MFGG Forums
Getting the keys to my new place next week - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Getting the keys to my new place next week (/showthread.php?tid=1952)

Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-01-2019

If you've read my post in the MFGG memories thread you'd know I was getting a new place. That didn't go easy though.

I checked out a nice apartment last week on Tuesday and accepted it on Wednesday only to get called a few hours later by the housing association about my landlord's written statement. Every renter at this particular association has to deliver one detailing the renter's payments and some other stuff like disturbances or police involvement. My statement claimed that I had late payments so I had to deliver a new statement before this Monday. I called up my landlord right after to explain the situation to which he said that he understood, so I figured that was all taken care of. However, I didn't hear anything from him for the rest of the week, so I tried calling him but couldn't reach him until Sunday and finally he sent a new statement a few hours later after our call that was quite clearly not filled in correctly but also still stated I had open payments. I sent a reply asking him about these late payments I've never heard anything about and even sent the bank statements that show I've paid everything on time, but got no answer.

So this Monday I called the housing association to explain the whole situation only to be told they'd call me back on Tuesday. I also called my counselor and gave her my landlord's number although she wasn't able reach him either, so that's just a dead end. The conversation I had on Tuesday wasn't very fruitful, they told me they needed a statement, I tried to explain I can't reach my landlord and that went on for some time until they decided to just call my counselor to confirm what I was saying. They had a conversation with her, she sent an e-mail and the association had a meeting yesterday to talk about my landlord situation. So just a few minutes ago they called me to tell me I'm getting the place, even without the statement, and that I can come pick up the keys next week. What a mouthful.

I'm super happy though because I finally get to move to a decent place and live close to my family and friends. I'll have to deal with the stress of moving later but for now I'm just happy to be done with the stress of not knowing if I even get to move out or what to do with my landlord. Honestly, if it didn't happen to me I'd be shocked this kind of dicking around really happens.

But at least I'm getting the keys soon!

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Hippoman - 08-01-2019

All landlords are awful. Hope your move goes alright with minimal stress and surprises.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 10:19 AM)Hippoman Wrote: All landlords are awful. Hope your move goes alright with minimal stress and surprises.

Yeah same. Luckily I got plenty of people who can help out.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - GeneralGuy - 08-01-2019

Sounds rough. Good luck

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Raie - 08-01-2019

Congrats on your new place! We just got an email from our own landlords today telling us that they're not renewing our lease and we have 30 days. Landlords are great, right?

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 04:18 PM)Raie Wrote: Congrats on your new place! We just got an email from our own landlords today telling us that they're not renewing our lease and we have 30 days. Landlords are great, right?

Hahahaha no. That's really poopy though, I can't imagine being able to find anything affordable in 30 days.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - GeneralGuy - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 04:18 PM)Raie Wrote: Congrats on your new place! We just got an email from our own landlords today telling us that they're not renewing our lease and we have 30 days. Landlords are great, right?

Well that sucks :| I'm sorry to hear that. Why aren't they renewing your leases?

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Raie - 08-02-2019

(08-01-2019, 05:29 PM)Vert Wrote:

Hahahaha no. That's really poopy though, I can't imagine being able to find anything affordable in 30 days.

Yeah it really sucks. We've been having a lot of trouble with things breaking. There was water damage under the sink from a cracked pipe, so they had to rip out the entire kitchen and redo it (we didn't have a dishwasher or kitchen countertops from May through two weeks ago). And then last month another pipe cracked and there was a ton of water damage in another part of the house. It has reoccurring plumbing problems and they're all surfacing now, and they just want to sell the house.

What's most frustrating to us, is that they could have told us at any point during the four months where they've been fixing things that they were thinking of or planning on selling, and that we should keep that in mind and start looking. Rather than slapping us with a 30 days notice after we've been their tenants for 5 years and have had no previous problems with them. They also aren't giving us the option for month to month, so we have to find a house and be out by the end of August.

We went and saw three houses yesterday and put in an application for one of them (the fee was $200 across the four of us so I swear they'd better approve us or I'm going to lose it). So fingers crossed. :'(

A lot of people I know are having to find new places to live right now. Willingly or otherwise.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-02-2019

(08-02-2019, 01:44 PM)Raie Wrote:

Yeah it really sucks. We've been having a lot of trouble with things breaking. There was water damage under the sink from a cracked pipe, so they had to rip out the entire kitchen and redo it (we didn't have a dishwasher or kitchen countertops from May through two weeks ago). And then last month another pipe cracked and there was a ton of water damage in another part of the house. It has reoccurring plumbing problems and they're all surfacing now, and they just want to sell the house.

What's most frustrating to us, is that they could have told us at any point during the four months where they've been fixing things that they were thinking of or planning on selling, and that we should keep that in mind and start looking. Rather than slapping us with a 30 days notice after we've been their tenants for 5 years and have had no previous problems with them. They also aren't giving us the option for month to month, so we have to find a house and be out by the end of August.

We went and saw three houses yesterday and put in an application for one of them (the fee was $200 across the four of us so I swear they'd better approve us or I'm going to lose it). So fingers crossed. :'(

A lot of people I know are having to find new places to live right now. Willingly or otherwise.

Jesus. At least you were able to find some houses I suppose because the house market is super f***ed right now. Took me three years to find this place because I couldn't find anything affordable.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-07-2019

[Image: qQD8KgK.jpg]

Here she is! I still need to do pretty much everything but I got a month before I have to leave my current place so it's all good.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Retriever II - 08-07-2019

Is that a heater to the right?  That might be one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a dwelling.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-08-2019

(08-07-2019, 10:59 PM)Retriever II Wrote: Is that a heater to the right?  That might be one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a dwelling.

Yep, there's another one right off-camera too.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Tri - 08-13-2019

That's a nice looking pad! I'm glad you got it sorted. It can be really tough moving in and out of places, adjusting to new surroundings and all that. Keep us posted!

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 02:05 AM)Tri Wrote: That's a nice looking pad! I'm glad you got it sorted. It can be really tough moving in and out of places, adjusting to new surroundings and all that. Keep us posted!

Yeah absolutely. Right now most of the painting is done and tomorrow we'll probably get started on the laminate flooring. I'll take some pics then and when the furniture is all in place.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Elyk - 08-13-2019

(08-02-2019, 01:44 PM)Raie Wrote:

You should read through your contract and local laws for landlord/tenant relations because I'm pretty sure that's illegal where I'm from.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-19-2019

I wanted to be done by this Friday, but at this rate that's not gonna happen. Still, I think this floor and paint look decent together.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - EDGE - 08-20-2019

Looking good, as long as you have a roof the rest can take its time to be fixed.
I had the same problem as Raie, I was lucky and found a place on the last week which is even cheaper than the one I was at.
Hope everything works out for you Raie and congratulations Vert, specially on that heater... unless you have kids then you better becareful! Lol

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 08-22-2019

[Image: nwdmTI9.png]

Rest of the furniture coming tomorrow! Oh baby.

RE: Getting the keys to my new place next week - Vert - 10-12-2019

[Image: 20191012_162013.jpg]

Oh man, my new place is finally ready. Ish. It's presentable. Took way too long but bleh.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.