MFGG Forums
DEMO Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Development Showcase (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: DEMO Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) (/showthread.php?tid=213)

Pages: 1 2

Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - Lu9 - 12-07-2017

The award-winning sequel to the original LatQfN...
Is now here on the new MFGG forums!
With a brand new demo:
  • Even more secrets!
  • More finished levels!
  • The first boss battle!
  • "Attract Mode"!
  • New debug screen in the style of GB/GBC Demoscene Intros/Cracktros.... (although this is only for me... you actually will never see this in-game yourself. Mwahahaha... or will you)
  • Reworked soundtrack... yet again! (And maybe will STILL change!)
  • Ported to GameMaker Studio!
  • More mini-games!
  • New excuse-I MEAN... "Lore" for the game's cartridge and performance: "It includes the new and revolutionary N0TG03 expansion chip! It expands the memory and allows for mode 7-ish effects and 3 extra sound channels (2 waves, 1 noise) dedicated to sound effects."
  • The game now saves!
  • The passwords for secret levels are no longer a "guessing game" - you can now unlock "extra passwords" using the green stars you collect in the normal levels.
  • Works on Super Game Boy®!*
*of course, it's just an additional "SGB mode" which adds a custom border around the game.

Here are 3 videos showcasing some of the new things:

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Evil Yoshi Toes - 12-07-2017

Looking great so far. The SGB mode is cute

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - VinnyVideo - 12-07-2017

I'm definitely looking forward to it! It's interesting how Luigi can jump almost the height of the screen. GBC-style resolution is a bit awkward to use for a platformer, but the camera system looks well-suited to this. I love the "SGB Mode" idea.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - DustinVG - 12-07-2017

super game boy couldn't be used with gbc games in real life 0/10

Jokes aside, it looks fun. Interested in playin' it.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Render8 - 12-08-2017

This looks really good. I spent some time actually watching all the videos and have to say this is like a huge difference over the first Luigi and the Quest for Nothing. Looking forward to a good play of it.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Lu9 - 12-08-2017

(12-07-2017, 11:54 PM)Dustinvgmaster Wrote: super game boy couldn't be used with gbc games in real life 0/10
you're right... unless they're made with the SGB already in mind! (see: GB toy story, GBC a bug's life, and some donkey kong game I forgot the name)

@Vinny I know the GBC resolution isn't the best for platformers with NES-sized sprites like this
but I just really love GB/GBC aesthetics and since it's something I grew up with (even though I never owned any gameboy system ironically enough) I thought I'd give it an homage.
And also if you hate yourself so much there is an option to make the camera work like most Mario games (in a wider screen of course)
where it is always centered, and never ahead of you...

EDIT : I'd add a poll for something important here, but I think you can't add one after you already posted a thread, so...
To unlock the secret level passwords, would it be better to:
a) Find them as items hidden within the levels
or
b) Buy them using Green Stars you've collected
?

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Minerador Slime - 12-08-2017

*Tries to find where SGB mode is located*
*Jumps to the end of the video and finds it weird how the video still shows Robotinik*
*Finds out that SGB means Super Gameboy*
*Finds out about the border*
*Realizes the SGB mode was active throught the entire video*

I was going to select B because it would give coins more of a use but then i found out that it is written "Green Stars" and not "Coins"
Meh, still selecting B, since it gives Green Stars more of a use.

Coins already have a use - they're accumulated, so you can use them to play in item/lives mini-games (or to unlock the one unlockable mini-game...)
So this would be a good use for the green stars instead...

I'm also ditching the trophies (achievements) system... it's not really that useful. 

Anyways, some more progress for today:
Flying carpets reprogrammed! With a new fancy countdown. Now the game is almost back to being as complete as a previous lost GMK source from 2016.
[Image: VeD795X.gif]

you saw nothing

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Willsaber - 12-08-2017

"Perfect games don't exis--"
[Image: ZZalTIL.png]

(12-08-2017, 07:24 AM)Willsaber Wrote: "Perfect games don't exis--"
[Image: ZZalTIL.png]

pssh..... where'd you get that from?
this is a serious game with a serious plot.
you can't just put memes in it...................................

by the way, it's just for show. it won't be in the final game.
..........or maybe it will. but if it does it will be unlockable.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - VinnyVideo - 12-08-2017

I actually liked the achievements system, although it's not super-important to the overall game experience.

