MFGG Forums
Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. (/showthread.php?tid=1912)

Pages: 1 2

Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 07-25-2019

Ladies and gentlemen, Koopas and Mushrooms, I humbly present to you...
Soveryhappy MFGG's First Writing Competition!  Soveryhappy
[Image: unknown.png?width=375&height=375]
That's right! A fresh, new competition that's never been done before! Now, let's get into the theme...
Since MFGG's 18th anniversary was not too long ago, the theme will have to do with what MFGG's all about: Mario.
Speaking of Mario, where'd he come from? How did he and his lanky brother Luigi become the heroes of the Mushroom Kingdom? Where did it all begin?
Your job is to come up with your own version of the Mario Brothers' story. You are free to run wild with this theme, just keep it within MFGG guidelines. You can finally settle the argument whether Mario is from Brooklyn or Italy.
However, there is one catch... Within your tale, you must include Luigi saying the following words of wisdom: "I hope she made lots of spaghetti!" And yes, it has to make sense within the story.

Agree The Rules Agree
1. You must have Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser or some other villain (you can make up your own if you want) each playing a role within your story.
2. As stated above, there has to be an instance where Luigi says the words "I hope she made lots of spaghetti!" Word for word. Plus, it must fit within the context he's saying it in. [Try to do something unique with this. Don't just copy Hotel Mario in regards to the how this line is used.]
3. Don't copy any existing Mario plot.
4. You don't have to be particular regarding grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. However, if the judges consider it unreadable or even if only one section is hard to understand, then it may be disqualified.
5. Texting language/abbreviations are not allowed within your story unless it is within the context of one character texting another by phone and is easily understood.
6. You must have a minimum of two full pages of text in Arial, 12-point font. This can be checked by pasting your story into Google Docs.
7. The story may be as long as you want! Just don't, you know, make it too long.
8. Your story must have a title.
9. The judges may disqualify any entry if they see fit as long as there is a viable reason for doing so.
***Make sure that there is nothing that reveals who you are in your entry!***

Confused How to Submit Confused
As you might have seen in the rules, we are having judges this time around! @VinnyVideo, @Evil Yoshi Toes, @Fun With Despair, and @GamerInGeorgia (that's me!) are your judges de jour! To eliminate bias, I have come up with this system of blind judging:
Go to this link and upload the file or link of your entry. Do NOT post your entry on the forums or on the MFGG Discord. Then, after you've sent your entry in, send @GamerInGeorgia (me, again) a DM either here on the forums or on Discord. Here's what it should look like, with the spoiler containing the name of your entry (this must match the title you gave your story):
Forum DM:
Discord DM:
This spoiler will only be looked at after all of the judges have voted. Do NOT DM me if you have not submitted yet!!!!! 
I will create a list of the entries as they come in (everyone will read them blind) and only start posting the names once I get a good amount of entries so that it's not evident who wrote what.
On a side note, the judges can also submit entries; however, they will not be judging their own entry. A judge can still win if the other judges vote for their story, but can't vote for themselves.

Wink The Deadline and the Prize Wink
You have until August 25, 2019 11:59 PM EST to complete your entry. This is a soft deadline and you're allowed to be a little late.
Regarding the prize for coming out on top, the winning story will get a cover drawn by Evil Yoshi Toes! (Second place might get something too!)
On top of that, all entries will be compiled and posted on Wattpad

If you have any questions, ping/DM me here or on the MFGG Discord if you need anything clarified!
With that being said, what are you waiting for? Dust off those typewriters, put your Mario caps on, and get writing! 

Cool List of Entries Cool
Pipes
Super Mario Bros: King Koopa’s Clown Car Disaster
Mario '83
Turtles
Mario Bros. & Insurance Papers

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - Parakarry - 07-26-2019

Ooh sounds cool.
Time for a new badge maybe?

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - VinnyVideo - 07-28-2019

This is a fun idea - I'm glad we're finally doing one of these! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone makes.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - Q-Nova - 07-30-2019

Actually, we did have one writing competition before, that being in the 2014 Halloween event.

I've been asking for another one for a long time, so I'm glad to see that my wish has came true! [Image: smile.gif] Can't wait to see what will you all make!

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-08-2019

We are nearing the half-way mark of the competition! 17 days left until the deadline!
In other news, we have gotten our first entry: Pipes! (I've also linked it in the OP under the list of entries)
Also, the prize has been finalized! On top of than receiving the traditional badge, the winner will get a cover for their story! And all of the entries will be compiled and posted on Wattpad! (For those who don't know what Wattpad is, it is linked in the OP.)

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - strabiri - 08-08-2019

I can't view pipes without access.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-08-2019

@ultragreenmario It should work now.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-15-2019

10 days left!

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-20-2019

5 days left! If you need an extension, then please say so!

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - MarioMania2460 - 08-22-2019

Hmm, I might try to participate...  Cool

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-27-2019

It is now two days past the deadline and we still only have one entry. Due to the lack of participation, I'm calling the competition off. A hearty pat on the back to @Friendly Dictator, the author of Pipes, our only entry, for his spectacular entry!

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GeneralGuy - 08-27-2019

What a shame. How many entries do we need to not cancel the competition? Maybe we can extend it a bit.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-27-2019

(08-27-2019, 02:14 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: What a shame. How many entries do we need to not cancel the competition? Maybe we can extend it a bit.
I think 3-5 entries would be enough. Regarding the extension, though, I would be willing to extend the deadline. I offered to do so above and even closed the competition 2 days after the deadline so as to give people a bit more time to ask for an extension or complete an entry, but, even so, I haven't seen anybody interested in participating.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - Angustia - 08-27-2019

Would you please reconsider closing the competition? I really want a badge.

(08-27-2019, 09:20 PM)Angustia Wrote: Would you please reconsider closing the competition? I really want a badge.
How does this sound:
I'll leave the competition open until the 6th of September. If we get at least 3 entries total, then the competition will continue as originally planned.

@MarioMania2460 - If you still want to participate, here's your chance.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 08-28-2019

We now have our second entry! It's a short story by the name of Super Mario Bros: King Koopa’s Clown Car Disaster!

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - strabiri - 08-29-2019

I totally forgot about this! I worked on a story for a little bit then forgot about it. I've gotta work on mine, though, definitely.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 09-04-2019

Two days left until the end of the extended deadline! (@Angustia, this reminder is mainly for you if you're still planning on entering.)
Aside from that, we now have our third entry: Mario '86. (Link in OP)

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - strabiri - 09-07-2019

Looks like the contest has reached it's deadline! Good luck to the 3 people who entered.

RE: Writing Competition #1: The Origins of the Mario Bros. - GamerInGeorgia - 09-07-2019

Sorry for the late response, something came up and I wasn't able to close up the competition earlier. We actually have 5 entries and I'll put the remaining two up tomorrow when I have more time.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.