MFGG Forums
DONE Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: DONE Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum (/showthread.php?tid=1951)

Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Mario - 08-01-2019

As discussed in the other thread, I think we should approach resolved suggestions with a new paradigm. I'm thinking if we treat suggestions as a discussion forum there is no need for a resolved suggestions subforum. I have a strong dislike for subforums and I think you can get the same thing if you edit threads to have [RESOLVED] in the title. (or tag them? I think thats a thing too).

An alternative route is to allow replies there. I like this less, but it's still a step forward.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Kritter - 08-01-2019

Just sticking my head in to say that the "Resolved Suggestions" forum was meant for bug fixes and other things that had literally been resolved. Discussions and other things that might require a bit more than simply "yeah sure, I'll fix that" probably don't belong there or shouldn't really even be locked.

Really the suggestions forum should be for discussing SUGGESTIONS only, but then we needed a place to put bug reports and things in the early days of this forum. Perhaps including a [discussion] tag, and adding a [resolved] tag would be good. I'd be fine with removing the subforum and leaving topics open because I can't see people necroing a bug report or something unless it was necessary.

Really though I think a bigger deal has been made out of closing a suggestion, it doesn't take ire to get a topic reopened for discussion, a nicely worded PM will suffice.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Mors - 08-01-2019

As I mentioned in the other thread, I like this idea! I'll bring it up in the staff forum.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Mario - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 06:27 AM)Kritter Wrote: Really though I think a bigger deal has been made out of closing a suggestion, it doesn't take ire to get a topic reopened for discussion, a nicely worded PM will suffice.

I think if there is an issue w/ how things are handled then its something that we can fix for everyone, not just one person in private.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Fun With Despair - 08-01-2019

I think this is the best course of action. Under no circumstances should we just be throwing potential future feedback and venues for community input into the trash can because one or two staff members think it's resolved and doesn't warrant further discussion.

Further discussion of stuff like this is quite obviously valuable and doesn't hurt anyone to have around, even if the issue has been "resolved."

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - VinnyVideo - 08-01-2019

I like having the Resolved Suggestions forum so we can move bug reports/feature requests when they're clearly resolved. However, I'd prefer to make it so that all members can reply to topics in Resolved Suggestions in case a bug isn't quite fixed or an issue requires further discussion (that happens sometimes!). Forum mods can still manually lock topics in Resolved Suggestions in the unlikely event a topic boils over or gets really spammy, but that isn't very likely.

That's what I'd like to see. (I thought that's the way Resolved Suggestions has worked, but my brain could be fuzzy.)

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Mario - 08-01-2019

I really don't like subforums for active threads- makes sense for archives but it's just too troublesome to navigate for things you actually want to interact with so I'd like to avoid just opening up resolved suggestions and instead just fold it inward.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Mors - 08-01-2019

Well, we can always move resolved suggestions back to the regular forum if they are clearly not resolved.

But yeah tbh I don't have a preference when it comes to whether it the sub-forum should stay or not. I think both sides points are valid lol

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Fun With Despair - 08-01-2019

For the time being at least, until we decide what to do regarding getting rid of or keeping the subforum, I've made it so you can reply to threads in Resolved, although you can't make new threads in there for obvious reasons.

RE: Remove or allow replies in Resolved Suggestions forum - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-01-2019

I don't mind the subforum existing, but I think it should be renamed or something to make it clear that it is only for technical bugs that have been resolved. Opinion-based suggestions shouldn't be hidden away where people won't see them.

We could also separate suggestions and bug reports completely, since a suggestion is very different from a bug report.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.