MFGG Forums
gwt rid of swear filter - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: gwt rid of swear filter (/showthread.php?tid=215)

gwt rid of swear filter - Nessa - 12-07-2017

even tho curses are autochanged to **** ppl still become a repremand for swearing anyway. i think instead of a filter that altres the posts after post gets made the post should not be able to post at all if it contains bad laguage

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Zero Kirby - 12-07-2017

You only get reprimanded for excessive swearing or directing it as part of an insult towards other users. So just don't do those two things.

Preventing a post entirely seems a step too far to me, personally.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Willsaber - 12-07-2017

What is the point of censoring swear words? The connotation remains regardless, the posts just become less funny.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - VinnyVideo - 12-07-2017

@sl0shy During development of the MyBB boards, I tested out a plugin that prevents users from making posts that contain certain words. This was intended as an anti-spam mechanism - there are certain words that spambots and trolls commonly use that legitimate users almost never use. However, it's possible for systems like this to cause false positives - it might block posts that are completely legitimate. Even during the testing phase, people noticed some potential problems this plugin could cause, and we're not using it right now. (As my understanding goes, GameFAQs once used a particularly overzealous form of this system that automatically moderated all posts containing the word "Hitler", among numerous others.)

@Willsaber At its core, MFGG is a Mario fansite. Nintendo games are not known for profanity and other edgy fare, so it's reasonable to expect that a community based on Mario wouldn't have a lot of M-rated content in our discussions. We want MFGG to be enjoyable to a broad audience - some new members, especially younger ones, might be turned off by a community if it had lots of unfiltered swear words.

As ZK said, swearing isn't a warnable offense, unless it's directed at another member or used in excess (or if you try to bypass the filter with creative use of spacing or extended characters). However, it's entirely possible to communicate well without injecting every sentence with copulatory or defecatory references, and we don't want to encourage people to swear a lot on MFGG.

(It would be funnier if we filtered more words to "French Connection™" or "sauerkraut" or "VINNY IS THE BEST ADMIN EVER".)

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - mit - 12-07-2017

(12-07-2017, 11:47 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: (It would be funnier if we filtered more words to "French Connection™" or "sauerkraut" or "VINNY IS THE BEST ADMIN EVER".)

no it really wouldnt

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Pedigree - 12-08-2017

I still maintain that the swear filter should be something a user can turn on or off. You can still moderate on the basis of excessive swearing but I don't like reading posts to find any of their meaning changed by "funny" swear filters or words censored by filters that are too sensitive like the classic example "yoshitennis.jpg"

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Willsaber - 12-08-2017

(12-07-2017, 11:47 PM)VinnyVideo Wrote: @Willsaber At its core, MFGG is a Mario fansite. Nintendo games are not known for profanity and other edgy fare, so it's reasonable to expect that a community based on Mario wouldn't have a lot of M-rated content in our discussions. We want MFGG to be enjoyable to a broad audience - some new members, especially younger ones, might be turned off by a community if it had lots of unfiltered swear words.

As ZK said, swearing isn't a warnable offense, unless it's directed at another member or used in excess (or if you try to bypass the filter with creative use of spacing or extended characters). However, it's entirely possible to communicate well without injecting every sentence with copulatory or defecatory references, and we don't want to encourage people to swear a lot on MFGG.
But if the point of the swear filter is to discourage swearing, why isn't swearing just prohibited entirely? It would more effectively maintain a clean environment.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Zero Kirby - 12-08-2017

Because then you get into the situation of "what words should we ban outright" and false positives and filenames and all that. "Hell" isn't filtered, yet I'd be willing to bet there are people out there who think it should be. Can't please everyone.

The swear filter isn't meant to discourage swearing, either (because clearly, it doesn't work), it's as Vinny said - it's simply to make the site more accessible to a wider audience. I like Pedigree's idea of having a by-user toggle for it like we used to back in the IPB days, but it's not necessary, either.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Syaxamaphone - 12-08-2017

Just be passionate without swears.

You can do it I believe in you

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Willsaber - 12-08-2017

(12-08-2017, 01:53 AM)Zero Kirby Wrote: Because then you get into the situation of "what words should we ban outright" and false positives and filenames and all that. "Hell" isn't filtered, yet I'd be willing to bet there are people out there who think it should be. Can't please everyone.

The swear filter isn't meant to discourage swearing, either (because clearly, it doesn't work), it's as Vinny said - it's simply to make the site more accessible to a wider audience. I like Pedigree's idea of having a by-user toggle for it like we used to back in the IPB days, but it's not necessary, either.

Ah, okay. That makes sense to me.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - Money - 12-10-2017

Im a supporter of the swear filter being toggleable, im a big boy i can handle seeing the f*** words

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - VinnyVideo - 12-10-2017

I actually can't find a way to make the swear filter toggleable in MyBB. I could be missing something, though.

RE: gwt rid of swear filter - PAC-BANZAI - 12-13-2017

Can't we just have swears be filtered to words like 'Frick' or 'Poop'?

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.