MFGG Forums
GM8.0 Help - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: GM8.0 Help (/showthread.php?tid=1592)

GM8.0 Help - Bully With a Hat - 01-15-2019

I'm trying to make a Mario engine from scratch, and I have no idea how to do it.  Also, I saw something cool whilst working with Drageazy Engine 7 (I have no idea if I spelled it right).  All of Mario's costumes for a powerup were in one sprite!  I just wanted to know how this worked, so I could use it.  F.Y.I., I'm doing this in Game Maker 8.0.

RE: GM8.0 Help - VinnyVideo - 01-15-2019

First of all, welcome to MFGG! I'm glad you're interested in making a Mario engine - you've come to the right place!

If you're getting started with GM, it's usually easier to make separate sprites for each animation. You might have different sprites for standing, walking, running and jumping, and then multiply those by each power-up/costume.

If you want to put all of Mario's sprites in a single sprite, you'll need to use the image_index variable, a special variable that all sprites have. The first frame in the animation will be 0, the second will be 1, and so forth. You'll need to create a few variables of your own and maybe a few Alarm events to cycle through these frames.

If you've never used GM before, I'd suggest starting with a very simple game - maybe something like a Breakout/Pong game. Making a Mario fangame with an original engine isn't rocket science, but it's complicated enough that you might not want it to be your first game.

Again, good luck! We're cheering you on, and we're happy to help point you in the right direction.

RE: GM8.0 Help - Bully With a Hat - 01-17-2019

(01-15-2019, 09:23 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: First of all, welcome to MFGG! I'm glad you're interested in making a Mario engine - you've come to the right place!

If you're getting started with GM, it's usually easier to make separate sprites for each animation. You might have different sprites for standing, walking, running and jumping, and then multiply those by each power-up/costume.

If you want to put all of Mario's sprites in a single sprite, you'll need to use the image_index variable, a special variable that all sprites have. The first frame in the animation will be 0, the second will be 1, and so forth. You'll need to create a few variables of your own and maybe a few Alarm events to cycle through these frames.

If you've never used GM before, I'd suggest starting with a very simple game - maybe something like a Breakout/Pong game. Making a Mario fangame with an original engine isn't rocket science, but it's complicated enough that you might not want it to be your first game.

Again, good luck! We're cheering you on, and we're happy to help point you in the right direction.

Thank you for the info!  I'll be sure to use it later!

RE: GM8.0 Help - Damarioman - 01-17-2019

I recommend that you write out your code first as a flowchart. It helps you visualize the workings of the program and find flaws.

Writing out a flowchart aided me greatly when I programmed my first game. Text-based battleship with a working AI. I'm still proud of my little jank-tacular program.

RE: GM8.0 Help - Bully With a Hat - 01-30-2019

Ok, I decided to scrap the "all-costumes-in-one-sprite" idea, and now I'm having trouble with Mario's direction.  He always faces right, and when I put in "direction = 90/direction = -90," he just zips and zooms all over the place!  What do I do?

RE: GM8.0 Help - Mors - 01-30-2019

The "direction" variable is for movement, what you wanna use is image_xscale. Set it to -1 to turn the character left and set it to 1 to turn it to right (or the opposite if your character is facing left by default).

RE: GM8.0 Help - Mariotroid - 02-01-2019

(01-17-2019, 09:26 PM)Damarioman Wrote: I recommend that you write out your code first as a flowchart. It helps you visualize the workings of the program and find flaws.

Writing out a flowchart aided me greatly when I programmed my first game. Text-based battleship with a working AI. I'm still proud of my little jank-tacular program.
What is a flowchart? I'm looking into it but I'd appreciate if you went into more detail about your flowchart.

RE: GM8.0 Help - Damarioman - 02-01-2019

Flowcharts are a way of mapping out a thought process. Think of it as writing out code as a picture. You can follow the flow of the code from start to finish by following the arrows and queries. I was writing my text-based battleship program in Java and used a lot of If Statements. There was a lot that could've gone wrong so writing out what I wanted to happen as a flow chart helped me in the initial writing of the program, it also helped me discover logic errors before they were written.

RE: GM8.0 Help - Bully With a Hat - 05-04-2019

Thanks a lot!  I've decided to redo my engine, and it's a lot better!  However, Morio just stops on slopes unless I jump!  I don't know what's wrong with it, and I need some help.  Could you help me?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.