MFGG Forums
My friend needs help (again) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: My friend needs help (again) (/showthread.php?tid=1703)

My friend needs help (again) - Mariofan230 - 03-17-2019

So my friend (which was previously from My friend needs help) wanted to make an idea for the hello engine, but yet, the replier disagrees. So this is what my friend says about this:

I tried to ask Hello on Twitter about what he would think of porting Hello Mario Engine to an open-source engine like Godot if I voluneered to make original graphics for it. The benefits of this would be twofold:
1. It would make newbies more able to use HME without paying $100 for Game Maker Studio, because if you are a newbie and want to use HME then why would you pay $100 to use it and Hello doesn't even get a cut.
2. Changing the graphics would make it able to get more publicity such as being showcased on the Godot website without fear of legal issues. And for MFGG purposes the assets can be changed back anyways.
Edit (My friend says this as well):
I don't have an idea in mind for a game. All I want is for Hello to port his engine to a free/open source game maker so that more people will want to use it as you can see they used to on MFGG and the YoYoGames Sandbox. I think that would lead to more fangame creations with a free, easy to use engine. The fact that I am volunteering to replace the graphics shows that it's not for me, because why would they use those graphics? It's just to make Hello Engine more popular if he ports it to Godot and allow more people to make fangames. And also I suggested Hello to port it instead of me because he is a better programmer and I don't need to work on it because like I said it is for OTHER people to use so I don't need any input. I was trying to be helpful to him by volunteering to replace the graphics so it got more publicity without legal problems.

The reason my friend is asking for help is because Hello doesn't seem to be convinced this is a good idea, but both of us think it would be exciting for the fangame community. So what do you guys think? If you think this is a good idea, he hopes it can change Hello's mind. So if you agree, what is my friend going to do? Thinking

RE: My friend needs help (again) - YoshisIsland3 - 03-18-2019

Then unfortunately, your "friend" should learn that if someone won't make the engine, they'll just have to do it themselves.

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Mariofan230 - 03-20-2019

(03-18-2019, 01:45 AM)YoshisIsland3 Wrote: Then unfortunately, your "friend" should learn that if someone won't make the engine, they'll just have to do it themselves.

You might know how my friend is. So I'm not 100% sure if he will understand quickly, so if he does not, then we'll have to turn this operation into two. I'll see what I can do. Wink

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Vitiman - 03-20-2019

Hello! I see you're interested in porting an engine from one programming language to another! Thankfully, there are many simple™ and quick™ solutions to this problem! Please, join me as I elaborate on what I mean specifically:
  • Engines Are Hard, But We Are Harder - If you'll stifle your giggling for a moment, what this basically means is that the raw power that we possess within ourselves is far greater than any one engine could ever have. Try making your own engine from scratch and see where that takes you first! You never know, you might just create something so impossibly great that you'll have people groveling at your feet to port your engine to some other programming language.
  • Invent A New, Free Version of Game Maker -  This one's far more challenging, but as long as we're thinking up pointless things, I may as well elaborate. Just make your own, better version of Game Maker for free! You could even give it a catchy name like "Good, Optimized Dimensional Operator Thing", or "GODOT" for short. I would recommend getting rid of all the fluff that Game Maker arbitrarily has, like drag 'n' drop and rooms and basic code structure. Nobody needs this, especially not a young, budding programming power house such as yourself.
  • Wear New Clothes - Stop wearing the same old clothes. Nobody likes old clothes. Make your own clothes. Be your own man, Jimmy.
  • Learn GODOT Yourself & Use One Of The Thousands Of Resources Available For It To Make Your Own Game
So as you can see, Johnny, there are many routes you can take to solving this complex issue. We here at Michael's Farm for Giant Giraffes wish you the best of luck in working towards fixing whatever problems you may be having with Hello's Super Mario Engine! Agree

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Mariofan230 - 03-20-2019

(03-20-2019, 11:16 PM)Vitiman Wrote: Hello! I see you're interested in porting an engine from one programming language to another! Thankfully, there are many simple™ and quick™ solutions to this problem! Please, join me as I elaborate on what I mean specifically:
  • Engines Are Hard, But We Are Harder - If you'll stifle your giggling for a moment, what this basically means is that the raw power that we possess within ourselves is far greater than any one engine could ever have. Try making your own engine from scratch and see where that takes you first! You never know, you might just create something so impossibly great that you'll have people groveling at your feet to port your engine to some other programming language.
  • Invent A New, Free Version of Game Maker -  This one's far more challenging, but as long as we're thinking up pointless things, I may as well elaborate. Just make your own, better version of Game Maker for free! You could even give it a catchy name like "Good, Optimized Dimensional Operator Thing", or "GODOT" for short. I would recommend getting rid of all the fluff that Game Maker arbitrarily has, like drag 'n' drop and rooms and basic code structure. Nobody needs this, especially not a young, budding programming power house such as yourself.
  • Wear New Clothes - Stop wearing the same old clothes. Nobody likes old clothes. Make your own clothes. Be your own man, Jimmy.
  • Learn GODOT Yourself & Use One Of The Thousands Of Resources Available For It To Make Your Own Game
So as you can see, Johnny, there are many routes you can take to solving this complex issue. We here at Michael's Farm for Giant Giraffes wish you the best of luck in working towards fixing whatever problems you may be having with Hello's Super Mario Engine! Agree

We appreciate your help but is that really it? I'm surprised. This time he might or might not be convinced to tell hello.
By the way Fanofsmbx would like to be interested in doing it. So I just made the topic for him.
@FanofSMBX, say hello to Vitiman! Big Grin (If your viewing this thread) If never then you may have to send him a message on the main site instead.

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Thunderbro - 03-20-2019

Unfortunately to port the engine to Godot, it would basically need to be rewritten from scratch. Godot uses completely different programming languages from Game Maker so there really is no easy way to just "port" the engine to another platform. It's difficult, but he could try his hand at trying to make his own engine in Godot, or just bite the bullet and purchase Game Maker Studio.

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Mariofan230 - 03-31-2019

(03-20-2019, 11:48 PM)Thunderbro Wrote: Unfortunately to port the engine to Godot, it would basically need to be rewritten from scratch. Godot uses completely different programming languages from Game Maker so there really is no easy way to just "port" the engine to another platform. It's difficult, but he could try his hand at trying to make his own engine in Godot, or just bite the bullet and purchase Game Maker Studio.
Would it be that risky to bite the bullet? Confused

RE: My friend needs help (again) - Clobbah - 04-03-2019

Using premade Mario engines is pretty frowned upon. Your friend should make his own gameplay.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.