MFGG Forums
Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game (/showthread.php?tid=1761)

Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Cdiplayer - 05-08-2019

Hey everyone, I don’t know if anyone here still remembers me, I was a member waaay back in the days before the MFGG Minus World split. Anyway, I’m going to college for computer science at the moment and I’d love to do a fan game project to improve my programming skills. I plan on using Unreal 4 and I’d like to make a game similar to Super Mario Kart on the SNES. For the most part all I need are sprite artists, and perhaps someone to help me plot out course design. I would also love to hear suggestions on characters and courses. Most of my experience is with the Wario Land series, but I’d like to include some Warioware characters as well. So far I’ve got 16 playable characters planned, although the initial build of the game is only going to have 8 for the sake of simplicity. Here’s a list so far
Wario
Waluigi
Boshi
Captain Syrup
Rudy
Count Cannoli
Carpaccio
Terrormisu
Black Jewel
Shake King
Merfle
Queen Merelda
Princess Shokora
Arewo Shitain hakase
Golden Diva
Foreman Spike

I’ve tried to represent every Wario game (outside of Warioware). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a decent character to add from Virtual Boy Wario Land, but I plan
on representing that game through a course. I’d also like to point out that while I’m aware that Boshi and Foreman Spike are not technically Wario characters, I think they fit the theme well enough to be included.
I’ll be setting up a Discord for the team and I will be working on the game full time on weekends, and whenever I get free time during the week. (I have classes 4 days a week for 4 hours a day).
PM me if you’re interested

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-08-2019

Oh, how about some enemies and bosses from the wario land games as unlockable characters? 

Here are my suggestions: 
Hammer-bot 
Donutteer 
Appleby 
Pirate Goom 
Shoot 
Zenisuki 
Hinyari 
Zombie

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Cdiplayer - 05-08-2019

(05-08-2019, 04:54 PM)Honey Saucer Gengar Wrote: Oh, how about some enemies and bosses from the wario land games as unlockable characters? 

Here are my suggestions: 
Hammer-bot 
Donutteer 
Appleby 
Pirate Goom 
Shoot 
Zenisuki 
Hinyari 
Zombie

Good suggestions. At some point I will also probably hold a poll on who should represent Wario's Woods as a playable character in the game. I may end up just putting Toad in the game.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - HylianDev - 05-08-2019

hey, nice to have you back. this is a really cool fangame idea!

there's been one other 3D mario kart fangame here that I know of -- [url=https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=31532]Mario Kart: Speed Strife[/url] by DJ Coco -- and it was pretty darn good. but there's always room for more, especially one that seeks to do something at least a little different. (I think MKSS was made in game maker studio? surely using unreal will be way easier on you for this haha)

can't wait to see where this project goes

(05-08-2019, 05:23 PM)HylianDev Wrote: hey, nice to have you back. this is a really cool fangame idea!

there's been one other 3D mario kart fangame here that I know of -- [url=https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=31532]Mario Kart: Speed Strife[/url] by DJ Coco -- and it was pretty darn good. but there's always room for more, especially one that seeks to do something at least a little different. (I think MKSS was made in game maker studio? surely using unreal will be way easier on you for this haha)

can't wait to see where this project goes

Interesting, I was initially planning on making this a 2d, Super Mario Kart type game, just because I imagine there are a lot more sprite artists around than there are 3d modelers. As someone who has worked on actual commercial video game projects before this has been my experience. That being said, if anyone on here is a 3d modeler and they're interested in this project, I could easily make it a 3d game.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - HylianDev - 05-08-2019

though it's going to use sprites, it's still going to be effectively 3D right? the way SMK was?

(05-08-2019, 05:51 PM)HylianDev Wrote: though it's going to use sprites, it's still going to be effectively 3D right? the way SMK was?

Yeah. The tracks themselves will be 3d.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - VinnyVideo - 05-08-2019

Oh yeah, there's a name I haven't seen in a while! A Wario-themed Mario Kart game sounds like a very cool idea.

I'm not too good at making graphics, so I probably can't help in that department, but I'll be cheering you on! And I'm always happy to test things if you'd like.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Roo - 05-10-2019

You should have Bomberman as a secret character.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Clobbah - 05-10-2019

(05-08-2019, 04:14 PM)Cdiplayer Wrote: I’ve tried to represent every Wario game (outside of Warioware). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a decent character to add from Virtual Boy Wario Land, but I plan
on representing that game through a course.

Why not Demon Head? He is the final boss, so it could work.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Cdiplayer - 05-11-2019

(05-10-2019, 12:32 PM)Roo Wrote: You should have Bomberman as a secret character.

Noted, definitely gonna add Bomberman to the roster.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-11-2019

How about Mario?

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Cdiplayer - 05-13-2019

(05-10-2019, 08:46 PM)RevampedSpider Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 04:14 PM)Cdiplayer Wrote: I’ve tried to represent every Wario game (outside of Warioware). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a decent character to add from Virtual Boy Wario Land, but I plan
on representing that game through a course.

Why not Demon Head? He is the final boss, so it could work. 

I guess Demon Head is probably the best option, seeing as I already have all the other Wario Land final bosses planned anyway.

RE: Programmer looking for help on a Wario Kart game - Cdiplayer - 05-18-2019

So, is anyone interested in working with me to do some sprite art for this game? I'm willing to do all the coding, but I need someone who can imitate the Super Mario Kart style to do the art if this is ever going to get off the ground.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.