MFGG Forums
Scratch's "Remix" Feature and Add Yourselfs - Internet History Lesson - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Scratch's "Remix" Feature and Add Yourselfs - Internet History Lesson (/showthread.php?tid=1707)

Scratch's "Remix" Feature and Add Yourselfs - Internet History Lesson - SonicKade2048 - 03-23-2019

Hi there! I'm KirbyLover2048, but please, call me Kirb. I'm here to present to you a new MFGG forum thread series that I call...

[Image: internet_history_lesson.png]

INTERNET HISTORY LESSON!
What is it, you may ask? In Internet History Lesson, I delve into sites you may or may not remember and bring out fun little details and tidbits I've discovered during my time on this... well, "wonderful" place we call the Internet. Ranging from websites I've been on for so long to other sites I may have recently discovered myself, this thread series will take you on a journey you've never experienced. Come on, let's go already!

Our first stop is Scratch, a fun and family-friendly site that has plenty of creative kids and people new and old to this day. One of the abilities a Scratch project has is the "Remix" feature, which allows a user to copy/remix someone else's project into their own "My Stuff" site folder. With this, people were able to do this such as "Add Yourself" projects as they were called. These have been around for as long as I can remember, way back to 2011, and maybe even before I joined. Nevertheless, let's take a look at one of these types of projects.

Add yourself running from King Bill! by Broguy
[Image: unknown.png]

Now, at first, it seems very empty. Only music and a few "sprites" as they were called are on-screen. However, many people Remixed this project and added their own characters to it, as that is the point of Add Yourself projects! You just put yourself into the mix! Simple, yet intriguing.

There's also other ways people have used this remix feature on projects people made. From swapping music to recoloring graphics, there's plenty of different combinations and styles people have added to projects to differentiate them from the originals. Let's look at a remix on this same project where King Bill has been changed into a Kirby!

[Image: unknown.png]

The only main difference seen is that the King Bill has been swapped out for an animated GIF of a walking/running Kirby. Nevertheless, this is fine, as not every change needs to be major in some way. Some remixes (such as Add Yourself remixes) really only have character additions, nothing more. For some people, it's smaller details that give a bigger impact than larger details.

That's all I have for now. See you next time, and I hope you enjoyed this Internet History Lesson!

RE: Scratch's "Remix" Feature and Add Yourselfs - Internet History Lesson - Daisy - 03-23-2019

Interesting.

RE: Scratch's "Remix" Feature and Add Yourselfs - Internet History Lesson - AquaTheYoshi - 03-23-2019

Noice, I'd be interested to see more of this.
I used to be a scratcher myself for 5 years! Until early 2017 where i got banned for Discord links. The site is awesome but man are the rules strict...

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.