con floor should be even more fun.  But man those feet are crazy hard to walk around in, mainly those claws.  I'll have to work on that.

[Image: y4mqfi0R6t-80vRF8K3b-4yXZ9BMiqKxmKnvcKj5...pmode=none]

I've still got some work to do on it before con time, and there's a million things wrong with it, but I'm pretty thrilled without how all came together.

I'll come back with an update after I put this through its real test at MAGFest.  There will at least be a great Pokemon photo shoot.  I hope the Snorlax comes back!

RE: Scyther Cosplay - Mariotroid - 11-02-2018

Wow. That's amazing!! You must have learned so much, and really expanded your creativity.

This is too awesome, I had to send this thread URL to a friend, it's too good.

RE: Scyther Cosplay - E-Man - 11-02-2018

I'm impressed! You truly are a renaissance man!

RE: Scyther Cosplay - Retriever II - 07-14-2019

I did some significant updating to Scyther after MAGFest (mostly due to breaking a wing).  I ended up rebuilding the entire thorax, along with a new wing design.  I finished this work in time for Connecticon 2019, and won best in show for craftsmanship.

[Image: y4mVO5PZHw7_kn5teRmLJd7Yek70KLKbYGs97QLY...pmode=none]

[Image: y4mj0wczokHUbjZOJZqEuIkoBlVNRSm6ON58lFAU...pmode=none]

[Image: y4m0By4x4Dl4fdeP77QxRIkYe4M57vYNqpVdvJPr...pmode=none]

RE: Scyther Cosplay - GeneralGuy - 07-14-2019

This is seriously incredible, RII. It looks professionally made with the right anatomy, proportions and materials used. Great job!

RE: Scyther Cosplay - Lee - 07-14-2019

That a very deserved award, thats incredible looking.

RE: Scyther Cosplay - Demonlemon - 07-14-2019

that is fantastic

RE: Scyther Cosplay - VinnyVideo - 07-14-2019

That is quite an awesome Scyther. When I first saw the picture where you're standing by the stairs, I thought it was a Pokemon Go AR shot!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.