MFGG Forums
Elder Scrolls Sale :: so I played Morrowind - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Elder Scrolls Sale :: so I played Morrowind (/showthread.php?tid=1907)

Elder Scrolls Sale :: so I played Morrowind - FibS - 07-24-2019

Yo! Steam (and maybe other stores) is offering Elder Scrolls games for ~67% off! (Except ESO which is only 35% off.)

Morrowind and Oblivion are offered in their GotY editions, which means they come with all the major expansions / DLC. Oblivion has a SUPER GotY edition available only in English that has all the DLC.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/3783/The_Elder_Scrolls_Bundle/

... so I finally played Morrowind for the first time. (I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim otherwise.)

Here are the warnings you need to know before you start playing (these are not necessarily criticisms, just facts):
  • It has roughly the same level-up system later used in Oblivion that I hate so very much
  • You are so slow in this game, but go faster if your Speed stat is higher. Sprinting in low-level Morrowind is about as fast as regular walking in Skyrim
  • There is no fast travel (except silt striders and other taxi services)
  • There is no indicator that an item is owned / that taking it is stealing; you'll just have to use common sense and listen to what NPCs say you can take
  • "Just looking" while Pickpocketing is a crime. Pickpocketing is also always impossible due to a coding error (install Morrowind Code Patch to fix)
  • You do not naturally heal over realtime, except for Fatigue (Stamina). Waiting only regenerates Stamina and Magicka. You have to "Rest" (which Wait turns into in some areas and which all beds offer) to regenerate Health, and it takes more than 1 game hour to fully heal
  • Argonians and Khajiit can't wear shoes or full helmets. That is because they look like frogs (and move like them too)
    • You can pretty easily get a mod to change this so that you can, say, use the Boots of Blinding Speed
  • You have to equip Lockpicks like a weapon and stab locked things to try to lockpick them
  • Everything is very RNG-dependent - you don't skill-block or skill-dodge in this game, it's all dice rolls. Lockpicking is a dice roll too
    • Low Fatigue will make the RNG stack heavier against you. Much, much heavier
  • The Steam version breaks some mods because the Steam version dates your base content to the day you installed the game and Morrowind will ignore many mods whose listed dates are older than that
But I have some good things to say about it too!
  • Due to its age, the game runs smooth as hell (especially with Morrowind Code Patch to fix most of the crashes and add optimizations)
  • The writing / dialogue is hilarious. (Not sure if intentionally so)
  • Vvardenfell is very different from typical fantasy shlock, including later Elder Scrolls games. Elder Scrolls Online largely captures the architecture and shape of the land itself, but the Morrowind creatures aren't as utterly disgusting as they are in Morrowind which is kind of a shame
  • IT HAS SPEARS!!! They're exactly the goddamn same as every other weapon but SPEARS!!!
  • You can hold power attacks indefinitely and time the strike for better kiting
  • Almost nothing is scaled to your level
  • Get Morrowind Code Patch and the game will get a lot more bearable
After I play vanilla (other than MCP) for long enough, I might check in on OpenMW, which will make it much easier to mod Morrowind. I can't wait for them to get past "emulate Morrowind" and get to "de-hardcode Morrowind's really dumb game mechanics".

Oh and I got Oblivion too. I already played a lot of that so I don't have much to say about it except to hell with the level-up system.

RE: Elder Scrolls Sale :: so I played Morrowind - Evil Yoshi Toes - 07-24-2019

I really enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, all for different reasons. Morrowind is really fun, but it's something I really have to be in the mood for mostly because of the RNG you mentioned. There's a lot of charm in the hideous character models and the weird writing is very entertaining, even without the awkward voice acting of Oblivion that I love. The environment is the most interesting of the ES games too, though I certainly don't dislike the later games's typical fantasy environments. It's definitely a different mood for me to play this game over Skyrim or even Oblivion. It's harder for me to take seriously in a lot of ways, but I also find the world a lot of fun to explore because it's so weird.

RE: Elder Scrolls Sale :: so I played Morrowind - FibS - 07-24-2019

I definitely think Morrowind is best enjoyed half-seriously. It's probably the most frustrating out of the big three to try to min-max, and playing as a beast race is basically hard mode since you miss out on two equipment slots (including Boots of Blinding Speed) without any real compensation.

Oh, and there's a bugged Tribunal boss who scales to like 800x your level and is practically impossible if you're higher than level 10 or so.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.