MFGG Forums
Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories (/showthread.php?tid=1780)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fanfiction Posts Finished - JaberandCamgar - 11-02-2019

I posted the last chapter for my Fanfiction edition of the story earlier today, and I'm hoping to get some reviews really soon. If anyone that has been watching this thread has read it, feel free to post there, too − I would greatly appreciate some opinions. I'm looking for some critical feedback and anyone interested in helping me develop it. I don't want to start development if nobody likes the story.

Anyway, here is a little sprite sheet animation that I put together over the past week. There wasn't enough time to incorporate it into my mutoscope capstone course, but it's still nice to have and refer to. I shrunk it down here to save space on my quota, though I'd insert more pictures if I knew how to earn or purchase more attachment quota space.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 02-17-2020

I admit, I haven't really gotten any headway on development. I still don't have a team. But after Ostrich101 showed me how I could add pictures to my posts, I can at least display some of my drawings here:

[Image: t6i60vxkaeg41.jpg]

This scene can be found in Chapter 5 of my FanFiction story.

I just digitized this drawing today. Takes place at the very end of the story.

[Image: zoitv3u5pkh41.png?width=4032&format=png&...e19ce90e07]

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - OssieTheOstrich - 02-18-2020

Wow man, the amount of detail you've put into the project's writing and the art is astounding, it's really great and charming.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Mariotroid - 02-20-2020

These are amazing drawings. They look so crisp and clear. Have you started developing the game yet? It's important to put your foot in the game so you have something up and running.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 02-20-2020

No, I have not done any development of the game as I have little to no experience in it. However, I have thought about how I might go about starting it. I'd start with one character at a time in a special area to test all of the overworld mechanics. The battle mechanics would then be tested separately, and after establishing both of them, figure out how to combine them for the complete gameplay.

As you can see, I have gone into very intricate detail on the writing, the art, and how to go about starting development. The only thing stopping me from putting this together would be the absence of a team. If you know of anyone that might be interested in helping me get started, feel free to tell them about this (I have a Discord account). I won't be in school much longer, and then I'll have much more free time to learn how to put this idea into binary.

BTW, here's a plan I put together for what the path through the Toadwood Forest might look like:
[Image: 37tlo36pbhn31.jpg]

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Mariotroid - 02-20-2020

This would be a massive undertaking btw, good luck. Have some motivating factor behind its creation. Maybe an accountabillibuddy would help too.

Possible Progress - JaberandCamgar - 04-11-2020

Big update!

I got a message from a Reddit user on Thursday morning (VERY early Thursday morning, that is) telling me that he wanted to help me develop the game, specifically "spriting or some scripting." He told me that he really liked the plot of my story, saying that "all good rpg games need a story; And this is one of the best I have ever seen." We have connected on Discord, and he is already at work putting together some sprites. I told him that it would be best to start with Mario before going into too much detail on the other characters (he was doing Wart). 

I'm hoping that this is a start to some actual development process. I will try to give updates as time goes on.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Mariotroid - 04-11-2020

That's awesome news. Does seem like a great game story, good luck!

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 04-12-2020

I started working on a pixel art Mario head to practice. If both of us can create sprites, the game could be developed quicker. But since we're only working on sprites, I have no animations to showcase yet. Here's a screenshot:

[Image: unknown.png?width=1249&height=702]

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Mariotroid - 04-12-2020

(04-12-2020, 04:24 PM)JaberandCamgar Wrote: I started working on a pixel art Mario head to practice. If both of us can create sprites, the game could be developed quicker. But since we're only working on sprites, I have no animations to showcase yet. Here's a screenshot:

[Image: unknown.png?width=1249&height=702]
That's a good mario.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Evan.F - 04-12-2020

I went ahead and edited the Mario sprite a little, using hues and other details.
What do you think? (also the colours on the Original are accidently the ones on the new sprite).
[Image: file.php?id=785]

Full Sprite Concept - JaberandCamgar - 04-12-2020

I continued with the pixel art and created a full sprite of Mario.

[Image: unknown.png]

Perhaps with this as a basis, we can start to put together some animations. I'll keep everyone posted.

Happy Easter!

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 04-13-2020

Okay, I think I've got it. This looks a lot better now:

[Image: MarioSpriteBig.jpg]

I've also split the sprites for clarity. Let me know what you guys think!

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - DiggingJam - 04-17-2020

(06-15-2019, 10:28 PM)JaberandCamgar Wrote:

This could technically be classified as the first sprite concept for my game. I wanted to try to visualize what color my friendly Shroob would be, so I came up with this 3DS style color palette today along with a generic Shroob for comparison (taken from ML3DX on The Spriter's Resource). I had already decided that he would have green eyes as opposed to red as all the other members of his alien race . . . similar to the difference between the Lakitus from Super Mario World versus the Lakitu Referee in Super Mario Kart, which had the same difference.

