MFGG Forums
WIP Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! (/showthread.php?tid=164)

Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - SilverVortex - 12-01-2017

aaa what'm i doing here?

oh yeah fangames

i'm making a super mario odyssey fangame called...SMO2D, not much more to it.

team (so far): me; coder, composer, spriter, ideas man, propmaster etc. etc.
donnietheguy; lead spriter.

screenies;
[Image: Screenshot_31.png]
[Image: run-3.gif]
alright bye

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - FieryExplosion - 12-06-2017

An interesting project, that's to be sure. I like your HUD interface, too. But you should make sure you distinguish it heavily from the official Super Mario Odyssey, just to be safe.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-06-2017

Yeah, you should call it something else. You're almost asking for a shutdown with that title.

I'm looking forward to this. Those sprites look awesome

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Willsaber - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 12:17 AM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Yeah, you should call it something else.
I personally disagree. I think this is a HIGHLY marketable title which would fetch a lot of attention from the Mario fandom. Yes, it's somewhat risky, but it is extremely rewarding in the current fandom climate. People LOVE fangames based on new and popular Mario games (ex: the entire Super Mario Maker fangaming meta, which I was highly involved in).

I totally love these graphics. They might even be better than Mario Flashback!

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - SuperFly - 12-06-2017

That looks decent, I like mario's running animation and the way his hat bounces!

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Nutshell - 12-06-2017

Is this game going to be in sandbox? I personally think that making a sandbox in 2D requires a lot of effort in designing levels.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Mariotroid - 12-06-2017

(12-06-2017, 03:48 PM)No Name Wrote: Is this game going to be in sandbox? I personally think that making a sandbox in 2D requires a lot of effort in designing levels.

It says SilverVortex is the prop master. Probably a good idea to use props and toys and paper to design prototypes of the levels. 

Btw I'm on the discord so, SilverVortex if you need any help with design id love to help. Or ideas. I' getting oddssey in a couple weeks so I'll understand the game better once I've mastered it.

Looks great so far!!!

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - SilverVortex - 12-27-2017

[Image: 5HV6yxT.gif]
bumping the topic for new footage

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - GamerInGeorgia - 12-27-2017

Looks great! Personally, I think that the falling sprite needs to look more like Mario is falling. In the GIF, it looks more like a tilted version of the jump sprite.
But, other than that, the physics look fine, except for at the end where the sliding gets a little wonky, giving Mario too much momentum. Other than that, it looks good! Also, is that Mario counter for lives? As far as I know, Odyssey doesn't have lives.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - Minerador Slime - 12-28-2017

I don't know if it's just for me, but the gif looks laggy. Is that lag caused by the browser, the gif itself or the game? If it's caused by the game i would recommend you optimizing it so it runs on bad computers.

Also, Mario should have an walking animation, using the running animation for everything makes Mario look that he is running slowly when he is actually walking.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - SilverVortex - 12-28-2017

(12-28-2017, 08:00 AM)Minerador Slime Wrote: I don't know if it's just for me, but the gif looks laggy. Is that lag caused by the browser, the gif itself or the game? If it's caused by the game i would recommend you optimizing it so it runs on bad computers.

Also, Mario should have an walking animation, using the running animation for everything makes Mario look that he is running slowly when he is actually walking.

the lag is either licecap bugging, or it's imgur doing things to it.
also, you should ask donnie about the animations, he made them.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - OssieTheOstrich - 12-30-2017

(12-27-2017, 04:34 AM)SilverVortex Wrote: [Image: 5HV6yxT.gif]
Is it just me, or the background, the ground, and the slope sprites are the same from this video? Confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOMfxaKebA
If they are on the main site, could you please direct me to them.

RE: Odyssey2D; a 2D redux! - SilverVortex - 12-30-2017

(12-30-2017, 06:22 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:
(12-27-2017, 04:34 AM)SilverVortex Wrote: [Image: 5HV6yxT.gif]
Is it just me, or the background, the ground, and the slope sprites are the same from this video? Confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOMfxaKebA
If they are on the main site, could you please direct me to them.

the tiles are the defaults for gatete's mario worlds engine 2.
i haven't made any tiles for this game yet, so bear that in mind.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.