MFGG Forums
I would like some help, please. - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Developer Discussion (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I would like some help, please. (/showthread.php?tid=2075)

I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 09-03-2019

Hey, it's me again. Before you decide to do anything, hear me out. I want to prove myself worthy to people by making my own levels in Hello Engine 6, but I have a problem. I've actually created levels with a program called MarioBuilder in the past, but I've had the same problem: I can't make warps. (by the way, after looking at a basic tutorial, I've found that the Hello Engine is almost if not as easy to work with as MarioBuilder, but anyway...) if I could only make Mario warp (preferably to another room), that would really help me. if somebody could teach me or redirect me to someone who can, that would be cool.

RE: I would like some help, please. - GeneralGuy - 09-03-2019

Here's some tutorials with warp pipe functionality

Mario Pipe Engine by orange451
Warping Pipe Engine by Ultramario
piped plumbing howto by mariofreak123

RE: I would like some help, please. - VinnyVideo - 09-03-2019

You could also look at some of the example levels included with most of the Hello Engines - they'll probably show you what code you should use to get warp pipes working properly.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 09-03-2019

Thank you both for the help. If anyone else wants to comment on this thread, be my guest. As for me, I'm going to view these tutorials sometime later/in the future.

(09-03-2019, 04:54 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: You could also look at some of the example levels included with most of the Hello Engines - they'll probably show you what code you should use to get warp pipes working properly.

I was thinking of looking at the code. I assume I have to look at the creation code, but I can't seem to get it to display. I may just be REALLY stupid, but I don't know. I'll get back to you on whether I'm compitent.

Yeah, Hello's warping mechanisms are going to appear in the creation code specific to that instance.

Which version of GM are you using?

(09-03-2019, 09:24 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: Yeah, Hello's warping mechanisms are going to appear in the creation code specific to that instance.

Which version of GM are you using?

The original Studio.

If you're using GM Studio 1.x, go to the room editor and right-click on the object for which you want to modify the creation code. This will make a menu appear. One of the options on the menu is "Creation Code".

If you're having trouble finding a warp object, it might be hidden by another object or tile in front of it.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 09-14-2019

(09-03-2019, 09:43 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: If you're using GM Studio 1.x, go to the room editor and right-click on the object for which you want to modify the creation code. This will make a menu appear. One of the options on the menu is "Creation Code".

If you're having trouble finding a warp object, it might be hidden by another object or tile in front of it.

I think I'm just gonna get other people to add warps. I'll create levels with pipes, but I'll tell you where I'd like them to take the player. same goes for vines. Is that bad? if it is, I'll just stop posting.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 09-17-2019

(09-03-2019, 09:43 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: If you're using GM Studio 1.x, go to the room editor and right-click on the object for which you want to modify the creation code. This will make a menu appear. One of the options on the menu is "Creation Code".

Vinny, I'm kinda lost, but I think i've (somewhat) Figured it out. I'm putting in myroom = (area name) but the spot I picked won't warp Mario. if there's something else to it, let me know. I also found a kind of warp that lists coordinates on the grid. The thing is I think those coordinates are inaccurate. i may have to look at them, though.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Gate - 09-20-2019

On the create event of the warp object you have a set of variables, which are the following.
Code:
///Warps Mario to a different room

/*
**  This item uses creation code!
**  postchange = Pick from below: (Optional)
**      0: Mario
**      1: Warp Mario
**      2: Jump Spawn
**      3: Vine Spawn
**  postx = New x coordinate
**  posty = New y coordinate
**  myroom = Destination room (Optional)
*/

You just need to set up postchange to one of those 4 values, for example if you want to make Mario appear on a pipe you set up the following.

Code:
postchange = 1;
postx = 768;
posty = 432;
myroom = room_next(room);

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 12-14-2019

(09-20-2019, 03:43 PM)Gatete Wrote: On the create event of the warp object you have a set of variables, which are the following.
Code:

/*
*/

You just need to set up postchange to one of those 4 values, for example if you want to make Mario appear on a pipe you set up the following.
Code:
postchange = 1;
postx = 768;
posty = 432;
Question, should the numbers always be 768 and 432? or do they have to match a certain point on the grid?

RE: I would like some help, please. - Gate - 12-15-2019

(12-14-2019, 10:50 PM)dreemurr555 Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 03:43 PM)Gatete Wrote: On the create event of the warp object you have a set of variables, which are the following.
Code:

/*
*/

Code:
postchange = 1;
postx = 768;
posty = 432;
Question, should the numbers always be 768 and 432? or do they have to match a certain point on the grid?

No, that was just an example. You set the coordinates of the destination.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 12-15-2019

(12-15-2019, 09:07 AM)Gatete Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 10:50 PM)dreemurr555 Wrote:
Code:

/*
*/

Code:
postchange = 1;
postx = 768;
posty = 432;

No, that was just an example. You set the coordinates of the destination.

You know what might also help me? The notes that Hello included with the engine. It would be nice to know how to access them.

RE: I would like some help, please. - Gate - 12-16-2019

https://hellofangaming.github.io/wiki/HME%20Tutorials.html

You can see the FAQ right here

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 01-14-2020

I think I understand how to make Mario warp, but I have another issue. Does Mario need something to stand on when using obj_warproom? Does he need a pipe to go down?

RE: I would like some help, please. - Videogamejunkie443 - 01-17-2020

(01-14-2020, 08:03 PM)dreemurr555 Wrote: I think I understand how to make Mario warp, but I have another issue. Does Mario need something to stand on when using obj_warproom? Does he need a pipe to go down?

Nevermind, I really am an idiot. Or maybe I'm dense? either way, I couldn't see what was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME THIS WHOLE TIME.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.