MFGG Forums
Team Sonic Racing - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Team Sonic Racing (/showthread.php?tid=1781)

Team Sonic Racing - Mors - 05-28-2019

Not gonna lie I almost completely forgot about this game until like a week before it came out. I dunno I just didn't really care for it, and it seemed to have way less content than the upcoming CTR remake.

I still picked it up on launch tho, and surprisingly it turned out being pretty good! In a lot of ways, it's very similar to Transformed, as in it controls almost exactly the same, shares modes and stuff, yet it manages to have its own identity. I was totally expecting to hate how transforming isn't a thing here anymore, or how the crossover aspect is gone. Yet it doesn't bother me because the game ends up feeling distinct enough. The gameplay itself is really fun too! I wished there was a bit more track variety but for a $40 game, this is more than enough.

Honestly, I like this game more than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Yes, I went there! Fight me!

RE: Team Sonic Racing - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 05-29-2019

Even though this game is fun and all, It's inferior to Racing Transformed and Mario Kart 8 

No Monkey Ball Characters

It's fun but not that good

RE: Team Sonic Racing - Pharad - 06-10-2019

I think the game is awesome, especially if you want to better understand the Sonic universe. Also, the price of Team Sonic Racing is definitely worth the investment, so just pick it up and enjoy the experience! Love

RE: Team Sonic Racing - GeneralGuy - 09-03-2019

Is this any good? How does it compare with all the previous Sonic racing games?

RE: Team Sonic Racing - FibS - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 10:45 AM)May Wrote: Is this any good? How does it compare with all the previous Sonic racing games?

It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a party game first and a racing game second.

The problem with Team Sonic Racing is that the average place of your entire team determines your score. To this end, you can piggy-back off of your team's slipstreams as basically the single most important mechanic. In order for slipstreams to be easily follow-able, each individual racer is slower and has less fancy moves compared to a more technical racer like Transformed.

tl;dr the game sacrifices capabilities of individual racers to make the team mechanic more reliably functional, so it isn't optimal if you're looking for a generally good racing game. It's good if you actually have a team of 3 people and you're all playing very casually.

RE: Team Sonic Racing - GeneralGuy - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 02:49 PM)FibS Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 10:45 AM)May Wrote: Is this any good? How does it compare with all the previous Sonic racing games?

It's not a bad game by any means, but it's a party game first and a racing game second.

The problem with Team Sonic Racing is that the average place of your entire team determines your score. To this end, you can piggy-back off of your team's slipstreams as basically the single most important mechanic. In order for slipstreams to be easily follow-able, each individual racer is slower and has less fancy moves compared to a more technical racer like Transformed.

tl;dr the game sacrifices capabilities of individual racers to make the team mechanic more reliably functional, so it isn't optimal if you're looking for a generally good racing game. It's good if you actually have a team of 3 people and you're all playing very casually.
Thanks for the analysis, Draco. Hmm, that sounds good and seems like fun. I do like to play some casual games competitively, and might consider getting this. Is the PS4 or Switch version better?

RE: Team Sonic Racing - FibS - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 04:11 PM)May Wrote: Thanks for the analysis, Draco. Hmm, that sounds good and seems like fun. I do like to play some casual games competitively, and might consider getting this. Is the PS4 or Switch version better?

The most noticeable difference is the Switch runs 30FPS and the PS4 runs 60. (I actually prefer 30FPS, but that's me being retro.)

The load times are very close and it's inconsistent when one or the other loads faster. The PS4 version has a "fading out" effect on distant scenery and the Switch version doesn't - otherwise, graphics look nearly identical.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.