As I had mentioned, this unusual Shroob would play an important part in my story's plot, as it would be Shroob technology that would allow real Luigi to enter the Dream World (and even if Dreamy Luigi could enter Subspace, he does not have Thunderhand like real Luigi does, and would not be able to do any of the puzzles inside that require it) and his expertise on this technology would be invaluable to the team. I have even given him an emotional scene not long before they head off into the Toadwood Forest:

After Mario and company returned from the Dream Portal, Dreambert explained the situation to the rest of the party. "So it looks like we are going to have to return to the Toadwood Forest and find this research. I would be quite surprised if it actually works." Peach looked concerned.
"But Dreambert," she said. "All the Shroob technology runs on vim. Mario and Luigi can certainly tell you how terrible that was."
"I remember reading about it," Toadette added. "It was horrible! The trees would catch unsuspecting Toads and start sucking the life out of them. And if they themselves didn't get caught directly like Toadiko, the Shroob Saucers would abduct Toads from all around and bring them to the forest and entrap them themselves! I'm glad I wasn't around to see it; it was before my time. Are you sure we can't find some other way to get into the Dream World?" She looked over at Charlie.
The Shroob hung his head down and sighed. "Yes . . . it was despicable. But as E. Gadd had said earlier, I had no power whatsoever to change it. I was seen as a freak for my compassion towards your people, but they still kept me on their team for my expertise, and because they knew I couldn't do anything about it. And look at where their aggressiveness got them! The Princess Shroob Sisters, my colleagues, all the Shrooboids and Shrooblets and other Shroobkind, all the mushrooms, every last semblance of my people - all gone; eradicated; whipped off the face of the earth . . . all except me. And why? Because I have this thing called compassion! Something no other Shroob I knew ever seemed to understand." The party saw tears starting to form in his eyes. And them the most unusual thing happened: Toadette walked up to the Shroob - and gave him a hug!
"Aww! How touching!" Peach thought to herself. "How unexpected, too!"

Happiness is loving your enemies!

Great job on writing. Maybe you are a great writer Cool

Alternate Endings - JaberandCamgar - 06-16-2020

(04-12-2020, 05:53 PM)Evan.F Wrote:
I went ahead and edited the Mario sprite a little, using hues and other details.
What do you think? (also the colours on the Original are accidently the ones on the new sprite).
[Image: file.php?id=785]
Before I tell about my most recent ideas, I wanted to replay to @Evan.F (super late though it may be) regarding his edited version of my first Mario sprite concept:
  • I appreciate your efforts, but the sprite you created does not fit the Mario & Luigi style. Eyes are always black with no iris, and the "M" and "L" of the Brothers' respective caps are not shown in the sprites. In addition, the eyes shouldn't extend above the rim of Mario's Cap nor his ears extended so much. I'm not trying to tell you that your art is bad . . . it just doesn't fit the art style present in the series. To get an idea, you can look at the sprites from Bowser's Inside Story: (https://www.spriters-resource.com/ds_dsi/marioandluigi3/).
I did some brainstorming recently on what sort of overworld gimmicks and techniques to consider . . . but I also thought of an idea for an alternate ending. At the end of my story, after they defeat Wart, Princess Peach uses the Legendary to return Bowser to normal after he had been turned to stone by Wart. But a day or two ago I got around to thinking . . . what if there were a reality in where Peach didn't aid Bowser after being betrayed? What if she forgot to go back for him? I'm still thinking about how exactly the epilogue would play out, but I do know that Bowser Jr. would probably be heartbroken at the loss of his father − as well as mad at the Princess for leaving him behind. Junior would become the new king of the Koopa Troop, and who knows . . . in his anger, he might even try to kidnap the Princess!

I also have an idea for a bad ending as well. When the quartet is exploring Wart's fortress complex before the final encounter, she finds her father in the middle of a big chamber. The canonical ending would be the Princess wising up to an obvious trap. But should I create the possibility of them falling for the trap as a Game Over sequence? If I did, I would do it this way: I will not have it so that a screen pops up to give them a choice − that's too obvious. Instead, I'd have it so that it's decided through regular gameplay. If the player attempts to approach the King, the trap would be activated, the ground would crumble from under them, and they'd all fall into oblivion − Game Over! BUT . . . there would also be a spot on the ground that Peach can interact with and discover it as a trap and then expose it.

A number of bad endings have been portrayed in the Paper Mario series but not so much in the Mario & Luigi series. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door gives possibilities like reading Ghost T's diary and accepting the Shadow Queen's offer; while Super Paper Mario has refusing to accept the Pure Heart at the beginning of the game and swearing allegiance to Dimentio (I suppose that failing in the Snifit or Whiffit game shows could also count). I do not consider being shot down by the Shroob Mothership from Partners in Time as a bad ending, as it is simply a form of being defeated by the enemy. The Nancy Drew series of videogames is filled with these sorts of bad endings such as being kicked off the case, arrested and/or prosecuted, or even suffering a grisly death! I also recall it being part of the Myst series.

