MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Mariovania - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Mariovania (/showthread.php?tid=170)

Mariovania - KoBeWi - 12-01-2017

[Image: 6o4eFzz.png]
Sooo, you may find some games that mix Castlevania and Mario games, however there wasn't any Mario fangame that completely recreates the metroidvania style.
But now, there IS such game. See what happens, when Castlevania lands in Mushroom Kingdom.

Features:
-huge, exploreable world with map
-experience and equipment system, along with magic skills to upgrade
-enemy encyclopedia and such stuff
-several abilities you need for Mario to reach new areas
-100+ old and new enemies
-great soundtrack
-many secrets

Game is content-complete, which means that it's playable from start to end and I won't add any new content. However, I'll still try to fix reported bugs. Also, bigpotato offered to help with remaking sprites, since they clash a lot. In this topic you can get the newest version of the game, with all the newest sprites from bigpotato and improvements.

You can download the game here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/371i9uce8842cln/Mariovania.zip

Now, screenshots: (note that some of them were taken in older versions and doesn't show up-to-date graphics)
[Image: vmnrnBf.png]
^garden area (newest sprites here)
[Image: XE8tuTS.png]
^Rebound Bro
[Image: TEtaRO0.png]
^near boss door
[Image: W2IkTYz.png]
^pipeline area
[Image: xpW94NS.png]
^entering new zone
[Image: 1pCCpAY.png]
^character screen
[Image: S7jvbUK.png]
^equipment screen
[Image: 7xeSQTQ.png]
^bestiary
[Image: 9BEzpMw.png]
^map screen

And a gameplay video:

EDIT:
Video seems to be broken, so here's the direct link: https://youtu.be/SjSIeA3jHeA

You can see the old topic here: https://phpbb.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14897

RE: Mariovania - Action Lemon - 12-01-2017

ITS DONE!  Soveryhappy

RE: Mariovania - Chafe_Chaotic_Gaming - 12-01-2017

Hey this is Comedic Commentator, I had actually underwent a name change on YouTube (I'm going with just gaming now, no more vlogs) so the forum upgrade came at a good time. Anyway there is a bad bug that makes extended gameplay or any gameplay difficult.
At seemingly random times I get the following error and it crashes:
[Image: Mariovania%20bug_zpsxwhuczix.png]
I also receive that error when closing the game by doing any of the following: Selecting Quit at the Title, Suspending the game and then selecting Quit at the Title, Pressing Alt+F4, Clicking the X on the top right on the window. Also hitting bricks causes a slight second long background glitch.

I really like this game and want to feature it on my YouTube channel but until the random crashing stops I will be unable to do so.

Intel Dual Core @ 1.90 GHz
6.0 GB (5.99 GB Usable)
74GB Virtual RAM
Intel HD Graphics 1GB Intergrated Video Chip

Also you said it's complete but are the graphics clashes going to be fixed or stay as is?

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 12-02-2017

^
I already replied to this on the old forum, but you probably didn't see. Did any crash log.txt appear? Also, what is your graphic card? I never encountered this issue and google isn't helpful either.

(12-01-2017, 10:00 PM)Chafe_Chaotic_Gaming Wrote: Also you said it's complete but are the graphics clashes going to be fixed or stay as is?
If you read my full post, I mentioned that I'll still post updates here, mostly including new graphics. So it's going to be fixed, but at this rate, might take few years, lol

btw, I might have further plans regarding this game. I'd say stay tuned, but not sure how long will it take before I even have anything to announce XD

RE: Mariovania - Chafe_Chaotic_Gaming - 12-02-2017

No it does not produce a crash log. My Graphics card is an on board Intel HAD Graphics Card 1 GB. I did research and it occurs when code is trying to execute to non existing functions. Check your code to make sure you are not calling functions that you may have deleted or removed.

I will try again with different compatibility modes to see if that fixes it as I know windows 10 is picky.
I have another laptop to test it on, I will test it and give the specs of that laptop too if the error continues.

(12-02-2017, 01:08 PM)Chafe_Chaotic_Gaming Wrote: I did research and it occurs when code is trying to execute to non existing functions.
That could only happen in a compiled language (if you manage to compile code with missing functions). In Ruby you get a nice exception whatever wrong you would do.

