MFGG Forums
MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest (/showthread.php?tid=1779)

Pages: 1 2 3

MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 05-27-2019

[Image: mta3logo.png]

EDIT 2: THE COMPILATION IS ALSO OUT!
EDIT: THE RESULTS ARE OUT!

Hello hello hello! Some of you wondering what this might be. Let me explain!

Mario Takes a Three (MTA3 for short) is a contest where you design your very own SMB3 level with the provided tools. These levels will later get rated by our judges and get compiled in a single fangame that will be uploaded to MFGG the main site.

For this contest, we are using an edited version of Gatete's Super Leaf Engine with a built-in level editor. That's right, you DON'T need any knowledge of Game Maker or any other game engine. Just read the included manual and fire up the editor to start designing your level.

You can also use custom tilesets and backgrounds in your levels to give them a unique look. These custom assets can be made by you, but they can also be taken from the MFGG main site (as long as proper credit is given).

This is not all, we are also adding some unique items and such to the engine. One of them being a brand new powerup!

[Image: unknown.png]

You can become Piranha Mario and shoot Ptooie balls to break brick blocks!

We are currently working on finalizing the rules for the competition, we will share them here once we are fully done though! As for the judges, the current list is Mors (hey that's me!), Cruise Elroy, Neweegee and Darkonius Mavakar, but we might get more judges before the event starts. 

And the date for MTA3 is...
[Image: date.png]

DOWNLOAD THE EDITOR FROM HERE!
Check the rules of the competition!

Join our Discord server to discuss the event with us!
Submit your level from here!

And yes, this event is being done as a collaboration between MFGG and Super Mario Flashback Discord Server.[/size]

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - SonicKade2048 - 05-27-2019

Y'know, with all the free time I have with working on my own projects (which I may take some time off of because I get bored easily or don't know how to continue them), and me being on Summer Break for school, this might be something I can try joining. One question, though: is Gatete's "Super Leaf Engine" its own .exe file, or is it something that we have to import to Game Maker? That might be the big determining factor for me to join or not (assuming Game Maker is free, which I still forget from time to time).

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 05-27-2019

(05-27-2019, 02:46 PM)SonicKade2048 Wrote: Y'know, with all the free time I have with working on my own projects (which I may take some time off of because I get bored easily or don't know how to continue them), and me being on Summer Break for school, this might be something I can try joining. One question, though: is Gatete's "Super Leaf Engine" its own .exe file, or is it something that we have to import to Game Maker? That might be the big determining factor for me to join or not (assuming Game Maker is free, which I still forget from time to time).

There will be a custom editor, no GameMaker needed.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Q-Nova - 05-29-2019

This sounds like it's going to be a fun competition! Level design competitions are something that I like to see more of in MFGG.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - SilverVortex - 05-30-2019

sounds fun. i never was the greatest level designer, but i'll take a shot in the dark with it lmao.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Syaxamaphone - 05-30-2019

You guys knew exactly what you were doing with that name lol

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - TawPawNaw - 05-31-2019

I will be disappointed if this new powerup doesn't make Mario take a p***.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 06-01-2019

THE MTA3 EDITOR IS OUT!!
[Image: cloudy.gif]

And the contest has officially started! Good luck!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - SonicKade2048 - 06-01-2019

@Mors

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Q-Nova - 06-01-2019

Hey @Mors, will our levels be judged on how close they are to feeling like actual SMB3 levels, or are we allowed to get crazy and creative and do a different kind of level? Smile

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 06-01-2019

(06-01-2019, 07:38 PM)SonicKade2048 Wrote: @Mors

We talked about this in private but if someone gets the same issue, just update your GPU drivers. If that doesn't work it means that your PC isn't compatible.

(06-01-2019, 08:12 PM)Q-Nova Wrote: Hey @Mors, will our levels be judged on how close they are to feeling like actual SMB3 levels, or are we allowed to get crazy and creative and do a different kind of level? Smile

Depends on the judge I suppose, but personally I wouldn't mind some crazy creative levels!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Pedigree - 06-02-2019

The behavior of the close button on the editor when testing has lost me many levels. Typical behavior would be to close the play test and return to the editor, not close the entire program. I read that you need to press F10 to go back to the editor, but it is not intuitive and I tend to forget when going back and forth repeatedly testing a level.

