MFGG Forums
A question about the NES color palette - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Arts Board (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A question about the NES color palette (/showthread.php?tid=1770)

A question about the NES color palette - Mariofan230 - 05-20-2019

So one time a user (And another user which is sure the brighter one is correct) on the main site asked if i intended to use the wrong colors of the SMB1 style in the SMM sheets  or did awesomezack use wrong colors, and I wondered which color exactly was the right one. Sometimes users use the darker and sometimes users use the brighter version of the palette. Have I been using the right one? Alongside that the darker palette is my prediction. Feel free to post your answers to this question, or vote in the answer you think is correct. Here is a preview of the NES colors in question.

1, the darker palette. 2, the brighter palette.

RE: A question about the NES color palette - SonicKade2048 - 05-21-2019

To be blunt with you, people are just picky and/or disagreeing for no reason. Last I checked there's no "set" color choice/palette for consoles like the NES, and they can come in different variants all they like. People may say "you used the wrong colors", but in my opinion their words shouldn't bother you. It doesn't matter (to me, at least) which colors need to be which color code/choice. I think they work fine whichever way people choose.

RE: A question about the NES color palette - Vitiman - 05-21-2019

KL is partially correct in that there isn't a proper definitive palette for the NES, apart from the set colours it very much does have. What I'm getting at is that there exist many "variants" of the palette because the NES doesn't store the exact RGB information for the colours - instead letting old analog CRT televisions decipher what colours to show.

With that said, there are a few "official" colour palettes to choose from, drawn from sources where exact RGB information is presented (primarily, via emulation efforts from Nintendo themselves), many of which are available (along with some unofficial interpretations of the NES's "palette" as seen through an older TV) here. Which one you choose is simply a matter of preference - the older vibrant palettes (such as those present in emulators such as Jnes or Nesticle) aren't much to my taste, but the 3DS's VC palette is quite a well done vibrant palette that I feel captures the NES in a more saturated tone while being quite tasteful about it.

RE: A question about the NES color palette - Render8 - 05-21-2019

I'm not an expert in this, but I personally feel the darker palette is more true to the actual nes and I also like it better. I guess growing up in the 80's/early 90's, that would seem more accurate to what my TV would put out and less vibrant like the brighter one.

RE: A question about the NES color palette - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-22-2019

I have no clue about the technicalities and I have never played on an actual NES, but the darker palette is way more appealing to my eyes.

RE: A question about the NES color palette - VinnyVideo - 05-23-2019

I generally don't mind bright colors, but the darker palette looks a lot closer to what you'd typically see on a real NES.

The blue on the right looks nice, but the red on the right is too saturated for my taste.

But yeah, there's nothing "right" or "wrong" about using a certain palette, and different games and styles might look better with one palette or another.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.