My Intel HD doesn't cause this issue. The problem is, the game was downloaded over 5 thousand times, and yet, only you reported this issue (I really wish everyone would report such stuff ;_; ). Also, the library I made this game with, I'm using it for like 8 years and never ever I had this error. But strange stuff can happen anyways, like game running with 1 FPS on some computers.

If you have access to another laptop though, see if that fixes it for you. Guess I'll contact Gosu's creator, because certainly it isn't issue with my game.

The problems started occurring after your latest update that fixed the controls. It is your game, the people who didn't report it most likely abandoned the game when it occurred since the game is free after all. I tried every compatibility measure possible and it still occurs. I will post an update after I try it from a different pc. According to Windows Event manager the problem is a application popup, it isn't really registering as even an error as far as the OS is concerned. If I can figure out how to open the source file you provided, it may be possible to just recompile it but that is giving an error with a crash log file that reads:
Code:
cannot load such file -- gosu
C:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/2.4.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
C:/Ruby24-x64/lib/ruby/2.4.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
C:/Users/micha/Dropbox/lets plays/Mariovania/mariovania.rb:4:in `<main>'
I did install Ruby for x86 and x64. I'm not sure how to get gosu though.

Huh, but you say that the error happens to you when you exit the game too, but it doesn't to me.
Dunno, last update was bundled with Ruby upgraded to 2.4, so maybe this caused the issue. I'd have to make a longer game session to see if the crash appears for me (no time right now).

If you want to run from the source, you need to install libraries. Open your cmd and use 'gem install gosu', 'gem install opengl' and 'gem install ashton'. However, it's not that straightforward, because you might need build tools, and Ashton gem isn't maintained by creator anymore and has some problems.

Update: It dawned on me that I had overwritten the game in the same directory when I downloaded the newer version but I had not erased the original settings that were stored elsewhere. Could that be the issue I am facing now? If so can you refresh my memory as to where save files/config files are stored for the game? I would check where you wrote previously on the matter but I cant access the old forum at present.
Update 2: I found the config file and save file, deleted them both and the error persists. I attempted to run it on another machine with Windows 7 home, AMD Dual Core Processor 1.90 GHz with AMD HD Graphics on board, 3 GB RAM (2.99 GB Available) and it worked without fail. The error at close did not occur. I am now investigating my setup to see if there is a problem elsewhere causing the fast fail exception. It appears not to be Gosu or your game rather it may be something in my system or Windows 10 itself.

They are in "%USERPROFILE%/.mygames/mariovania". But this can't be the issue, because the new version automatically converts the old setting into new format and then doesn't use the old files at all. I didn't want anyone to lose their progress.

Okay since it worked on the Windows 7 machine I decided to try to clean install the game, deleting the setting and config files as well as the entire directory for the game. I re-downloaded the game from this thread and re-ran it. I closed out of the game and the error repeated. I even tried running in Windows Vista, Windows Vista SP1, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, and Windows 8 compatibility modes (couldn't try Windows 98 or Windows XP because Windows 10 doesn't provide compatibility support for those OSs); and turning off my virus scan. Same error. This leads me to believe, correct me if you are actually using Windows 10, that Windows 10 is somehow not compatible with your game even with the compatibility provision for a previous OS in place. I guess I'll have to record it on another laptop or use a virtual environment like Oracle VM Box.

Question, can your game run on Windows XP? My system cant exactly run anything newer than Windows XP in VirtualBox without it starting to try to crash, the system requirements are lower, so if it's possible I can do a recording by recording VirtualBox itself running Windows XP running your game. That should work around the issue. The other laptop is my father's, he agreed to the test. Not to using it for YouTube.

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 12-03-2017

See if that exe works for you: https://ufile.io/93cgg
Just replace the one in game's directory. I downgraded Ruby version to the one from before last update.

RE: Mariovania - Chafe_Chaotic_Gaming - 12-03-2017

Same error occurs... also I tried it on Windows XP on VirtualBox, Rubyw.exe freaks out before it even loads.

