MFGG Forums
ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ShadowMan did a MFGG article (/showthread.php?tid=1778)

ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Q-Nova - 05-26-2019

I just discovered that ShadowMan did an article about the Waligie fangame series that he is known for, along with MFGG itself, titled as "The Mario Fangame Myth":

https://shadsy.itch.io/the-mario-fangame-myth

It's a rather long article and I've read only bits and pieces of it, but from what I've seen, it seems rather interesting and informative. It even has a link to a site that hosts downloads for the Waligie games: http://geoshities.com/dipstick/

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - VinnyVideo - 05-27-2019

I saw this a little while ago. It's definitely an interesting read.

I want to eat at the Sebastian Fuentes BBQ Experience, too.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Roo - 05-27-2019

That was a great read. I love reading stuff about the "early" days of the internet (especially stuff I can relate to, like MFGG and Clickteam products). Really makes me want to make a Good Ol' Mario Fangame. Maybe even a Waligie one. Maybe I should take the concept of President Evil and make it less awful bad horrible.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Q-Nova - 05-27-2019

I just read the whole thing, and it was worth it. It's very interesting to read about what MFGG is like back then in the 2000s. Smile

@Roo As someone who has been fascinated with old fangames recently, I'd love to see you do a game like one of those!

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Vitiman - 05-28-2019

I read this article when it came out, and it was absolutely one of the most compelling reads about this culture I've come across. A lot of stuff surrounding older forums and fangames and stuff is very mocking, but ShadowMan (being from this scene) put a very neutral narrative to the whole thing - acknowledging the faults of that kind of culture and how it can brew hostility, but also finding it nostalgic in a very weird way and how it was only ever intended to be silly, surreal fun.

Some of my favourite fangames are the more outwardly bizarre ones. Mario's Time Battle was a direct influence on a (fairly well regarded) fangame of my own, and I've been pushing for people to make more fangames like that... albeit, not a whole lot of people are rallying around to champion the development of "Luigi VS. The Cheese Monster"

Interestingly, I too have been wanting to make a throwback fangame for quite some time now. I've mapped out all kinds of concepts for one, how far of a throwback would it go, how polished it should be by modern standards, etc. I've never quite hit a point in my developments that got very far, but I'd love to come back to the general idea and make something out of it. I just always figured no one would actually want to play something like that these days - an extremely niche game in an already niche community, you know? Not that I've ever cared about appealing to the masses.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Evil Yoshi Toes - 05-28-2019

Cool find! I love looking back at the early MFGG fan games, even if I wasn't a member here at the time. It's a very strange period.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - DJ Yoshiman - 05-28-2019

(05-28-2019, 12:36 AM)Vitiman Wrote: Interestingly, I too have been wanting to make a throwback fangame for quite some time now. I've mapped out all kinds of concepts for one, how far of a throwback would it go, how polished it should be by modern standards, etc. I've never quite hit a point in my developments that got very far, but I'd love to come back to the general idea and make something out of it. I just always figured no one would actually want to play something like that these days - an extremely niche game in an already niche community, you know? Not that I've ever cared about appealing to the masses.
I think if you created something in the vein of my What is This Thing? series, that would work out well. I made it to tell a story with a bunch of nostalgia, and I apparently had a few oldbies emotional about it (I recall some one saying they were on the verge of tears), but more surprisingly, I had a bunch of people who had no idea about any of this stuff interested, too.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Flametale - 05-29-2019

What a fantastic retrospective. Truly captured the essence of this place, and what it was about. I very much enjoy reading these kinds of articles in relation to MFGG; they present unique perspectives on the experiences people took part in as part of this community. As it happens, I recently popped open the 10th anniversary time capsule again for a bit of nostalgia and teared up a little bit. Compounded on that was the fact that we're now closer to MFGG's 20th anniversary. It's wild just how much time has passed.

MFGG has a very unique legacy; many other sites out there die without so much as a screenshot of a comment to remember their existence by. And though this place has had its ups and downs over the years, I'm still very glad I registered all those years ago, and an article like this cements that for me.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - fireball3k - 06-26-2019

(05-28-2019, 12:36 AM)Vitiman Wrote: Interestingly, I too have been wanting to make a throwback fangame for quite some time now. 

likewise. i've never had the cojones to actually do it because i've been afraid of the inevitable "this game sucks" responses from people who don't know how it used to be back in the day, but still. i know i could do it if i put my mind to it

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - GeneralGuy - 06-30-2019

That was a phenomenally well written article by ShadowMan and a superb read. I feel it accurately recounts the old forum culture and various events of MFGG, while illustrating what we were about as a community. A very detailed and direct insight on early-to-mid 2000s internet culture in general as well. I highly recommend everyone viewing this thread give it a read if you haven't already. Great job ShadowMan.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Lee - 07-11-2019

A very good read, it did hit home how I just assumed the forum had kept up business as usual after I had to deal with other things.  It is funny to think about how very little of the sites userbase was over the age of like 16 at the time.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Flygon - 07-13-2019

I was introduced to this article, by chance, a while ago by a friend mentioning it on Twitter. I gave some thoughts on it myself on that platform, which can be read here.
Also a big reminder of how little of MFGG's deeper history was actually involved in, hahaha.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - Parakarry - 07-15-2019

This is some good shiz.
MFGG has done a lot of wonderful weird things.
And for anyone who doesn't know:  The brother that's mentioned a couple of times in the article?
That's me.

RE: ShadowMan did a MFGG article - GeneralGuy - 07-17-2019

So is it the PK Brothers or the Shadow Brothers?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.