MFGG Forums
Add CAPTCHA to registration - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Add CAPTCHA to registration (/showthread.php?tid=2093)

Add CAPTCHA to registration - GeneralGuy - 09-12-2019

It seems that we have more bots joining than actual new members. I think we should add a CAPTCHA to prevent bots from joining and clogging up the member list.

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - Mors - 09-12-2019

Did you actually check the registration page? Laughing

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - GeneralGuy - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 08:23 PM)Mors Wrote: Did you actually check the registration page? Laughing
Yeah. I noticed that all you have to do is click on a box to prove you're human.

What I really meant to say is that we should have a more complex CAPTCAHA, like checking the boxes of all cars, bridges, street lights, etc. or typing out a randomized word.

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - Mors - 09-13-2019

(09-12-2019, 08:36 PM)May Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 08:23 PM)Mors Wrote: Did you actually check the registration page? Laughing
Yeah. I noticed that all you have to do is click on a box to prove you're human.

What I really meant to say is that we should have a more complex CAPTCAHA, like checking the boxes of all cars, bridges, street lights, etc. or typing out a randomized word.

The whole randomized words captcha system isn't used anymore, and as for the clicking cars one, that's what we currently have. The system is smart enough to not show those if it's 100% sure that you're not a bot.

There's an even more automated system where you don't even have to click anything and it just does its checks at the background, but other than that this is as good as any captcha system goes.

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - VinnyVideo - 09-14-2019

I've never been a fan of the "select pictures of cars" captcha and its brethren. A lot of the pictures are blurry or ambiguous, and it almost always takes me several attempts to get it right. This is a suboptimal user experience, and there's a risk it could cause legitimate users to become frustrated and give up on registering.

(Fortunately, it seems that we're using a different captcha right now.)

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - OssieTheOstrich - 09-15-2019

(09-13-2019, 08:26 AM)Mors Wrote: The system is smart enough to not show those if it's 100% sure that you're not a bot.

If it's so smart, then why do bots come on the forums from time to time? Hmmm? Thinking

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - GothGirlGangBlasterMaster - 09-16-2019

(09-15-2019, 06:20 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:26 AM)Mors Wrote: The system is smart enough to not show those if it's 100% sure that you're not a bot.

If it's so smart, then why do bots come on the forums from time to time? Hmmm? Thinking

now that a lot of dirt poor countries have widespread internet access, it's become cheaper and more effective to hire a human being than to write a spam bot

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - Angustia - 09-18-2019

Good idea May!

A Captcha before every post would also be a nice addition!

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - GeneralGuy - 10-12-2019

(09-18-2019, 02:29 PM)Angustia Wrote: Good idea May!

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.  Confused

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - OssieTheOstrich - 10-13-2019

(10-12-2019, 03:05 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote:

It's sarcasm.

But seriously, why not try making the CAPTCHA a bit more full-proof.

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - Evil Yoshi Toes - 10-13-2019

(10-13-2019, 07:54 AM)Ostrich101 Wrote:

It's sarcasm.

But seriously, why not try making the CAPTCHA a bit more full-proof.
If it's actual people and not bots who are getting through the captcha, then making it harder would only be more inconvenient for actual members and won't stop the people from getting in. I'm not sure how many of the spammers are actual people vs how many are bots though. We do get quite a few spammers but they're pretty easy to get rid of at least.

RE: Add CAPTCHA to registration - Angustia - 10-13-2019

Half and half. Your idea is great, mine is just an exaggeration. Though some places do actually implement that system I don't think it would fit the culture(?) of this place.  Hope that clears things up, friend. : )

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.