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 12-04-2017

For some reason, I can't downgrade any further ;_;
The creator of library doesn't now himself what causes the issue, because the bug is something new and probably related to Windows. He advised to try adding some logging to garbage collector and disable sound to rule out OpenAL problems.
So here's the new exe: https://ufile.io/wmoz5
Also copy this file to data/scripts to disable sound: https://ufile.io/ff4l0

The exe also includes never version of SDL. I added forced GC call on the end and if succeeds, a file named SUCCESS should appear. Hard to do anything if I can't reproduce the issue myself :/

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 02-13-2018

So, update. 1.2.9
-some new graphics
-changed default gamepad controls: run and switch were swapped (RT/LT now), same with magic and weapon (X/B now)
-improved loading: longer loading screen, less in-game delays
-some stomping improvements (Novice Ninji are now reliable to stomp)

I think it is time for me to share some plans regarding this game. Some time ago, I realized that it's a fully-fleshed metroidvania and I could've released it on Steam, if it wasn't Mario game. So I had an idea to remake the story and graphics to de-Mario-ize the game. Also, I'd put some bonus features, like new game plus with some twists or Steam integration (achievements, leaderboards for boss rush etc.). I won't be doing it alone, there's a person who agreed to help me on this. We had a talk yesterday, and we realized that this game is almost a Castlevania rip-off anyways, so it has to be more unique to be released (probably). So, I'm going to remake the game completely, using Godot Engine, which will allow me to release the game on Switch too. I don't have any further details, nor estimates when something will happen on this matter. I'll let you know though.

As for original game, it will still receive some important bug fixing updates, and graphics from bigpotato if he ever makes more. For now, I made a full map of the game (which is supposed to help us design the remake):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3g6myd72qfpgmx2/Mariovania.png
http://www.mediafire.com/file/sna7uczp25hesp1/DMariovania.png
(spoilers btw)

RE: Mariovania - Lithering - 02-19-2018

Hey dude, I've been playing your game these last couple of days and I love it. I encountered a mayor bug, however. When I enter the Goombafalloon boss room, if I jump on a platform, shoot, or do anything that isn't walking, the game crashes. With this bug, I can't fight the boss.
Crash log: wrong number of arguments (given 4, expected 3)
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/enemies.rb:3021:in `stomp'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:548:in `block in stomp'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:548:in `each'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:548:in `stomp'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/player.rb:160:in `block in update'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/player.rb:159:in `times'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/player.rb:159:in `update'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:122:in `block in update'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:122:in `each'
D:/Juegos PC/Mariovania/Mariovania/data/scripts/game.rb:122:in `update'
C:/Users/Camilo/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr7723.tmp/src/mariovania.rb:78:in `update'
C:/Users/Camilo/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr7723.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/gosu-0.13.1-x86-mingw32/lib/gosu/patches.rb:61:in `tick'
C:/Users/Camilo/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr7723.tmp/lib/ruby/gems/2.4.0/gems/gosu-0.13.1-x86-mingw32/lib/gosu/patches.rb:61:in `tick'
C:/Users/Camilo/AppData/Local/Temp/ocr7723.tmp/src/mariovania.rb:158:in `<main>'

Hope you can solve it soon.

EDIT: I have the latest version, 1.2.9
EDIT2: Same happens with the Corridors of Infinity boss.

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 02-20-2018

(02-19-2018, 02:36 PM)Lithering Wrote: Hope you can solve it soon.
https://ufile.io/7g60l
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just unzip it into the game directory and replace files.

RE: Mariovania - Lithering - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 02:11 PM)KoBeWi Wrote:
(02-19-2018, 02:36 PM)Lithering Wrote: Hope you can solve it soon.
https://ufile.io/7g60l
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just unzip it into the game directory and replace files.

Worked great! Thank you.

EDIT: How do I access the Forbidden Cave Area? I'm stuck. Great game by the way.

RE: Mariovania - KoBeWi - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 05:29 PM)Lithering Wrote: How do I access the Forbidden Cave Area? I'm stuck.
You need Castle Map 4, which will magically open a new passage (lel). Hints on how to get it are provided by one of the guide blocks, blocked by yellow switch.
(02-20-2018, 05:29 PM)Lithering Wrote: Great game by the way.
Thanks!

RE: Mariovania - Lithering - 02-20-2018

Thanks!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.