MFGG Forums
I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... (/showthread.php?tid=1711)

I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 03-28-2019

...I actually feel bothered by the negative reception surrounding this game.

To the point where I actually feel uneasy talking about it.

Now, that's not to say I believe these people or anything, but the truth is, it's been making my brain feel like it's just as bad as they claim it to be, even though my heart would say otherwise.

Now, please keep in mind that this game was developed by TOSE, so hopefully that can get some confusion out of the way just in case you were unsure who made it, etc.

Here's some of my main concerns for this game from those people so far. Note that these are in spoilers specifically because they link to content as a whole that may be inappropriate for some viewers.
Now, I really do think the game itself is very well designed for an outsourcer, because I really do believe that they wouldn't have been able to create an incredible Princess Peach game even if they wanted to and/or willing to, and besides, this would be because outsourcers are for big-name companies to safely test their ideas, etc. and so you can't really expect them to be professional. But again, I could really use some help knowing the truth surrounding this controversy so I can be set straight here. Thanks again anyway. Sorry if I came off as just spouting out, but again, I really do need help here, honestly.

Thanks for the info, I really do hope you can set me straight here. Smile

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - VinnyVideo - 03-28-2019

It's been a while since I've played SPP, but I found it to be an enjoyable experience. It has some innovative mechanics and a cute graphical style. It was also nice to see Peach finally get a starring role. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I liked it.

There's always going to be some edgy troll reviews out there. Unfortunately, 0.5/5 "THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER" rants get more clicks than 3.5/5 "this game does some things well but has room for improvement" reviews. You can't make everyone happy - especially on the Internet.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-28-2019

I think the game is fine. I don't think it's amazing, but it's fun to play through and I like the boss battles. I agree with a lot of the criticism from RelaxAlax after watching that video, but his gripes with the game didn't bother me as much as they did him. I avoid sites like IGN and GameFAQs because I usually don't like their reviews. It's definitely not an unplayable game by any means, but it doesn't quite reach that level of quality you'd expect from a game featuring one of Nintendo's most iconic characters.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 03-28-2019

I have, however, thought about making an iPhone (iOS) / Android / Smartphone port of the game itself, and - this was one of my key points - implementing scenery to allow the level design to "change" to feel like it makes a bit, if not a lot, more sense, while not actually changing any of the level design at all. Therefore, new players playing the game will probably see the level design a bit more differently and positively, while veteran players will appreciate the fact that the game's level design even makes any sense at all.

In fact, coming from that, I think the least they could've done with the less-than-professional level design is implement that scenery into the game's levels itself to allow the levels to make a bit more sense.

But there is another thing that bothers me. Back in all those months ago, I actually had trouble on the 3rd Boss minigame of the game to the point where I actually considered quitting, because I couldn't figure it out and felt like it had not taught me how to learn it and even if I did (I did), I would be like "how was I supposed to learn that?".
Was that actually the case? Thanks. I just need to know.

Also, thanks for the replies so far, you really did make me feel better.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Thunderbro - 03-28-2019

I actually haven't really looked at any reviews of the game or heard many others opinions on it, but I just remember it being a fun game. If you thought it was a fun game, don't let others opinions sway you, there is no right or wrong opinion, you enjoy it or you don't, others opinions shouldn't matter too much I feel.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 03-28-2019

There is another point. I usually measure games by their objective quality by telling how the mechanics work and would be to an "average" player, for example, assuming those who actually enjoy good content and are not actually fine or even go as far as liking bad content.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 03-29-2019

I didn't play that much Super Princess Peach, But it's not bad it's not great, Just okay

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 03-29-2019

Also, I actually have a theory (or at least a sneaking feeling) that Nintendo actually LISTENED to that negative smut, among other stereotypical negative things about the game, which is in fact actually what I suspect is the reason Nintendo has basically stopped innovating in general completely. In other words, basically ended up sticking to concepts that have always worked and basically refuses to ever innovate with any (much at best) more, and for those that do, do very little if much at all just to "play it safe". Though I could be wrong and this could probably just ultimately all be my opinion.

Though I still actually have a sneaking suspicion that this would actually be the objective case. JSYK right off the bat right now; I will say that right now.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Evil Yoshi Toes - 03-29-2019

I don't think Nintendo has stopped innovating. Mario Odyssey, for example, was very innovative. Some franchises were arguably killed due to too much innovation (well, too much bad innovation), like Mario Party and Paper Mario. From what I've seen Super Princess Peach wasn't that badly received anyway, it just wasn't considered phenomenal and a lot of people just didn't know about it.