If any of you have read my story and have an idea of where else I could possibly insert a bad ending, feel free to speak up!

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-17-2020

Not to say your sprite is bad because it isn't, but if you want it to fit the M&L style perfectly why not just use the M&L sprites?

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 06-20-2020

First of all, I thought it would be an interesting challenge to come up with the sprites myself. @Ostrich101 is using custom-made sprites in his fangame Super Mario Generations. I also feel like I'd be picking a fight with Nintendo if they saw me making a big, well-made, fan game like Super Mario 63 using their copyrighted sprite sheets (and while that game does use the Superstar Saga sprites, there are custom made Superstar Saga style F.L.U.D.D. sprites as well . . . it's not entirely ripped content).

I would also have to create lots and lots of additional sprite pieces that Nintendo hasn't created yet. There would have to be a series of sprites depicting Princess Peach's memory surge; the action of Mario throwing Cappy, along with him − as well as Luigi, Peach, and Toadette if applicable − capturing something in the overworld; I'd have to have Luigi's static electricity extension of his Thunderhand laid out; sprites of Wingo, Dino Piranha, Daisy, the Broodals, and Wart among many, many others; and . . . 

There's a TON of stuff here that I've been thoroughly putting together . . . yet I still don't have anyone to help me begin programming anything. Sometimes I wish I could contact Nintendo . . . but I'd like to be able to translate my message into Japanese and put together a portfolio of the details of my idea and maybe some of my artwork as well. I have an idea laid out on how I might be able to get their attention, and I think they'd be impressed by the amount of thought and Super Mario knowledge that went into it − but translation would have to be my first step.

Maybe I'm not being assertive enough . . .

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - friendlinzh - 09-12-2020

what software/engine will the game be made with?

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - JaberandCamgar - 09-13-2020

(09-12-2020, 04:25 AM)friendlinzh Wrote: what software/engine will the game be made with?

I really don't have any idea on what software to use. My sister used RPGMaker for her fangame "The Boss" (https://gamejolt.com/games/the_boss/208797) and she tells me that she had experimented with its UI and learned it bit by bit. The problem is that I feel that my idea would have to be much more sophisticated, and I don't know whether RPGMaker is capable of rendering a faithful reproduction of the Mario & Luigi style.

I don't really have anyone to talk to on the matter besides my sister, and we don't talk too often. I have had trouble in knowing how to start putting together some sort of team. As a result, little had happened besides me drawing pictures.

RE: Mario & Luigi: Eclipsed Memories - bigpotato - 09-13-2020

Hi there! 
First of all, this project is amazing! Your conception of Mario's world is interesting and detailed. Your story brings together elements of the Mario universe in clever ways, and innovates upon them in ways that feel natural. I particularly appreciate your moments of compassion with the Broodals and Charlie Shroobson. It's also impressive that you've worked persistently at this for more than three and a half months. I would altogether very much enjoy playing the game than you have planned out. 

That being said, game development is hard. Learning game development is even harder. Nintendo has whole teams of specialized professionals working on each aspect of their games, and they still take months and years to develop. So creating a game to fit this colossus of a story, especially with no prior experience, is going to take an extremely long time. As in, you are likely to sooner have children than to have this game completed.

So I'd like to ask you this: How committed are you to this story becoming a game, specifically? It's obvious that you've worked very hard on it already, and it would be a tragedy to see it go nowhere. But a story has value in itself, and I think you should consider some less involved mediums to bring it to life in. I could see this being realized as a webcomic, as a sprite animation a la Super Mario Bros Z, heck, even as a visual novel. You strike me as a story guy much more than a gamedev guy, and there are perfectly valid ways to showcase your video game story apart from making a full video game. You've got options, and some of those options align much better with your skillset than others.

But if you're fully committed to your current line of action, I understand. Scaling back your ambitions, throwing away ideas you like is never a fun thing to do, and can feel like a waste of time. (I would know, I'm terribly stubborn about it.) You may be able to pull this thing off eventually. You've got a good deal done already, you've got clear goals, and you seem incredibly well-focused. If you can put a good team together your odds'll be even higher. But it's always a race. It's a race between your progress on completing the project and your restlessness to move on to something new and more interesting. And however slowly the latter may move for you, I just know that the former has a really long way to go. So consider your options, and continue to consider your options as you go along. If you'd like to talk about this whole thing further, I'd be happy to DM with you.

(Oh, and a little side note: contacting Nintendo in any way is probably not a wise idea. They're not as anti-fangame as they're often made out to be, but the relationship seems to go that they tolerate us so long as they don't have to acknowledge our existence and we don't start treading on their profits. We're way less likely to get a Sonic Mania situation than with SEGA.)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.