MFGG Forums
Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series (/showthread.php?tid=1589)

Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Daisy - 01-13-2019

What's considered in the main series is on this section of the article: https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_(series)#Main_games

Mine's Super Mario Galaxy because despite the obvious science being ignored, it's quite an interesting atmosphere and story there. It's also one of the few where I think there are actually "new locations" since this doesn't really take place in the Mushroom Kingdom but on different planets.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Thunderbro - 01-13-2019

This is actually a pretty tough decision, because so many games on that list are great. I do also find it a little hard to compare the side scrollers to the 3D games. I think the game I had the most fun with was Super Mario Sunshine, it's a bit different from other entries... but I love Isle Delfino and all of its connected areas.

Also as far as sidescrollers go, Super Mario Bros 3 gets a special shoutout for being my favorite out of the 2D games.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - VinnyVideo - 01-13-2019

SMB3 is still probably my favorite Mario game.

Super Mario Galaxy is my favorite of the 3-D games.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Mors - 01-14-2019

I still love 64 tbh

SMW is my favorite when it comes to 2D tho

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 01-14-2019

3d: Super Mario Odyssey 

2d: New Super Mario Bros Wii

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-14-2019

My favorite is still Sunshine. Probably partially due to nostalgia, but I also just love tropical settings which is probably why it and Wind Waker are two of my favorite games. I also like the absurdity of Sunshine's storyline and final boss (Bowser in a bathtub that floats in space).

Super Mario World is my favorite of the side scrollers.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Mario - 01-14-2019

Super Mario 64 Baby!!!!!!

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Hungry San - 01-14-2019

Super M64 has grown on me recently so that's my favorite that's all, because i enjoy the rich the acrobatics while jumping and moving around, they're very good compared to Galaxy at least. What do you all think of the acrobatics in Odyssey?

I haven't played Odyssey, and probably i won't because i don't want to buy another console.

The best game is probably Bros 3 because you could say everything about it is flawless, good enemies, perfect powerups, a story to speak of. I also like the jolly enemies of Mario World. Galaxy has incredibly awkward powerups.

Yoshi's Island is fantastic though not perfect.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-15-2019

@Hungry San I would say Mario in Odyssey is less agile than in 64 and even sunshine, but with the cap mechanic there are some new maneuvers you can pull off making Mario's heavier weight less restricting than you'd think when you first start playing.  It's definitely a different feel than 64, but you can tell it draws a lot from it.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Hungry San - 01-15-2019

Ok that's good to know, i'm glad i can always replay the previous games.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - fireball3k - 01-17-2019

if you don't mind letting an old man ramble, then here's some thoughts from uncle fireball. in terms of 2D games, super mario world is my favorite one. in terms of 3D, it's either 64 or sunshine. i'm old enough to remember being on MFGG back when sunshine was the new hotness, and people were hating on it because it wasn't mario 64. funny that that game is regarded in a bit higher esteem these days. i sure didn't realize i loved sunshine until after i'd beat the game and thought "hey, this was a lot of fun to fight my way through."

needless to say, mario odyssey is one of my favorites in years because of its adherence to the 3D adventure style. most of the games in between were good, but i particularly remember having lots of fun with new super mario bros. wii back in college. it was chaotic and fun to have four people playing at the same time, even if this meant we were taking particularly frequent headers into the lava in bowser's castle levels because we couldn't all fit on a moving platform or whatever.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Hungry San - 01-19-2019

(01-17-2019, 11:52 PM)fireball3k Wrote: i sure didn't realize i loved sunshine until after i'd beat the game and thought "hey, this was a lot of fun to fight my way through."

Something about Sunshine doesn't appeal to me, those jelly beans for characters and the water gun isn't enough of a plumber's gear. But hey i wonder why he didn't make it into Splatoon! Things align between those games and i should probably google for secrets.

The beach theme is pretty good in itself, there's actually a Bros 3 cartoon* where the princess went to beach vacation and surfed! So Mario and Luigi had to take care of the kingdom. She saved them lol.

* It was distributed by a former italian president or prime minister by the way!

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Evil Yoshi Toes - 01-19-2019

@Hungry San The water gun in Sunshine wasn't meant to be a plumber's gear, it's a tool he has to use to clean up the island when he is framed for the crime of polluting it with goo.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Damarioman - 01-19-2019

Super Mario Bros for the good ol' NES, was my first video game ever. Mind you, this was back in 2002 when I was about 5 if my math is correct. Mario 2 and 3 though stood out more to me than the original. That being said, Id have to say that my favourite has to be Super Mario Land 2. Acquired it after I got an old, used SNES for Christmas. I'd play it for hours on the Super-Gameboy. It was the wacky art style, bouncy music, and odd locations I think that drew me to it more than other Mario games did.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Hungry San - 01-25-2019

Super Gameboy that's a radical way to play! I never saw one irl, it was hard to find and it seems fun enhancing the games a bit.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Mariotroid - 01-27-2019

Super Mario Land 2 is the best. It started the craze of having weird unexpected levels and world themes. It was a weird game that captured a lot of good feels bro. I like it cause it dared to be original. It hasn't gotten too much spotlight, but to me it is my fav.

RE: Best game in the "main" Super Mario series - Hungry San - 01-27-2019

Its sounds are fun. And also cool that the game shares some characteristics with Mario World

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.