MFGG Forums
The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 (/showthread.php?tid=1873)

Pages: 1 2

The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Yoshin - 07-17-2019

So long story short; the archives of the forums from late 2009 to mid 2010 are gone. They have been for a number of years. 
If you have anything related to those times in forum history post it here, since a lot of what existed back then is either dead or lost.
Since a lot of older users are coming back I thought maybe one of you have something.

I'll post what I have later, but it isn't much.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - HylianDev - 07-17-2019

what exactly happened? is the database wrecked?

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Vitiman - 07-17-2019

(07-17-2019, 02:03 PM)HylianDev Wrote: what exactly happened? is the database wrecked?

I've been told that during a database move shortly after the split resulted in the archive being just straight up lost, so it's hard if it's recoverable through conventional means. Char told me when he was still admin (and when I was still on that incarnation of MFGG) that he kept backups up to a point out of paranoia, but Char's not really around to ask about that sorta thing, so who really knows anymore.

I agree that this incarnation of MFGG being lost is a real damn shame, though. DavidCaruso provided archives of the staff forum and the bickerings that went on in there (which ultimately resulted in the split happening), but that's not really pertaining to the larger body of the forums, is it?

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GeneralGuy - 07-17-2019

Maybe it's for the best that MFGG 3.0, along with the original Minus World, are both lost to time.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Vitiman - 07-17-2019

(07-17-2019, 04:08 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: Maybe it's for the best that MFGG 3.0, along with the original Minus World, are both lost to time.

In some ways, perhaps. I'm aware that was an awkward transitional phase for MFGG, and since it most definitely had a lot of drama and stupidity near the end of its run that resulted in that whole mess, it probably isn't the most pleasant thing to browse. Still, I kind of miss parts of it and there was such a huge hype surrounding it, like anyone who wasn't there in 2009 had no idea, people were mass-spamming "F5" (as in literally the text "F5") in different threads talking about how they were refreshing the "forums.mfgg.net" URL to see these new phpBB forums. It was so magical seeing everyone come together and share the joy and memories over what was basically a switch in forum software.

It really does put into perspective how big the community was to MFGG's identity, then and now.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Mario - 07-17-2019

there was this hilarious comic someone posted right before we switched over minus worlds and the staff banned them instantly so we'll never know who made it or see it again and that's the saddest thing ever. it was the only thing worth keeping tho so eh

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - VinnyVideo - 07-17-2019

I downloaded a few topics from the first iteration of phpBB MFGG, though I don't know if we have a great multitude of people yearning to see the MFGG Wrestling and MFGG Football topics!

And yeah, the old phpBB forums were accidentally deleted during a server change not long after The Split. I've asked a bunch of people who might have a backup, but no one has been able to provide one. Char is the only other person who might have it, but getting in touch with him is the polar opposite of easy.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Yoshin - 07-20-2019

I'm sure Char has deleted it by now as well.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Fujiko - 07-20-2019

I think it would be interesting to compile any screenshots or archived topics people might have, for the sake of historical interest. It maybe wasn't the best time in the site's life, but it still happened, and archivists (or weirdos like myself) may be interested in it.

I think a full history of MFGG would be a great thing to write, actually. Especially now that we have a bunch of oldbies here to interview or plumb the depths of their photobuckets.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - DavidCaruso - 07-28-2019

Glad to see people other than Glukom and I are interested in this Soveryhappy

I've tried various times over the years to find a full MFGG 3.0 archive, with no luck -- possibly because most people who lived through that time would rather forget it existed. Char seems to be the final frontier here. @Yrr implied here that she knows Char's real identity, or at least that some old members do, so contacting him doesn't seem to be out of the question. I think messaging him through LinkedIn or through a professional e-mail would be a bit awkward for sure, but totally worth it if he responds (whether he has an archive or not).

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GothGirlGangBlasterMaster - 07-28-2019

i didn't even realize lopes wanted to see mfgg 3 again. figured it was a dark time better off forgotten
even if yrr does reach out to char, i can't imagine he kept a forum archived this long. prob not worth asking her

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Jalopes - 08-07-2019

(07-28-2019, 06:31 AM)GothGirlGangBlasterMaster Wrote: i didn't even realize lopes wanted to see mfgg 3 again. figured it was a dark time better off forgotten
even if yrr does reach out to char, i can't imagine he kept a forum archived this long. prob not worth asking her

of course i want to see mfgg 3 again that s*** is a vital historical document

embarrassing and shameful, yes, but essential

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Hyper - 08-07-2019

Speaking about that. I saved something from MFGG 3.0. It was a weird jokegame made by someone but I don't recall who made it. If you check the date modified on the exe file, it was made around that time:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b4RHYkDY88M4LmXd5nNy9AU0a85ofd5g

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GeneralGuy - 08-10-2019

Yeah, Char is our only hope of getting the archived backup of MFGG 3.0 (November 6th, 2009 - November 5th, 2010 phpBB forums)

But what about the original Minus World? Is anyone interested in an archive of the original Minus World?

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - Daisy - 08-10-2019

Is it possible someone may have some of it on Internet Archives?

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GeneralGuy - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 09:18 PM)Lisa Wrote: Is it possible someone may have some of it on Internet Archives?
There's a few timestamps of MFGG 3.0 and the original Minus World archived on Way Back Machine, but I don't think there's actual backups on Archive.org

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - DavidCaruso - 08-12-2019

(08-10-2019, 08:18 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: But what about the original Minus World? Is anyone interested in an archive of the original Minus World?

Not in the slightest

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GeneralGuy - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 04:44 PM)DavidCaruso Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 08:18 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: But what about the original Minus World? Is anyone interested in an archive of the original Minus World?

Not in the slightest
Why not? Is the original Minus World even more reviled and atrocious than MFGG 3.0?

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - OssieTheOstrich - 08-13-2019

MFGG 3.0 is probably lost media now. Lost forever due to evil computers dying.

RE: The Hunt For MFGG 3.0 - GothGirlGangBlasterMaster - 08-13-2019

(08-12-2019, 04:52 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:
(08-12-2019, 04:44 PM)DavidCaruso Wrote:

Not in the slightest
Why not? Is the original Minus World even more reviled and atrocious than MFGG 3.0?

honestly i don't remember a single thing about it

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.