As for your poll, (b) makes more sense, as it's nice when the Green Stars (and similar collectibles) have a purpose.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Willsaber - 12-08-2017

(12-08-2017, 07:33 AM)Lu9 Wrote: pssh..... where'd you get that from?
this is a serious game with a serious plot.
you can't just put memes in it...................................
A Lu9 game without memes is not a real Lu9 game.  Laughing

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - VinnyVideo - 12-08-2017

(12-08-2017, 05:35 PM)Willsaber Wrote: A Lu9 game without memes is not a real Lu9 game.  Laughing

A Lu9 game also requires surprisingly good music from questionable-quality licensed GBC games.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Lu9 - 12-09-2017

With all this recent progress the game is almost ready for another demo release!

Now, here's a major background overhaul - with dithered gradients.
[Image: BHmi58m.png]
[Image: kPI5Zsx.png]
[Image: O7L1f6A.png]
[Image: AZWEE7E.png]
[Image: WcHM4zm.png]

________

Also, what do y'all think about redesigning the SGB border? 
[Image: zaISpPA.png]
It looks alright as it is, but maybe could be a bit distracting.
It's also not needed to stick to the "8-bitness" of the actual game,
since the SGB is on the SNES...
So if you have any ideas...

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - Lu9 - 01-06-2018

Hey! It's been a while, hm?

Today I was thinking about the possibility of making LatQfN2 "backwards compatible" with the original GB.
By using a shader! Since there is a SGB mode, why not.
However, the shader has to be applied after a grayscale shader already has been applied... and I don't know how to do that... but if I did, it would look kinda like this:
[Image: DS1HCHOWkAAFIaZ.jpg:large]
[Image: DS1H8y2X4AAZL5A.jpg:large]
[Image: DS1HnivWkAAvIx9.jpg:large]
[Image: DS1LW48X4AAv0WB.jpg:large]

Think it looks interesting?
I don't know how far I would go with this, what I know is that I'm not gonna recolor every single graphic manually just for a silly feature like this, so I use a shader... Maybe I can find a way to make the coloring better within the shader, but I know nothing about shaders :V

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 - VinnyVideo - 01-06-2018

The Gameboy-ification could be fun, but don't worry about it if you can't figure out how to get the shader to cooperate. (I haven't done anything with shaders either - I probably should, though.)

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - Lu9 - 02-24-2018

The new demo is HERE!

Check first post.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - Vitiman - 02-24-2018

I just want to say the Gameboy-ification mockup looks really muddy because of the checkerboard grid effect you have going on. I noticed in the past you have attempted many things to mimic an LCD screen at a 1px size, and none of them really work or are worth the effort of implementing; an LCD screen would absolutely not give you thick scanlines, for instance.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - Lu9 - 02-25-2018

The GB shader is now pretty different than those mockups. And more customizable too, as in the data folder you can change an image that contains the patterns for the dithering/recoloring, but overall it's not really important, just a bonus feature.

--

Also I am aware of game crashes happening whenever you die while a ninji, dino torch, clappin' chuck and thwomp are on screen.
So if you didn't know, avoid them for now.

RE: Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (2018 Demo RELEASED!) - VinnyVideo - 02-25-2018

Yay, it's here! I played through the demo. I had fun, but I noticed a few things that need tweaking.

1-2 has a grammar issue that bugs me: "Collecting Green Stars allow" should be "Collecting Green Stars allows".

If you throw a fireball at an enemy, a coin appears. If the coin bounces onto a block, the coin's gravity will be set to 0, and it'll never fall back down. This can happen near the start of 1-3.

If you hit a P-Switch and lose a life, the music keeps playing.

If you do a spin jump while ducking, the spin jump sound plays, but you don't actually do a spin jump. But maybe this is intentional.

Swimming mechanics feel way too slippery.

I got an error message after entering extra password #3.

I'm glad that Stuart Little-related music returns. I like Kevin MacLeod's stuff, but I find it hilarious that someone would make covers of stock music.

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.