MFGG Forums
MFGG User Survey Results: Event Suggestions - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: MFGG User Survey Results: Event Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=1472)

MFGG User Survey Results: Event Suggestions - VinnyVideo - 11-25-2018

This fall we did an MFGG User Survey for gathering ideas from the MFGG community. One question asked if users had any ideas for special events or competitions. Here's a compilation of all the ideas that were shared!

New Events
Some people suggested events that have never happened on MFGG before, at least to my knowledge. Kudos to all those who shared innovative ideas!
  • Power-up coding contest
  • A contest where users create a game using a premade engine, like Hello's or Gatete's engine
  • "Mario Game Scenario" competition for coming up with original fangame ideas
  • Cutscene competition
  • Competition for making backgrounds
  • Video competition
  • Writing competition
  • A wargame or continue the comic but you could only see the panel right before the one you're assigned to
  • An FLOSS (Free and Libre Open Source Software) special event
  • Doing more with Mario Maker
  • Super Smash Bros reveal prediction rally
  • Guess a Game tournament (contestants are provided with clues and try to figure out what game the clues are referring to)

Revivals of Previous MFGG Events
Some people are clamoring for the return of cool events we've done in the past!
  • Level Design Competition (can be done with SMBX, ROM hacking, a fangame's built-in level editor, Mario Maker, etc.) (two people suggested this)
  • MFGG Review Drive
  • Wiki Smooth Jazz Experience
  • MFGG Mafia
  • MFGG Wrestling
  • Minus Galaxy
  • MFGG Idol singing competition
  • Easter Egg Hunt
  • Halloween event
  • More holiday events in general
  • Game jams (three people requested this - our Halloween event did this, but we might want to do this again in the future)
  • A weekend-long Minigame Comp

More Gaming Tournaments/Events
A bunch of people expressed interest in getting together and playing some games!
  • More gaming events
  • Gaming tournaments (two people mentioned this)
  • Game competitions: matches, speedruns/races, something similar to Games Done Quick
  • Game nights
  • Tetris Attack competition
  • Mario Kart Time Trials tournament (contestants do selected courses for a certain Mario Kart game in Time Trails to try to get the best time, with proof provided, such as a picture or video)
  • A racing competition
  • Competitions where two players see who can last longer in minigame fan games (I think it's a Gaming Tournament where people compete to play fangames - please correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you wrote)

Ideas for Current Competition Formats
Some people suggested themes that they'd like to see in existing competition formats:
  • WarioWare fangame competition
  • Character-based game competitions (not sure exactly what was meant here)
  • A spriting contest where you make sprites of a Mario character in a non-Mario game (such as Mario in the style of Metal Slug)
  • Artwork with the NES's color limits
  • Mico competition! You make sprites that are 8 by 8 pixels

Ideas for Modifying Current Competitions
Some people shared suggestions for improving current competitions. The last one might be an itty-bitty bit outside of our budget, but you never know!
  • More frequent Sprite Competitions
  • More frequent Minigame Competitions and Joke Game Contests
  • Slow down competitions (doing them less frequently)
  • Discord-exclusive contests or events
  • Switch giveaway

Stuff We're Already Doing
A handful of people suggested things that we're already doing. If I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, though, please feel free to clarify.
  • MFGG SAGE (this sounds like NCFC, which could definitely do with more promotion)
  • Custom Competition, see in 2 weeks who can make the best custom sprites
  • Game Greatness, see in 1 month who can make the greatest
  • Fanart competitions

I don't quite understand
And finally, there's always a few things that leave you scratching your head!
  • Pokemon Red Mew
  • The End of MFGG. Funny event where MFGG permanently shuts down on 10/15/18 for good.

Please speak up if there are any competitions or events you'd like to see! If your idea requires extended discussion, it might be better to create a separate topic.

Thanks again for sharing all these ideas. Let's work together to make some of these happen!

RE: MFGG User Survey Results: Event Suggestions - Q-Nova - 12-05-2018

Holiday events are something I'd like to see more of. We had some fun Halloween stuff this year, but I'd love to see another Easter egg hunt; I really enjoyed the one from 2015 and felt disappointed to see it not come back ever since. Sad It's been a while since I've seen a gaming event here, so it could be nice to do another one. Also, I'd like to see another design competition; the Smash Bros character design competition we had a while ago was quite a lot of fun!

RE: MFGG User Survey Results: Event Suggestions - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-05-2018

Yeah, that'd be fitting too with the new game right around the corner.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.