MFGG Forums
Has it aged well or not? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Palace for Posting with No Point (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Has it aged well or not? (/showthread.php?tid=1764)

Has it aged well or not? - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-13-2019

Rules of the game: 
You have to come up with a video game that has aged well or poorly. 
The next person must identify if the game has aged well or not. 
Then they have to come up with a game that has aged well or not. 
The cycle repeats 

I'll start: Super Smash Bros Melee

RE: Has it aged well or not? - SonicKade2048 - 05-13-2019

I think it has; seeing how it's a Super Smash Bros. game in the first place already brings some attention, and with mods coming out for itself and other games of the series, I think Smash as a whole has aged greatly.

As for Melee on its own, I think it's pretty decent. I'm upset that Kirby has to be bottom tier despite his neat moveset, but maybe that's just my Kirby-loving side that makes me want to defend him for no reason. Either way, the gameplay is fun, the physics are good, I think it's done pretty neat overall for an old-ish game like itself. Melee is a good game to play when you need a break from higher-leveled Smash (that's just from my perspective), so give it a try whenever you can.

TL;DR: Melee is great despite some nitpicks I and others may have, but it's got that right balance between fun and competition (which can probably be said for Brawl too, imo). I think it's aged well.

RE: Has it aged well or not? - HylianDev - 05-13-2019

I think you forgot to present a new game for us to discuss, buddy

I'll go: Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario USA

RE: Has it aged well or not? - SilverVortex - 05-14-2019

smb2 has aged well. with an asterix. the backgrounds are nonexistent, the controls are iffy, to say the least, and if you don't pick peach, you're screwed. but other than that, it's a fun game with unique mechanics that always make it a nice romp through every now and then.

next game: donkey kong 64.

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 05-14-2019

Donkey Kong 64 is made by Rareware, The guys behind Banjo Kazooie, Honestly, The game has aged pretty okay

Not everything about it is great, But the graphics are good for N64, If it was brought to Xbox, it would've looked better

Next Game: Mario Kart DS

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-14-2019

Mario Kart DS is one of if not, the best mario kart game ever. 
It has aged well. 

Next Game: Mario Golf 64

RE: Has it aged well or not? - HylianDev - 05-14-2019

mario golf 64 has aged a lot better than I thought it would! and that soundtrack, oh boy.

super mario galaxy

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-14-2019

I think it has aged well. The gameplay is pretty crisp and visually it still looks quite nice. I will say, though, that its sequel one upped it in almost every way besides storyline and hub world. It's still fun to play though.

Yoshi's Island

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 05-15-2019

It has aged well, The graphics still remain cute and amazing to this day, Gameplay is still good

Next game: Toontown Online

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Honey Saucer Gengar - 05-19-2019

Toontown Online got shut down a few years ago and has now been overshadowed by Club Penguin Rewritten. 

Toontown has aged poorly. 

Next game: Super Mario World

RE: Has it aged well or not? - SonicKade2048 - 05-20-2019

Super Mario World, you say? Jeez, where do I start?

GAMEPLAY
Super Mario World's engine is slippery at times, but it's forgiven for the great amount of things that can be done with it. Glitches and all, the engine has perfect physics for Mario, enemies, and more. Jumping isn't too heavy, but isn't too floaty, either; running speed/P-Speed is great enough for jumping over gaps and enemies; all-in-all I love how the engine turned out.

DESIGN
With so many enemies that come in all shapes and sizes, even replacing Goombas with Galoombas, I think their sprites led in a good direction for Mario developers to continue the work on how the enemies look. Some may seem slightly off due to technical limitations, but despite this I enjoyed how the enemies looked. As for other characters, Bowser's design is as interesting as it comes; his sprites look nice (even with the limitations, again, and half of his body hiding in the clown car), though I find it a bit difficult to tell where his eyes are on the normal sprites. Peach, though, looks a bit strange for her SMW design, such as the waist and shoulders. Her clown car/captured sprites give off nice expressions, though, such as the hand waving.

As for Mario and the rest of the graphics, they're pretty appealing. Mario may be limited as well, some of his sprites having to extend outside the 16x32 size, but I like his color choice (even if it's a bit more pink than normal, imo) and facial expressions (especially the castle explosion one!). The tiles themselves are in good detail, some of which needing a bit more work, but I can't express enough how much I adore the design of SMW as a whole. There's a few errors here and there, but altogether I love it.

DEVELOPMENT
Looking back at the past, now in the present, and maybe further into the future, Super Mario World has made a lot, and I mean a LOT of people happy. From ROM hacks to speedruns, SMW gained so much traction in the Mario fanbase that it took off like a rocket. If I didn't make it clear already, SMW is a really nice game and I'd like to see where people can take it next. It has a ton of potential for people all across the globe, and with what I've already stated (even if it's just my own perspective/opinion), it's makes people have a heart for the Mario series and its roots.

I probably have more to say about the game, but this is all I'd like to express for now. SMW has aged immensely in good detail, and I think anyone who hasn't seen/played it should give it a shot. It may be your next favorite game of all time.

For the next game, I choose Sonic Advance 3, or at least the Sonic Advance trilogy (Sonic Battle included optionally).

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 05-21-2019

Honestly, It did not age super well, unlike super mario world

The gameplay plays a mix of sonic classic games and modern with the addition of pairing from sonic 2

Graphics are decent, not the best on the GBA

Sonic advance has aged pretty mediocrely

Next Game: look at my sig 
|
|
V

RE: Has it aged well or not? - CaptainDrewBoy - 06-21-2019

The game is very fun!
The platforming is bliss, but some design decisions are a little confusing...

It has aged decently.

Next game: Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels / Super Mario Bros. 2

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 06-22-2019

It aged meh, It's just Super Mario Bros 1 but with different levels

Next Game: Calling All Mixels

RE: Has it aged well or not? - strabiri - 06-24-2019

never played it so imma say it aged poorly

next game: luigi's mansion

RE: Has it aged well or not? - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 06-24-2019

(06-24-2019, 12:42 AM)ultragreenmario Wrote: never played it so imma say it aged poorly

next game: luigi's mansion

why are you saying it aged poorly if you never played it?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.