MFGG Forums
What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Gaming (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? (/showthread.php?tid=1966)

What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - strabiri - 08-02-2019

Personally, I love the games. The first 3 games in the series are definitely in my top 3 favorite Super Nintendo games. The graphics are still beautiful for 2019 standards, which is something pretty special, as the games were created in the 90s. The gameplay is phenomenal, and tops all of the Mario offerings at the time (90s). Storywise, the games aren't perfect, but you're not playing for the story. You're playing for the gameplay, which is something the game excels at. The bosses are fun to fight, unlike the 7 or so times you fight the koopalings in Mario 3/world, and the difficulty is just perfect. It's not dark souls or kaizo, but it does provide a decent challenge. The physics, too, work greatly. Like, think of lost levels/SMB2J for a moment. That game would be great.. if it didn't have the slippery & just frankly bad SMB1 physics. If a game can provide a challenge, while still being a fun game to play (good physics), then it gets an A+ in my book. Also, unlike Mario, the series has remained relatively untouched, and hasn't had a 'Donkey Kong Country Sticker Star' yet. Even the recent games, DKC Returns and DKC Tropical Freeze have received pretty favorable reviews and don't stray too far from the original Donkey Kong Country formula.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - VinnyVideo - 08-03-2019

Of the original games, DKC2 is definitely my favorite, but all of them are good stuff.

Returns is also a lot of fun, even the Kremlings took a vacation. I still need to play Tropical Freeze.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Vert - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 08:21 AM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Of the original games, DKC2 is definitely my favorite, but all of them are good stuff.

Returns is also a lot of fun, even the Kremlings took a vacation. I still need to play Tropical Freeze.

Absolutely make sure you do. TF is amazing.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Neweegee - 08-03-2019

Love the DKC series, especially DKC2.
For some reason, DKC3 is the least memorable one to me, even though I think it's technically designed better than the first one, but I still think they're all amazing games. Don't overlook the GBA soundtrack for DKC3 by the way, that one was remade by David Wise!

The reboot series starting with Donkey Kong Country Returns is very good too, especially with their level design.
But honestly, they don't scratch the same itch as the original games

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Mario - 08-03-2019

The first game is bad- Miyamoto agrees.

The second one is pretty good I'd say but way too hard for a kid.

The third one I think finds a good balance with the difficulty as well as has a really fun overworld map. I don't remember the levels being that great but its a solid game.

I don't think the gimmick of "capture the main character of the previous game" was too great though, at the very least it would have been neat to unlock them as playable when you beat the game. I don't think Kiddy Kong really added anything to the series and probably why he's basically never shown up again.

As far as the revival goes, I've played a bit of Tropical Freeze and it's solid. I want to get it on the Switch sometime.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - strabiri - 08-04-2019

I don't think the first game is particularly bad, there's certainly alot of room for improvement to be made, but it's still all around a fun game. Looks, sounds, and plays nice to this day, aswell.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - GeneralGuy - 08-04-2019

The Donkey Kong Country series is an excellent collection of games with fun mechanics, impressive visuals and memorizing music.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Saltman - 08-04-2019

Kiddy Kong sucks ass and I hate him

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - GeneralGuy - 08-04-2019

(08-04-2019, 06:24 PM)Saltman Wrote: Kiddy Kong
Kiddy Dong*

Get it right

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - DustinVG - 08-05-2019

Some of the best platformers out there, whether made by Rare or Retro. I’d say Donkey Kong Country 2 is the absolute best one.

At first, I wasn’t so crazy about the revival DKC formula. Returns, while a very solid game, felt like it was just pandering to DKC1 nostalgia, while also changing a lot of the original formula that worked for it. Tropical Freeze, however, endeared me much more to the style, possibly by virtue of having many more unique ideas of its own, as well as bringing back the absolute legend of a composer: David Wise.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - OssieTheOstrich - 08-05-2019

Oh, I thought y'all were talking about the DKC cartoon series for a second.

Anyway as for the games, I've only played DKC1, and it's pretty good. Mario Thumbs Up

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Saltman - 08-05-2019

(08-04-2019, 06:52 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 06:24 PM)Saltman Wrote: Kiddy Kong
Kiddy Dong*

Get it right

Konkey Dong

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - GeneralGuy - 08-11-2019

The real question: How would you rank the DKC games?

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Daisy - 08-12-2019

It’s okay I guess.

RE: What do you guys think of the Donkey Kong Country series? - Angustia - 08-13-2019

I think they're hard as balls and the sole reason for my anger issues today.

Particularly the one on gameboy. Love DKC2 & 3.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.