MFGG Forums
I'm Retiring from Site Staff - Printable Version

+- MFGG Forums (https://forums.mfgg.net)
+-- Forum: MFGG (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: News and Events (https://forums.mfgg.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: I'm Retiring from Site Staff (/showthread.php?tid=2184)

I'm Retiring from Site Staff - Mr. Yoshbert - 12-02-2019

I've come to make an announcement. No, it's not about my plan to blast the Moon Kingdom with a laser- it's about me stepping down from my Main Site Quality Control role.

I've been at the accepting-and-declining-and-sorting-and-queuing game for about five years now. An interesting experience, to be sure; lots of lessons learned, even more mistakes made. A decent way of improving one's sense of responsibility... even if it's all for a Mario fan game site. But keeping at this rigmarole for years on end starts to drain on you a tad; you can only sift through so many hastily-rushed edits and sloppily-recolored sprites before you start to go a little bit crazy. Not to mention the dozens of pages of username change requests and reports of some obscure submission from 8 years ago being placed in the wrong category, as well as the horribly outdated admin control panel that makes it impossible to clear them out en masse (yo @HylianDev, where's LumaSMS at). Let's not forget the all-too-occasional dry spells in which the queue is deader than two doornails.

Yeah, it's been very draining. In fact, being on MFGG for 12 years has been rather exhausting, especially in recent years. I'm disappointed in how certain aspects of the site and forums are being handled, and the community... well, I look at how some people act in the official Discord server and let's just say that their cornbread ain't fully done in the middle. On top of that we've had a few bouts of internal and external drama in the past few years, spurring many past staffers to leave MFGG entirely and fracturing the user base even more than it had ever been after the Minus World Split. There's also the site's major, and unfortunately clunky, transition to hosting resources that don't have to do with that bing-binging, wahoo-ing Italian plumber. These shakeups left a lot of pieces to pick up and things start to look like a trash heap when you leave them out for too long.

Don't take this as me burning bridges. While I think things have been rough for MFGG lately, I'm still rooting for it to recover. I've enjoyed my time here on the forums and site ever since the Taloncrossing days and those fond old memories will never die. I'm just getting too old and bored to want to have an active part in it anymore (you've probably inferred that from my post count).

That being said, the Quality Control queue is in good hands. Clobbah, Langton, Cruise Elroy, and Gatete have been pretty on-the-ball when it comes to handling that stuff; they're doing a great job. Gonna miss that shiny "Main Site Admin" banner on my profile, though. Gonna miss that shiny badge, too. Excellent pension plan, though; I heard the severance pay is tight.

Mors and the rest of the crew have big plans to make this place even better than it is now. I'd love to see those improvement come to fruition before I actually turn old and gray in real life (again, HD, where's LumaSMS at????). Perhaps they could get a coalition with all the other Nintendo fan game sub-communities going and truly bolster this silly little hobby of making goofy games starring Mario and co. for fun. It's a difficult feat in this world where the mentality that "Nintendo is going to take down every friggin' fan project ever" is growing all the more pervasive (with no signs of stopping, sadly), but not an insurmountable one. 

[blah blah, yadda yadda, more sentimental crap goes here]

Alright, I'm heading out. Not back to the shadows of the main site as usual, but... out the door. Whatever.
Thanks for everything, Mario Fan Games Gallery Galaxy, and good luck.

[Image: pE7fAwA.gif]

...What do you mean there's no severance pay

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - Hyper - 12-02-2019

Funny enough I agree with most of your remarks. Sorry to see you go but I wish you the best. Also HylianDev, where is LumaSMS?

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - Evan.F - 12-02-2019

I wish you well in your future work and I respect your decision to step down. I know I wouldn't be able to do a job like that for 12 years.

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - GeneralGuy - 12-02-2019

Yeah, I agree. Constantly seeing Mario recolors pop up on the main site would be enough to drive anybody insane, especially if you've done it for 12 years. You should have enough retirement money saved up from working for MFGG to take several trips around the world and buy a few mansions. Thank you for your service, Mr. Yoshbert. I'll miss you as a Quality Control staff member.

Shh no tears, only dreams now

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - GamerInGeorgia - 12-02-2019

It's sad to see you go, but you've done your part in making MFGG what it is today and more, so you're more than entitled to retirement after 5 years of QC. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - lean - 12-02-2019

aww, best of lucks in your life, you'll need it :3

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - VinnyVideo - 12-02-2019

Sorry to hear you're stepping down, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Thanks for everything you've done during your time as QC.

RE: I'm Retiring from Site Staff - Yakibomb - 12-07-2019

Unfortunately for MFGG we lost another great staff member. On the flip-side, there's more to come for MFGG, and the direction will be forward thanks to your help.

Blow that warp whistle and let that ship sail to new lands you've never anticipated seeing. Carry the value from MFGG and be brave going forward.

(I actually didn't realize you were an admin until just now. Oop)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.