MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Toadette's Sweets Gallery - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Toadette's Sweets Gallery (/showthread.php?tid=1789)

Toadette's Sweets Gallery - Hello - 06-07-2019

[Image: logo_tsg.png]

The Sweets Gallery is an exhibit full of magical dessert paintings containing worlds within them. The ever curious Captain Toad was exploring these worlds when all of a sudden, the paintings lost their magic, and Captain Toad was left trapped inside! It is now up to Toadette to collect the power stars needed to restore magic to the paintings and rescue Captain Toad in this 3D platformer!

[Image: tsg1.png]
[Image: tsg2.png]
[Image: tsg3.png]

Download

RE: Toadette's Sweets Gallery - Evil Yoshi Toes - 06-07-2019

I just played it a bit and it's definitely an improvement over your last 3D game! The character is still pretty hard to manage though, and the camera that centers right on her when she jumps makes it really difficult to make precise jumps onto enemies or platforms. It also gives me a little bit of a headache. I still can't figure out wall jumping.
The levels are nicely themed, though I think they deserve more spirit put into them besides a few decorations scattered around. I really wish you had done something more interesting with the world creation, even if it isn't on the level of the RPGs or even Mario Sunshine or 64. The world in Galaxy was pretty simple in comparison, but it still looked great and had a lot of creativity and spirit put into it. The models are mostly OK themselves, but they still don't look properly lit and look very lifeless as a result. Some of them also just don't really fit in, like that photo-realistic cookie on the title screen when all the other deserts are cartoonish. 

I hope my criticism isn't discouraging. Like I said, this is a big improvement. I just think you should really take your time with a game and come up with cool ideas for levels and fine tune the engine and visuals instead of churning out things that aren't fun to play.

RE: Toadette's Sweets Gallery - Mors - 06-07-2019

Both the physics and the level design feel slightly better, but I don't think slightly better is enough here. The controls still barely function, the level design is still very uninspired, the effects and such still lack polish, that weird physics behavior is still here... It's an improvement for sure but not enough.

You should've put more time into addressing the issues and fixing them properly.

RE: Toadette's Sweets Gallery - darkblueyoshi - 06-08-2019

I cannot enter the first level.

RE: Toadette's Sweets Gallery - VinnyVideo - 06-09-2019

It's definitely an improvement over Super Mario Prism, although it still has a number of issues.

The graphics and sound are significantly more appealing than Prism's. The mechanics are better as well, although they're still a little bit slippery.

From what I've seen so far, the game is still built around long, difficult platforming sections. It's fine to have platforming sections, but it gets tiresome when every mission feels the same. In the official 3-D Mario games, there are usually plenty of missions where your primary enemy isn't a bottomless pit - for example, boss battles or races with other characters.

I also noticed some technical gremlins:
  • Many sections require you to long jump, and long jumping rarely works properly. I haven't tested it on my controller yet, but when I play with the keyboard, long jumping only works when I'm going directly left or right. If I'm going up or down (or diagonally), I can't make a long jump. This is a serious bug.
  • When Goombas drop off a ledge, they float until they hit the ground. Their gravity is very low.
  • The Toads' messages are often hard to read, especially if you're standing close to them.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.