MFGG Forums
WIP Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: WIP Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite (/showthread.php?tid=1773)

Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - SonicKade2048 - 05-22-2019

Before I get into explaining this hack, I want to give a shoutout to @Damarioman for letting me use his redesigned SMB2 (USA) sprites for this project. At first I started editing a randomly picked Mario sheet to fit the SMW artstyle, but he allowed me/gave me permission to edit his sprites for this hack. Thanks again.

With that out of the way, I'd like to present a project that, while I only started it out of boredom and having nothing to do, may be something I can get done over the summer once I'm out of school. To start off, I was just messing around with Lunar Magic and a graphic-editing cool called YY-CHR, which are both incredible tools I've found so far for SMW hacking. After testing the graphic editing a bit, I wondered "hey, i might be able to make an actual hack with this", and here we are now.

This is still WAY early in development, and it's leaning a bit on the concept side of the development "spectrum", too, but who knows? Maybe I can actually get my first SMW hack done and share it with the world.

But anyway, I present...

[Image: kirbsmw_logo-shadow.png]

This hack will consist of slightly-to-majorly harder levels than before, even the introduction levels amping up the difficulty. Mario's sprites have been changed (again, as mentioned before), along with some others such as Power-Ups, enemies, and even Peach herself (I always disliked that blaring neon dress...)! Some graphics may be familiar, as they may be used from some MFGGers' sprite sheets, but don't worry, I WILL ask for permission for and/or give credit to whoever owns the sprites.

Here's some screenshots to get you started. Not much is shown except for Mario right now, but trust me, other graphics are currently edited as well.

[Image: kirbsmw_screenshot-pre_1.png] [Image: kirbsmw_screenshot-pre_2.png]
[Image: kirbsmw_screenshot-pre_3.png] [Image: kirbsmw_screenshot-pre_4.png]

Maybe in the (near) future I can have others help me out on this, but for now it's a one-man project. If you have any questions, feel free to reply below or send me a private message. Thanks for reading, and have a great day!
~K

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - SonicKade2048 - 05-24-2019

[Image: unknown.png]

Slight update since it's been a little while. I know Mario's head isn't edited yet, but things are still going along well... albeit slow. DMM let me know that his SMB2 Mario sheet has 16-bit versions now, but I'm fine with editing the NES-based sprites. I may use them for reference though, but thanks anyway.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Mors - 05-25-2019

I think it would probably be better to put that message to the intro of the game rather than an in-game message box.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Roo - 05-26-2019

Default SMW graphics look boring.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - SonicKade2048 - 06-12-2019

(05-25-2019, 05:58 PM)Mors Wrote: I think it would probably be better to put that message to the intro of the game rather than an in-game message box.

Already on it. Thanks for pointing that out for me. Thumbs Up

(05-26-2019, 09:20 AM)Roo Wrote: Default SMW graphics look boring.

I'll be editing the rest of the graphics after I finish Mario's sprites, but some like the Super/1-Up Mushroom and Fire Flower are already fixed. Smile

I still have a ton of other sprites for Mario I need to fix (due to my absence of progress on this), but hopefully I can get Mario complete asap so I can work on level design and other tile graphics.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-12-2019

Nice work Kirb, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - SonicKade2048 - 06-13-2019

(06-12-2019, 06:51 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: Nice work Kirb, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Well hey, I have more to show now! Most of the sprites may seem similar to one another (or lazily edited instead of being "dynamic", such as the skid for Mario not having his arms up), but I'm trying the best I can at this. But, anyway, here's more of Mario's new poses I've made.

Here they are as follows, from left to right: Victory, Crouch, Kick, Crouch Hold, P-Speed Jump, Back (for Spin Jump), P-Speed Run, and Skid

[Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png] [Image: unknown.png]

And, as a bonus, some Koopas from NO Body the Dragon's SMW graphics sheet!

More will be shown... well, whenever I get the next set done. I have a few of big/Super Mario sprites sprites done too, but I'll save those for next time. Wink

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-13-2019

Mario looks very cute! I like how he side-eyes the shell while crouching with it. And that koopa looks very fun too; NO Body always does great work.

RE: Kirb's SMW Hack | A Different Spin on an SNES Favorite - Damarioman - 06-13-2019

A lot of nice work! Good job!

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.