MFGG Forums
Add classic smileys back - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Resolved Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Thread: Add classic smileys back (/showthread.php?tid=1968)

Pages: 1 2

Add classic smileys back - GeneralGuy - 08-03-2019

I strongly feel that we need to add the classic smileys made by Doc Wario back. They are an integral part of MFGG's identity and ingrained in our culture. Plus it would be extremely easy to implement them all.

[Image: cool2.gif] 
[Image: huh.gif]
[Image: ohmy.gif]
[Image: wink.gif]
[Image: tongue.gif]
[Image: biggrin.gif]
[Image: laugh.gif]
[Image: cool.gif]
[Image: rolleyes.gif]
[Image: dry.gif]
[Image: smile.gif]
[Image: soveryhappy.gif]
[Image: mad.gif]
[Image: sad.gif]
[Image: unsure.gif]
[Image: ph34r.gif]
[Image: nod.gif]
[Image: laugh3.gif]
[Image: nope.gif]
[Image: headslap.gif]
[Image: blank.gif]
[Image: scream1.gif]

Also for the smiley codes, maybe add a "2" or "old" to the end? Like :cool2: and :coolold: for example. In fact, I think we should give all the old smileys their old codes, and designate the new ones with matching names to something else.

RE: Add classic smileys back - Mario - 08-03-2019

I see no issue with them being on the all smileys page.

RE: Add classic smileys back - DustinVG - 08-03-2019

I think it would be possible to replace the “new” smilies with them in classic skins. Maybe that could happen.

RE: Add classic smileys back - SonicKade2048 - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 04:35 PM)DustinVG Wrote: I think it would be possible to replace the “new” smileys with them in classic skins. Maybe that could happen.

Wouldn't that mean we can make smileys for other skins too, like Luigi smileys for the Luigi skin?

RE: Add classic smileys back - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-03-2019

That'd be pretty cool to have the old smilies show up on the classic skins, if it could work. I also wouldn't mind just having them on all skins in the all smilies section.

RE: Add classic smileys back - GeneralGuy - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 04:35 PM)DustinVG Wrote: I think it would be possible to replace the “new” smilies with them in classic skins. Maybe that could happen.
(08-03-2019, 05:39 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: That'd be pretty cool to have the old smilies show up on the classic skins, if it could work. I also wouldn't mind just having them on all skins in the all smilies section.
This. I'm using the MFGG Classic (2003 - 2008) skin and I don't really care for the new smileys at all. I'd like for the old smilies to replace them on that skin.

RE: Add classic smileys back - Mario - 08-03-2019

IIRC MyBB doesn't have skin-specific smiley support built in, but it should still be possible with some kind of CSS to replace the images w/ other images. I think MFGG used a technique like that a long time ago (maybe preserved on the IPB skins?) for some skin-specific images.

RE: Add classic smileys back - Mariofan230 - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 06:46 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:
(08-03-2019, 04:35 PM)DustinVG Wrote: I think it would be possible to replace the “new” smilies with them in classic skins. Maybe that could happen.
(08-03-2019, 05:39 PM)Evil Yoshi Toes Wrote: That'd be pretty cool to have the old smilies show up on the classic skins, if it could work. I also wouldn't mind just having them on all skins in the all smilies section.
This. I'm using the MFGG Classic (2003 - 2008) skin and I don't really care for the new smileys at all. I'd like for the old smilies to replace them on that skin.
Re... replace them completely?! Huh?

RE: Add classic smileys back - Yoshin - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 07:36 PM)Mario Wrote: IIRC MyBB doesn't have skin-specific smiley support built in, but it should still be possible with some kind of CSS to replace the images w/ other images. I think MFGG used a technique like that a long time ago (maybe preserved on the IPB skins?) for some skin-specific images.

The Taukhaus skin has smilies specific to it.

RE: Add classic smileys back - Mors - 08-04-2019

I added them. I didn't add them as skin specific because that way some of the smilies would appear in new style, and some in old. But I feel like right now the list of smilies is... a bit too large. Not only that but the talkhaus skin should also have clashing smilies after I updated the main smiley list. Hmm...

What do you guys think? :oldhuh:

RE: Add classic smileys back - Evil Yoshi Toes - 08-04-2019

I like them :oldcool: :oldbiggrin: .... but the list of smileys is really huge now! Maybe they should be hidden in code which would also make them more special, but that might be too hard for members to use if they don't know the code. It'd be nice if there were a way to at least make them look more separate from the other smileys or on a different page, but I assume that isn't possible or it'd be way too much work to do since you mentioned the smileys being very difficult to handle.

RE: Add classic smileys back - GeneralGuy - 08-04-2019

I love it! Thank you Mors! :oldagree:

I still think the old smilies should replace the new ones on the MFGG Classic (2003 - 2008) skin, or at least be the ones that show up in the left hand smiley box first.

RE: Add classic smileys back - Mario - 08-04-2019

The only other way to organize Smileys is to hide some from the list entirely. I guess that's OK for these old ones since they're just duplicates. I don't think it's too bad if the full list is large though, after all, its the full list.

(08-04-2019, 05:30 PM)Mario Wrote: The only other way to organize Smileys is to hide some from the list entirely. I guess that's OK for these old ones since they're just duplicates. I don't think it's too bad if the full list is large though, after all, its the full list.
Maybe. Allow members to customize which smileys appear and the top? Or perhaps make it automated based on which ones you use the most.

It's not possible to fully hide them actually.
It's kinda limited what we can do with smileys in general. I guess I will just make it so they will only appear in the classic themes. For the ones that don't have an older equivalent I guess they will stay the way they are, unless someone decides to redo them.

(08-04-2019, 06:47 PM)Mors Wrote: It's not possible to fully hide them actually.
It's kinda limited what we can do with smileys in general. I guess I will just make it so they will only appear in the classic themes. For the ones that don't have an older equivalent I guess they will stay the way they are, unless someone decides to redo them.
So only people using the classic skins will be able to see them? I don't agree with that, but making them only usable on the classic skins is fine with me.

(08-04-2019, 07:00 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 06:47 PM)Mors Wrote: It's not possible to fully hide them actually.
So only people using the classic skins will be able to see them? I don't agree with that, but making them only usable on the classic skins is fine with me.

Yeah they would be only visible in the classic skins. That's really the best option considering the clutter. I dont think they would be used often if they stayed like this anyway

(08-04-2019, 07:22 PM)Mors Wrote:

Yeah they would be only visible in the classic skins. That's really the best option considering the clutter. I dont think they would be used often if they stayed like this anyway
The classic smilies need to be seen by everyone though. They need a resurgence of use.

(08-04-2019, 07:30 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:

The classic smilies need to be seen by everyone though. They need a resurgence of use.

But... why?

EDIT: I've changed it so they are now only in the MFGG Classic and Retro themes. I'll be moving this to the resolved suggestions sub-forum but feel free to continue arguing, since now you can post there apparently

(08-04-2019, 07:39 PM)Mors Wrote:
(08-04-2019, 07:30 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:

But... why?

EDIT: I've changed it so they are now only in the MFGG Classic and Retro themes. I'll be moving this to the resolved suggestions sub-forum but feel free to continue arguing, since now you can post there apparently
Because we cannot forget our past.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.