MFGG Forums
Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea (/showthread.php?tid=1644)

Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - GoombiranhaPlant - 02-13-2019

Hi there, I'm new. I'll start off by saying I'm not a Coder, though my brother is a very capable one making an original game Song of Asirra currently. I actually live in Senegal for another ten months, been here 1.5 years doing agriculture work w Peace Corps.

So, I'm in a rural village of 200 or so people. electricity came to town just half a year ago, all that detail is just to point out I'm in no position to make or work on a game at least till 2020. But I want to share my ideas and see if anyone wants to help.

An old online friend and I started this graphic style years ago, you see it in my avatar. I'd like to use that for this game idea I've kicked around a long time and recently fleshed out.

Super Mario Countryside
Side scrolling Mario game with RPG elements like exp/leveling up, equipping armor/weapons, party members (but youd only play as one at a time).
It would be open ended like a Metroidvania, one connected world w different areas rather than levels/worlds.

Story, Mario is a famous hero and carpenter, Luigi a well respected blacksmith who forged the Star of Peace from a fallen star. Only now... Nobody can remember who they are!
Bowser has Peach again, but this time she's agreed to marriage and is now Queen Peach. She addresses the Toadstool Court saying she's sick of kidnap/rescue routine, and that Queens need no rescuing.
King Bowser says he's shattered the star of peace as a sign of goodwill to the newly appointed rulers of each area, who were each given a fragment. He says peace must be reached through force, and that immigrants are now illegal, with a green foreigner already imprisoned.

Gameplay starts with a Koopa trying to arrest Mario.
"Mario Mario? I've never heard of you, and King Bowser says all immigrants have to go back to their own countries. Hm? Lived here your whole life? Say your Grandfather was a famous plumber who built the Mushroom Sewers, also named Mario? Ive never heard of any Mario... you aliens always lie!"

So you gotta beat him and then be on your way. Mario's house is near Mushroom Castle, which is locked and actually the final area.
Down leads to Mushroom Sewers and the Warp Zone, with all locked pipes at the start. Further down is the Under Land Dungeons where Luigi is being held, free him and he joins the party.

Left leads to the Toad Hinterlands where one Toad does remember Mario, and joins the party. Boss of this area is "Regular Bowser", pretty weak w only spits small fireballs. If King Bowser is in Mushroom Castle, who is this? . . Beating him gets you a star fragment and "Koopa Aspect" which you can give back to him.

Someone shattered Bowser, and possessed his Power Aspect, and then shattered the Star of Peace and made Peach think she wanted to marry him, and made everyone forget the Mario Bros.

Rock Bowser with the Shell Aspect and Flame Bowser with the Fire Aspect are bosses in other areas , Once Regular Bowser is given his Koopa, Shell, and Fire Aspects back, he will join the party to help stop the imposter and get his Power Aspect back.

Thoughts? Have a lot more designed too...

RE: Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - VinnyVideo - 02-13-2019

Sounds like an interesting concept. It's really cool that you're coming up with fangame ideas while in the Peace Corps!

RE: Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - kumuhmuh - 02-13-2019

i really really like what you have going so far! and as a huge sucker for metroidvanias any mario metroidvania is a good one in my book. the lore and multiple playable characters are really exciting inclusions

RE: Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - GoombiranhaPlant - 02-16-2019

Thank you!

The main villain who did all this and is possessing Bowser's Power Aspect as King, is Dream Goomba, a normal Goomba possessed by a Bad Dream Star that crashed in the world long ago.

Here are the areas/bosses
Mushroom Kingdom - Mushroom Castle Town (Queen Peach/King Bowser, Dream Goomba)
Mushroom Sewers
Toad Hinterlands (Regular Bowser)

Under Land Dungeons, from sewers (Zombie Plumber Patriarch)

Under Land Graves, from Dungeons or Frypan Steppe (Boo Undertaker)

Lichen Kingdom -
Frypan Steppe (Wario, Rock Bowser)
Rock Ear Mountain (Grizzly Unchained Chomp)

Clouds - from top of Rock Ear Mtn.
Terrapin Airship Fleet (Paratroopa General)
Cloud Castle (Emperor Lakitu)

Mossy Kingdom - right of Lichen Kingdom
Lava Swamps (Flame Bowser)
Mossy Woods (Queen Piranha Shrub / Forest Heart Root Bulb)

RE: Metroidvania type Mario platformer/rpg idea - Q-Nova - 02-17-2019

This sounds like a pretty cool concept! I like the story!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.