MFGG Forums
COMPLETED Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: COMPLETED Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! (/showthread.php?tid=1851)

Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - MDragmire - 07-12-2019

[Image: unknown.png]
November 2021 update
Quote:Every 25 years, the Mushroom Kingdom throws a quarter-century celebration, called the Jubilee. The last Jubilee was held when the Princess was a child, by her father, the late King Toadstool.

It is during the Jubilee that a shocking revelation about the history of the Toadstool Family comes about.

RE: Princess Quest - Vitiman - 07-12-2019

This is shaping up to be one of the best looking retro fangames I've ever seen. The new Bella character looks especially fascinating!

also more Clickteam games is always welcome in my book

RE: Princess Quest - GeneralGuy - 07-12-2019

Wow, this looks awesome! It's nice to see a Mario RPG for a change. The chiptune music is really captivating. I highly look forward to this release of this game. Great job, Dragmire!

RE: Princess Quest - MegaTailzChao - 07-13-2019

This is unbelievably cool. Excited for the final release!

RE: Princess Quest - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-13-2019

So glad to see this again. Everything about it looks absolutely awesome.

RE: Princess Quest - VinnyVideo - 07-13-2019

I've enjoyed the previous demos I've played, and I'm definitely looking forward to playing the full version of this. NES graphics and action RPG gameplay is an interesting combination, and this game does a great job of making it work.

RE: Princess Quest - Merit Celaire - 07-14-2019

Wow, you're still on this project, MDragmire? This is still looking awesome and in the NES style to boot!

Also, am I dreaming, or does it look like we'll be able to play as Peach herself at certain points?

Finally, what game making program are you using to create this as well? I'm very curious on that front.

RE: Princess Quest - MDragmire - 07-15-2019

Yeah, Peach will be playable in parts of the game. I'm using clickteam fusion.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I gotta whip up some more stuff to share.

RE: Princess Quest - Merit Celaire - 07-15-2019

Yeah, definitely don't rush this (heck, I'm trying to get my you-know-what in gear in terms of three game projects on my end - only that they're Mario females related that have them in "lead role territory").

But as for your project itself, how far are you on this this itself? I'm looking forward to seeing more here as the months forge ahead.

RE: Princess Quest - MDragmire - 07-16-2019

There is a prologue, and 7 chapters (with interludes in between) planned for the game. In the 6 years I've worked on this game... I'm at the interlude between chapters 2 & 3. 💦 

Because of how long it's taken me to make progress in this, I wanted to release each chapter individually, but I then ran into the issue where some chapters may be super short compared to others. So I have no real choice but to release it as one game.

The prologue does a bit of world building and has most of the 'traditional' gameplay in the game (walking around jumping, exploring the map, etc), so it's considerably longer than say, chapter 1. The prologue alone could stand alone as its own game if I never were to finish the whole thing.
Chapter 2 changes the gameplay a bit, moving it into a Princess training sim (a real bootleg princess maker knockoff). I also plan to have a phoenix wright styled court case in one chapter. I don't want to reveal too much more. These changes of genre I think are why its taking me a long time. I've more or less finalized the story tho, and I think that if I buckle down and give it a good bit of effort, I could maybe finish it by the end of the year. It's worth a shot!

Here's a sparsely updated Twitter Account where I share a few related to the game. I intended it to be a place to dump ideas and notes to, but I've started using a notes app for that now to be more organized.  (maybe some of the links to my buggy and outdated demos in there still work) https://twitter.com/dragmireprods

RE: Princess Quest - MC Jimmy - 07-23-2019

I saw this in the discord channel before and I can't remember if I commented on it, but I really like the overall idea of the game. Everything shown fits together well. The original character is cool too!

RE: Princess Quest - MDragmire - 09-27-2020

I'm finally releasing what I have as part 1, for NCFC.

RE: Princess Quest - MDragmire - 10-28-2020

[Image: unknown.png]
NCFC Booth Link (download there)

RE: Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - MDragmire - 11-04-2020

Watching the NCFC stream of this has me concerned. Certain areas in the game suffered from significant slowdown, which I think is a combination of running streaming software and playing the game at the same time on a computer that may not be able to handle it for some reason. It happened to some friends of mine when they streamed it before, but I thought it was an isolated incident.

I can't really test for it myself because I do not experience the issue.

It's made in clickteam fusion, if that means anything. I'm really bummed out about it.

RE: Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - VinnyVideo - 11-04-2020

I was out of town for a few days, so I haven't had a chance to play the full game yet. However, I didn't encounter any performance issues while playing the first level of this demo, and I didn't have any problems with previous builds.

RE: Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - VinnyVideo - 11-11-2020

I just finished playing through Part 1. There were a few technical gremlins, but overall it was a very enjoyable experience with a lot of soul and wit. It's always nice to see a fresh take on the Mario franchise.

However, there is a lot of lag in the central part of Castle Town, especially during the Jubilee. I hope you can find a way to improve performance for that area. Fortunately, I didn't encounter any performance issues anywhere else in the game.

RE: Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - MDragmire - 11-04-2021

Quote:Despite this game being "finished" a year ago for release at 2020 Nintendo Community Fangames Convention (NCFC), it still had a lot of bugs and details to iron out. The game was finished, yes, but it was honestly a bug ridden mess.  I wasn't satisfied enough to officially release it, whatever that meant.
Usually, this meant to me, releasing it for download on Mario Fan Games Galaxy, as there was no other obvious place at the time. Now, there is itch.io as well. So I am finally submitting it to MFGG and am uploading it to itch.io. I'm not sure either really will have as big of a reach as I would want, but what else can you do with such a niche interest as Mario Fan Games?
I contemplated submitting this to NCFC 2021, which is currently underway. However, as it was not outwardly or obviously different from last year's version, I decided not to.
Changes from last years, however include:
  • sprite and animation fixes
  • audio rebalancing
  • audio fadeouts
  • text correction
  • fixed a terrible slowdown in CastleTown that would grind a game to a standstill, especially when streaming
Between starting a new business and raising a baby, this got put on the back-burner a lot. 
But after a year of slowly fixing and improving parts of this game, I'm finally happy releasing it to the public, as the "official" and "final" release (unless there's some game breaking bug I inadvertently created during my last run of debugging and fixes).
I have another child on the way, and would like to maybe begin work on part 2 soon, before I have even less time to work on games.

https://mdragmire.itch.io/princess-quest1

RE: Princess Quest Part 1, OUT NOW! - Vert - 11-04-2021

Congrats on your new child! I'll be sure to give the new version a look.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.