MFGG Forums
Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: The Dungeon (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: The Vault (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Competitions (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" (/showthread.php?tid=2168)

Pages: 1 2 3

Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - GamerInGeorgia - 11-12-2019

Sonic Mania was a game that tried to take Sonic the Hedgehog back to his roots, adopting the pixel art style of the classic Sonic trilogy. What if Nintendo did the same thing? What if they gave one of their classic games the so-called "mania treatment?" This time around, the theme is giving an classic game of your choice the "mania treatment."
Rules:
- Create a modernized mock-up of an NES, SNES, or Gameboy game. (See examples below to get a clearer picture.)
Don't just recolor sprites; be more creative.
- You can recreate a screenshot if you so desire.
- Your recreation's sprites,tiles, and aspect ratio can be bigger or smaller than the original's; they don't have to be the same size.
- To add a bit of a challenge (depending on what you're trying to do), you are limited to 32 colors in your mock-up(s). Use them wisely!
- Entries are due by 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, December 2, 2019
Examples:
Mario Bros. Mock-Up by @GamerInGeorgia
Super Mario Bros. Mania Concept by @lean

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Evan.F - 11-13-2019

funny, I'm making a smb1 remake in Mari0  so...
Quote: Don't just reco- Don't just recolor sprites; be more creative.lor sprites; be more creative.-
Quote:- To add a bit of a challenge (depending on what you're trying to do), you are limited to 32 colors in your mock-up(s). Use them wisely!
 oh... oh no...

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 11-13-2019

When you say "Don't Recolour The Sprites"

Are you saying that we should get the OG sprites and edit them to be more mania like?

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - GamerInGeorgia - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 04:29 AM)Slug101 Wrote: When you say "Don't Recolour The Sprites"

Are you saying that we should get the OG sprites and edit them to be more mania like?
That's exactly what you shouldn't do. You need to recreate the sprites in a more modern way (like more colors, detail, shading, etc.). Though if you edit the original sprite to a point where you can't tell that it was edited, then that should be fine.

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 11-13-2019

Also: Nintendo NES games only is no fun. What if i wanted to make a SNES, Flash or GameBoy game mania-fied?

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Clobbah - 11-13-2019

(11-13-2019, 09:17 AM)Slug101 Wrote: Also: Nintendo NES games only is no fun. What if i wanted to make a SNES, Flash or GameBoy game mania-fied?

Why would you want to do Flash?

I can see snes and Gameboy, but who's making super Mario bus hd

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - GamerInGeorgia - 11-13-2019

I'll allow that. You can do a SNES or Gameboy (OG, Color, or Advance) game if you want. I'll update the OP as well.

Here's a SMB3 mockup I made in a day, 31 colours in total, no level in particular, might make some more mockups,

[Image: file.php?id=447]

In the meantime here's some old stuff.

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - GeneralGuy - 11-13-2019

If we're limited to just 32 colors, then it makes sense for it to this to be NES and GameBoy [Color] only. SNES and GBA can both display up to 32,768 colors on-screen at once.

(11-13-2019, 03:34 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: If we're limited to just 32 colors, then it makes sense for it to this to be NES and GameBoy only. SNES and GBA can both display up to 32,768 colors on-screen at once.

He said "depending on what you're trying to do", as in the 32 colour rule is optional

(11-13-2019, 05:53 PM)Evan.F Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 03:34 PM)GeneralGuy Wrote: If we're limited to just 32 colors, then it makes sense for it to this to be NES and GameBoy only. SNES and GBA can both display up to 32,768 colors on-screen at once.

He said "depending on what you're trying to do", as in the 32 colour rule is optional
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in the OP, but the 32-color rule is not optional. I said "depending on what you're trying to do" since the 32-color rule could be simple to abide by depending on which game you want to recreate.

That would just add to the challenge of a 32-color palette. Also, I don't particularly remember any SNES or GBA games displaying anything close to 32,768 colors at once. Though I do agree that the GBA might be a bit too recent.

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Evan.F - 11-14-2019

also here the reverse of it. VVVVVV as a Gameboy game.
[Image: file.php?id=448]

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Roo - 11-14-2019

The 32-color rule is a bit weird, especially considering that both examples use more.

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - lean - 11-14-2019

nice! i've updated the thingy again tho:
[Image: smb1mania_mockup_concept.png]
Other Big Brin

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - ~Smoke~ - 11-14-2019

(11-14-2019, 10:59 AM)Roo Wrote: The 32-color rule is a bit weird, especially considering that both examples use more.

I was just thinking the same thing!
I'm pretty sure Sonic Mania itself isn't even limited to that anymore

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - GamerInGeorgia - 11-15-2019

(11-14-2019, 10:59 AM)Roo Wrote: The 32-color rule is a bit weird, especially considering that both examples use more.
What exactly do you find weird about it? Isn't it normal for spriting/pixel art competitions to have rules that mandate a limited color palette? Regardless, since a few people have finished/started their entries sticking to the 32 color rule, I'll keep the rule the way it is for now. Plus, 32 colors provides you with a lot of flexibility if you ask me. Regarding the examples, I don't know about Lean's, but my piece definitely has less than 32 colors (feel free to check it yourself).

@Evan.F - You're work is pretty cool, but could I please ask you to keep non-entry material out of this thread? You are free to showcase your art in the Arts Board, but this thread is for showing off your entry only.

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Great Destination Tracks 3 - 11-15-2019

(11-13-2019, 09:46 AM)Clobbah Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 09:17 AM)Slug101 Wrote: Also: Nintendo NES games only is no fun. What if i wanted to make a SNES, Flash or GameBoy game mania-fied?

just an example

(11-13-2019, 12:10 PM)Evan.F Wrote: I can see snes and Gameboy, but who's making super Mario bus hd

i was thinking more likes of Vehicles or Bloxorz

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - Evan.F - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 03:23 AM)Slug101 Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 09:46 AM)Clobbah Wrote:

just an example

(11-13-2019, 12:10 PM)Evan.F Wrote: I can see snes and Gameboy, but who's making super Mario bus hd

i was thinking more likes of Vehicles or Bloxorz

Failure, turn overv, failed to carry passenger! Make persistent efforts please!

RE: Spriting Competition: Giving The "Mania Treatment" - ~Smoke~ - 11-15-2019

Super Mario World Mania - Bowser Final Boss Battle

[Image: PfuxkRe.png]
[Image: PyhHITu.png]
[Image: 1A4cvz8.png]

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.