At the very least, a pop up dialog asking if you're sure you want to close the whole program when you press it would save a lot of headache I feel.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 06-02-2019

(06-02-2019, 03:19 AM)Pedigree Wrote: The behavior of the close button on the editor when testing has lost me many levels. Typical behavior would be to close the play test and return to the editor, not close the entire program. I read that you need to press F10 to go back to the editor, but it is not intuitive and I tend to forget when going back and forth repeatedly testing a level.

At the very least, a pop up dialog asking if you're sure you want to close the whole program when you press it would save a lot of headache I feel.

That's a limitation of using Game Maker for the editor, I don't think it allows you to change the behavior of the close button anymore.

I'll try looking for workarounds, but no promises.

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 06-02-2019

VERSION 1.2 OF THE EDITOR IS OUT!

It features:
  • Many bugfixes!
  • New creation codes
  • Small tweaks to the editor
  • A more in-depth manual (recommended to check again)
  • Optimization! (i hope)
  • Probably more stuff I forgot about.
You can download it from the main post!

(06-02-2019, 07:19 AM)Mors Wrote: That's a limitation of using Game Maker for the editor, I don't think it allows you to change the behavior of the close button anymore.

I'll try looking for workarounds, but no promises. 

Well... I've found an extension that allows you to do that. Whoops!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Pedigree - 06-02-2019

Thank you, awesome work!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Pedigree - 06-03-2019

Submitted my level, huzzah!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mikeystar - 06-03-2019

While I was designing my level for the contest, I realized that the default "main" and "back" tilesets were not only heavily
incomplete, but there were some errors on a few tiles that I couldn't use, especially there lacking a Rotodisc Base (the gray sphere).

So I went out of my way to compose this tileset.

[Image: esN8jdS.png][Image: BFm0dys.png]

Hopefully there will be a patch including these tiles I've added in. I've performed to the best of my ability to keep the tileset dimensions the same.
If it does get added into the level editor as a default, thank you very much.

EDIT: Lava tiles are invisible when testing the game.
EDIT2: I'm guessing the enemy spawning objects like the rotodisc and flying cheep cheeps have no specified creation code in the "README" document?

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mors - 06-03-2019

I've updated the editor once again, fixing a ton of issues. You can download it from the main post.

The differences from v1.2 are:

(06-03-2019, 06:33 PM)Mikeystar Wrote: While I was designing my level for the contest, I realized that the default "main" and "back" tilesets were not only heavily
incomplete, but there were some errors on a few tiles that I couldn't use, especially there lacking a Rotodisc Base (the gray sphere).

So I went out of my way to compose this tileset.[Image: esN8jdS.png][Image: BFm0dys.png]

Hopefully there will be a patch including these tiles I've added in. I've performed to the best of my ability to keep the tileset dimensions the same.

EDIT2: I'm guessing the enemy spawning objects like the rotodisc and flying cheep cheeps have no specified creation code in the "README" document?

Oh! I saw this right after the update went live. Well, I can't just use these because the layout seems to be changed a bit, and since people have already started making their levels the layout should stay the same. But I'll still make sure to include all the changes from here in the next patch, thank you!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Mikeystar - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 10:09 PM)Mors Wrote: I've updated the editor once again, fixing a ton of issues. You can download it from the main post.

The differences from v1.2 are:

(06-03-2019, 06:33 PM)Mikeystar Wrote: While I was designing my level for the contest, I realized that the default "main" and "back" tilesets were not only heavily

So I went out of my way to compose this tileset.[Image: esN8jdS.png][Image: BFm0dys.png]

Oh! I saw this right after the update went live. Well, I can't just use these because the layout seems to be changed a bit, and since people have already started making their levels the layout should stay the same. But I'll still make sure to include all the changes from here in the next patch, thank you!

I figured that the layout changes will, overall, mess eith the layouts of other people's creations, so it's okay really.
But you're welcome, nevertheless!

RE: MTA3 - SMB3 Level Contest - Darkrai3 - 06-14-2019

I might create all of the poses for Piranha Mario. I'll give you a credit, Mors.

I'll actually rip Piranha Mario, with credit from Mors.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.