MFGG Forums
The war to end all wars - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The war to end all wars (/showthread.php?tid=1429)

The war to end all wars - Damarioman - 11-11-2018

Regardless of whether it's appropriate to post this topic here or not, or even if anyone cares about this, I'm going to post it anyway, because it's important to me and to the history of this earth.

This day, 100 years ago, November 11th, marks the end of the First World War.

This day, 100 years ago, after all the death and destruction, the war that had taken so much from so many ended officially.

This day, 100 years ago, the world undeniably changed.

Regardless of whether you support war or not, you should always remember those who died to protect your right to support or condemn war.

LEST WE FORGET

RE: The war to end all wars - Friendly Dictator - 11-11-2018

the people in ww1 didn't die to protect any rights. they died for nothing in a totally pointless war. don't glorify it

RE: The war to end all wars - Mario - 11-11-2018

I'm not sure WWI is that important to Earth's history, though I'll give you humanity's.
(11-11-2018, 11:46 AM)Friendly Dictator Wrote: the people in ww1 didn't die to protect any rights. they died for nothing in a totally pointless war. don't glorify it
Care to elaborate? My WWI history is a bit rusty but I can see where you'd draw this conclusion. Europe was itching to try out their new toys and found whatever excuse they could to have a big war. Turns out the toys sucked anyway, nobody likes WWI combat games.

RE: The war to end all wars - Damarioman - 11-12-2018

(11-11-2018, 09:31 AM)Damarioman Wrote: Regardless of whether you support war or not, you should always remember those who died to protect your right to support or condemn war.

I wasn't specifically referring to ww1 with this line.

(11-11-2018, 01:00 PM)Mario Wrote: I'm not sure WWI is that important to Earth's history, though I'll give you humanity's.
(11-11-2018, 11:46 AM)Friendly Dictator Wrote: the people in ww1 didn't die to protect any rights. they died for nothing in a totally pointless war. don't glorify it
Care to elaborate? My WWI history is a bit rusty but I can see where you'd draw this conclusion. Europe was itching to try out their new toys and found whatever excuse they could to have a big war. Turns out the toys sucked anyway, nobody likes WWI combat games.

The Great War started due to a domino effect.

Archduke Franz-Ferdinand of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was assassinated in Bosnia.

The Austrians believed that his assassins were given support by the Serbian Government.

The Austrians delivered an ultimatum to Serbia, asking that Austrian officials be allowed to investigate the matter. Serbia refused.

Russia mobilized against Austria in order to protect their Ally Serbia.

Germany mobilized against Russia and its ally France in order to protect Austria.

Britain issued an ultimatum to Germany and France, asking them to respect Belgian neutrality. France agreed, the Germans didn't respond.

Austria declared war on Serbia and Russia.

Russia declared war on Austria and Germany.

Germany declared war on Russia and France.

Germany enacted the Schlieffen Plan, which was to knock France out of the war by taking Paris by cutting through Belgium.

Britain and its Empire declared war on Germany for violating Belgian neutrality.

And so started the Great War.

RE: The war to end all wars - Giacomo - 11-12-2018

Yeah. there's no reason to glorify it. Countless people died for nothing because of some stupid ambitions of certain people in high places. It's horrible. Soon afterwards followed the WWII, which shows that they didn't even care about the bloodshed that was caused in the previous war.

RE: The war to end all wars - Damarioman - 11-12-2018

I bring to you a video of The last days of the war.

RE: The war to end all wars - Damarioman - 11-15-2018

[video=youtube]m.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6m6Lk4ngM[/video]

RE: The war to end all wars - Shadow Administrator Drei - 11-17-2018

I'm really glad that that war lead to an impossible to pay debt on a country that immediately looked to demonize jewish people.

RE: The war to end all wars - Mariotroid - 11-18-2018

(11-17-2018, 11:54 AM)Shadow Administrator Drei Wrote: I'm really glad that that war lead to an impossible to pay debt on a country that immediately looked to demonize jewish people.

Dont forget they demonized us gays and many other minorities too!!

RE: The war to end all wars - Syaxamaphone - 11-18-2018

Just another day on the Super Mario Brothers forum

RE: The war to end all wars - Kaguya Houraisan - 11-18-2018

I was kinda confused by the title, have ALL wars even ended? I still don't see such a thing as "world peace" become true.

RE: The war to end all wars - Mariotroid - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 03:01 AM)Kaguya Houraisan Wrote: I was kinda confused by the title, have ALL wars even ended? I still don't see such a thing as "world peace" become true.

At least we arent nuking each other yet... emphasis on the "yet"...

RE: The war to end all wars - Damarioman - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 03:01 AM)Kaguya Houraisan Wrote: I was kinda confused by the title, have ALL wars even ended? I still don't see such a thing as "world peace" become true.

"The War to End All Wars" was one of the names they referred to the First World War By. And in a sense, its sort of correct. The way wars were fought before the Great War was more similar to the Napoleonic wars. The First World War changed how we fought war, and how we viewed war. War was seen as a noble endeavour and sometimes was even thought as necessary. It was the war that ended war as we knew it. There was no honour in modern war, there was no nobility in modern war, the war was not necessary.

RE: The war to end all wars - OssieTheOstrich - 11-18-2018

(11-18-2018, 01:48 AM)Syaxamaphone Wrote: Just another day on the Super Mario Brothers forum
A pretty ordinary day, nothing strange here.

RE: The war to end all wars - fireball3k - 11-22-2018

speaking as someone who majored in history and focused on the first world war, that war was a cluster F. a very interesting time in human history, no doubt, but still, a pointless conflict born of the minutiae of european politics of that time period. and to think that they all thought it would be a jolly good romp which would be over by christmas of 1914... considering how much of a quagmire the whole thing was, i wonder what the hell EA was smoking when they decided to make a battlefield game set during it.

perhaps related, one of the reasons i've grown to hate historiography is because it traditionally focuses on wars and politics to the exclusion of everything else. sure, you get schools of thought like the annales school which tries to examine (as an oversimplification) the general zeitgeist of ordinary citizens, but who's heard of them, right?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.