MFGG Forums
Too many badges? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Too many badges? (/showthread.php?tid=1962)

Pages: 1 2

Too many badges? - Mors - 08-01-2019

We have way WAY too many badges based on stuff like participating competitions or one time only events. Because of this a lot of users (especially the older ones) have ridiculous amounts of badges which imo devalues them and makes them less interesting.

What would you guys think of reducing the number of badges we have? What I'm thinking of is that for an example we can remove the gray skull badge and replace it with the regular event participant one. You know, stuff like that. EDIT: Now that I think about it this one isn't that great of an idea lol.

I have an even crazier idea too. What if we removed the top 5 badges? I mean at this point they are just participation awards and they are the biggest culprits of why the badges don't have much value anymore. I dunno I might be wrong on this though.

RE: Too many badges? - GeneralGuy - 08-01-2019

Never. Badges are really cool and tell you a lot about an MFGGer. Badges should be kept as they are

RE: Too many badges? - Mors - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 10:01 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: Never. Badges are really cool and tell you a lot about an MFGGer. Badges should be kept as they are
You're right, they can tell a lot of things about a user.

That doesn't mean we can't make adjustments to them though.

RE: Too many badges? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-01-2019

I'm all for streamlining the badges. Badges are cool and I used to like them but now I don't even think about them anymore because everyone has so many. I'm also all for getting rid of the Top 5 badge, which I've never liked for as long as I've been here. They'd always end up causing more users to get badges than not in competitions, which is silly. Maybe we can also combine some repetitive badges into one... or just get rid of some of the weird ones. I'd like to hear more opinions on this, but I'm definitely not a fan of top 5 badges.

RE: Too many badges? - GeneralGuy - 08-01-2019

I think we should keep Top 5 Badges. Maybe only give them out if there's more than five entries?

RE: Too many badges? - Yoshin - 08-02-2019

Why not just allow users to show their top 5 badges and show the rest on the profile?

RE: Too many badges? - Hyper - 08-02-2019

I have too many badges.

Anyways, I find the top 5 badge isn't going to work out. However, I'm okay if we use the top 5 badge as a 3rd place competition badge if the competition gets enough participants.

RE: Too many badges? - VinnyVideo - 08-02-2019

Yeah, this is a conversation that's worth having.

I actually think the top five competition badges are more notable than a lot of the one-time badges that have been added lately - for example, participating in a competition takes more effort than posting on MFGG's birthday.

We've talked about adding a trophy system. Perhaps you could convert some of the less significant badges to trophies - things that appear on a member's profile page but don't appear next to every post they make.

RE: Too many badges? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-02-2019

Trophies on profiles would be cool to implement
for some of the 1 time events. Those probably need a description next to them to mean anything anyway.

RE: Too many badges? - Mario - 08-02-2019

Great thread. I think badges are seriously overdue for a long discussion on how to improve them.

I don’t think there are too many badges. I think the root problem is badges were made as a fun and silly thing never meant to live on a MFGG that has lasted this long.

I think the core problem with them is something that was probably pointed out from the start- they don’t really mean anything to anyone outside of MFGG; so often a new member’s first impression of them may be an unapproachable culture that pats itself on the back a bit too much. One time badges or badges that admins give out only on a whim exacerbate this problem with things that are just completely inaccessible to new members. I’m sure you all remember Gengar’s frustrations with trying to earn a single badge- why did he care at all? Because they seem important to a newcomer even if they don’t mean anything to those of us who have been around forever.

I’m not saying we get rid of the event badges or anything like that. I like them, I think it’s a great way to get more people involved in events and have good momentos for times that have come and gone.

I think one step in the right direction would be a limit for what badges are displayed- maybe 5 or so that you can “equip” at a time, and the full gallery on your profile (like a trophy shelf or something of that nature).

And please don’t get rid of the top 5 badges- I think they’re pretty valuable to have just to see what people have accomplished.

RE: Too many badges? - GeneralGuy - 08-02-2019

Yeah, I agree. Permanently missable stuff like in video games and badges in this case are really no fun. It just shows you were at the right place at the right time. I'm super OCD about that kinda stuff.

RE: Too many badges? - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-02-2019

I like the idea of equipping a certain amount of badges a lot. I think that’s a step in the right direction with how badges are displayed without having to get rid of any.

Also, newer members won’t have to worry about trying to get as many badges as other members even if it is impossible due to one time events since everyone has the same amount displayed anyway.

RE: Too many badges? - GeneralGuy - 08-02-2019

(08-02-2019, 08:37 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: I like the idea of equipping a certain amount of badges a lot. I think that’s a step in the right direction with how badges are displayed without having to get rid of any.

THIS IS PERFECT.

Just like in Paper Mario, where MFGG's badges came from. You can only equip so many badges with the BP you have. Everyone has a set amount of BP. Maybe you have to post so much or accomplish something to get more BP so you can equip more badges?

RE: Too many badges? - VinnyVideo - 08-03-2019

"Equippable" badges might be a good idea, and it would be a fun nod to the game that inspired this system. Maybe you could use the shop to increase your BP (up to a certain limit), or maybe you could "level up" (win a competition, reach a certain post count, or go a certain number of months active on the site) to get more.

RE: Too many badges? - Mario - 08-04-2019

I don't think the BP idea would solve current issues- just move them around. Just having a set number of equippable badges is fine. Maybe for badges that have to do w/ titles like admin, etc. those are always displayed though in addition to the equippable ones? I think that would make sense- but then again I'm not sure anyone actually uses the badge system to tell whos staff or not- the big member bar handles that for us. If there's any badges worth getting rid of, I'd say those ones are a good start.

RE: Too many badges? - GeneralGuy - 08-04-2019

I think the admin, moderator and site staff badges are redundant because of the member bars. Those should be deleted.

RE: Too many badges? - Fun With Despair - 08-04-2019

I'm fully on board with letting you equip like 5 badges to show off by posts while preserving the rest in your profile.

RE: Too many badges? - VinnyVideo - 08-04-2019

@GeneralGuy Some people hold multiple staff roles, and not all of those are reflected in your memberbar. For example, you could be mainsite QC, a forum mod, and a Wiki Sysop all at the same time.

RE: Too many badges? - Mario - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 12:40 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @GeneralGuy Some people hold multiple staff roles, and not all of those are reflected in your memberbar. For example, you could be mainsite QC, a forum mod, and a Wiki Sysop all at the same time.

I think we should come up with a better way to display this information as I'm not sure the badges are all that effective of that. My first thought is multiple memberbars- we'd probably have the space if we limited badges. But that's kinda messy and I think we'd want to make memberbars sleeker first.

RE: Too many badges? - Mors - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 12:42 PM)Mario Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 12:40 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @GeneralGuy Some people hold multiple staff roles, and not all of those are reflected in your memberbar. For example, you could be mainsite QC, a forum mod, and a Wiki Sysop all at the same time.

I think we should come up with a better way to display this information as I'm not sure the badges are all that effective of that. My first thought is multiple memberbars- we'd probably have the space if we limited badges. But that's kinda messy and I think we'd want to make memberbars sleeker first.
Maybe as secondary, smaller member bars?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.