At any rate, if you enjoy a game don't let other people's opinions of it ruin that enjoyment. Just have fun with it, because that's what games are meant for. This is coming from someone who thoroughly enjoys a game of Shrek Super Slam.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 03-29-2019

(And I will admit, I have to de-rail here for a moment.) Concerning Super Mario Odyssey, From what I've seen from YTSunny's playthrough of the game, I personally objectively feel that the Capture system was heavily underutilized even then. You don't really get to do that much creative with the Captures you can pull even then, and it doesn't really encourage exploration of much kind except to progress in the game itself.

In fact, if it weren't specifically for the fact that I actually legitimately want to rate this game but can't really because I haven't actually played it / tried it out myself yet, I would've shown absolutely zero interest in the game itself. It just doesn't really do much with what was actually innovative implemented into the game itself.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 04-05-2019

Now, although I've finally been set straight on that particular subject here, the original GameFAQs reviewer who gave SPP 0.5 mentioned that "if you've seen a trend with your favorite companies [like Nintendo, Square Enix, and Capcom] cutting more and more corners, odds are that they've solicited with TOSE's services at some point". Although I certainly now do believe that particular review to probably be a troll, I still do wonder about that statement, and how just in general it came about to be in the first place, not specifically for that particular reason the reviewer mentioned really.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Merit Celaire - 04-10-2019

I still have the Super Princess Peach game to this day and it's not just because I am a dedicated fan of Princess Peach herself. I liked that game itself too and the art style was just themed around Princess Peach as well, so that was an automatic win for me.

Speaking of which, I'm still trying to get back in my fangame development groove - one of these days after I make progress on setting the main "foundation" of this project I've been working on (it was in conception for years now), I need to see about getting back to that one that I was working on... the gameplay is actually "different", but kept some elements of the Super Princess Peach spirit alive. Fingers crossed!

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Princess Peach - 05-15-2019

This may come off as a bit of another derail, and I have decided to revive this thread for a moment, but I need something else answered that's been bothering me for a long time.

I've actually heard a lot of people rant about how the New Super Mario Bros. sub-series just came to show that Nintendo were and still is unwilling to innovate in their 2d Mario space, among other rants loosely like that, and I even went as far as watching another YouTuber's playthrough through several of Nintendo's Mario Maker levels entered into a contest back in 2016, with him complaining on how badly designed they were. (You can take all I'm saying right now with a grain of salt.) What I mean is is that the user who made the 0.5 review I've mentioned in the OP actually mentioned or at least stated how big-name companies like Nintendo and Capcom will often use TOSE as an outsourcer to design poorly-done games for them all while agreeing not to take credit for any of it. Concerning other users' posts on the thread so far, this would be, or at least I would assume this to be, false, and if anything like how "Nintendo and Capcom and other such companies have been cutting more and more corners lately" (and again that's ignoring the fact because of TOSE and TOSE alone) were true, there has to be another reason for that. If so, what would be the reason for all that? If not, what else can be explained? I'll certainly get the thread back on track after this, and I was just wondering about all this, since I'm sure others like me have wondered and may have even complained about the same things, and I just need to know.

Mod notice: If you feel like this needs to be in its own thread, I will gladly make it for so. Thanks anyway.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - GothGirlGangBlasterMaster - 05-15-2019

i've never heard of tose so i looked them up in response to this thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tose_(company)
their body of work is over 30 years with zero ambition or impact. now, to be fair, i haven't played most of the games on this list but i've played a few and they've all been completely lifeless and dull. not bad, necessarily, but not memorable or engaging at all. most of them are based on existing properties: lightning returns, crash: mind over mutant, resident evil mercenaries 3d, etc. not awful games by any stretch, but i certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone. it's like the video game equivalent of star wars lettuce: they know it's shittier than the competition, but the brand will make people buy it anyway.

more interesting than their consistent ability to fail was the little blurb at the top there. "Our policy is not to have a vision. Instead, we follow our customers' visions. Most of the time we refuse to put our name on the games, not even staff names." they outright admit they have no vision, and it seems like they have zero pride in the work they do, considering they don't even want to appear in the credits. normally i would defend middle of the road developers for finding a way to survive, but it seems like these guys are less of a game studio and more of a game assembly line. they'll put something out, and it'll work, but there's no human touch. their work is the definition of serviceable.

anyway i know no one is going to read all that so i'm going to sum it up by saying super princess peach is really boring and i'm not surprised they never did another.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - Clobbah - 08-21-2019

Not my cup of tea at all. I was cool that Peach got her own game and the graphics look good, but otherwise it looks boring. I’m with Blaster on this.

RE: I love the game Super Princess Peach, but I will finally admit this... - GeneralGuy - 08-26-2019

Super Princess Peach is actually one of my favorite 2D Mario platformers of all time. The colorful and expressive sprites, breezy music and unique gameplay mechanics are all pretty awesome.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.